Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anyone doing Lubbock 70.3?
Quote | Reply
I was out running the trails yesterday and took this picture of the new swim venue for this weekend's Lubbock 70.3 and one of T1 (hopefully, I can get the images to show correctly). Also, if you are in town early this week a bunch of us do a regular ride on Tues/Thurs (about 50k, three good hills) starting at the Chisum Truck Stop on Slaton Hwy (SE part of town). Y'all are welcome to join the fun! Wheels roll at 6pm.

"The more you suffer, the more it shows you really care.ā€
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing Lubbock 70.3? [BradTTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Not this year.

I have done the Buffalo Spring Lake 1/2 Ironman probably 15 times and enjoyed it. Until Galveston it was my favorite race. After last years race I promised my wife I would not do Lubbock again.

We are moving to New Mexico next year so Lubbock will be almost local so I may be back.

I am looking forward to reading race reports from this year race.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Group ride starting from a truck stop. Sounds about right for Lubbock.

Disclosure: I lived in Lubbock for 3 years, have done the race at least half a dozen times and think fondly of my time there. My wife, not so much. Sheā€™s never been back since we moved 20 years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing Lubbock 70.3? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still holding onto that hate after 20 years, huh?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there but not getting into town until Friday morning. Thanks for the invite!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not doing the 70.3, but I'll be doing the Olympic distance on Saturday.

I take it the water will be wetsuit legal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ll be there. Wasnā€™t planning on coming back for the torture this year but got super sick in March that screwed up my whole spring and now itching to get a race in.

Mixed feelings about the course change, would like to get revenge on that damn hill on the old run course, but in reality Iā€™d probably end up walking it again for the 5th and 6th times. šŸ˜‚
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be there. The previous run courses were a great challenge, but I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do on a flat run course.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I won't be there but wanted to say good luck to everyone racing this weekend! Be sure to drink lots of fluids/electrolytes in the hot weather.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ill be there for my first half, getting into town on Friday
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ill be getting in Friday. Any good bike routes to ride on Friday or Saturday? I was planning on riding around Dunbar lake on Friday.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing Lubbock 70.3? [Doc_Umberto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the road around Dunbar lake is part of the the canyon lakes bike route. Just follow the green signs. It'll take you by the windmill museum, Joyland amusement park,... just keep going until it ends at North Loop 289 (the last lake) where you can turn around and go back. It's an easy, low traffic ride. Hebrews Coffee shop is at one of the lakes (it's the same building as a radio station) if you need an espresso.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My last two 70.3 races had whitecaps on the swim. Sure hoping this one is better.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing Lubbock 70.3? [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know the water temp?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing Lubbock 70.3? [scmbtrek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://ironmanlubbock.com/assets/images/faqs.pdf

If you look through there, it mentions average race day temps of 70-75F so it sound like it should be wetsuit legal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any reports from the race? Wouldn't be surprised if I ended up suffering through this one next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As always, Mike and Marti provide a great race experience. The two transitions were well orchestrated. The lake was calm and easily wetsuit legal. The bike course was faster due to a few less canyon walls and better surface. The run was a step further from the energy-lab days, but well-supported and flat ā€˜n fast... bring your sunscreen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race Report IM 70.3 Lubbock

This is my 10th time to compete in the IM Buffalo Springs / Lubbock 70.3 Triathlons. As dedicated Triathletes themselves, Mike and Marti Greer always put on a great event and this year was no exception even with the challenges of moving the venue. While I will always have nostalgic memories of Energy Lab and Church Hill, I much prefer the new course. Sort of like my first car - a 1973 Pontiac beater. Great memories, but I'll keep my late model car with modern conveniences thank you very much.

Swim Venue
Dunbar Lake offers a much more protected swim than Buffalo Springs. Even with high winds, I would imagine the surface of this lake would remain fairly smooth. Water temp was similar to past years in Buffalo. Wetsuit legal - however I wore a swim skin as I have done in the past few years at BSLT. Big change in the swim is the move to a rolling rather than wave start. Very well organized and virtually eliminated the jostling of a wave start. Best benefit is that I could start with my training buddies who are in different age groups. Most glaring opportunity for improvement was need for additional porta-potties. I'm sure Mike and Marti will address this next year.

Bike Route
The new bike route covers some of the same territory of the BSLT route. You still have the 4 steep, punchy climbs; the two FM400 climbs, Horseshoe and Spiral Staircase. New route offers smooth roads except for a 3 mile stretch on 19th Street. The last few miles of the ride are on Marsha Sharp Highway. Smooth and fast - even cycling into a modest (by Lubbock standards) headwind. There were 3 well supported feed zones on the bike route, and given that these were on the out-and-back portion of the route means that there were 6 opportunities to take on nutrition.

Run Route
Run was a 2 loop course on the Texas Tech campus. Great venue for athletes and spectators alike. Two out and backs on the run course where you can see your buddies tracking you down. Well supported aid stations every mile. Finish was in Jones Stadium (Texas Tech football stadium). Post race medical support remains the best of any triathlon in which I have participated. Well staffed and highly attentive to the needs of athletes finished a 70.3 in late June Texas temperatures.

I'll definitely be back next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing Lubbock 70.3? [Wiland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed with everything you said; this was my third time out here and thought the race was great. Loved the new run course through campus and the volunteers were outstanding!

I wish WTC would throw the Greerā€™s a bone through. This was the 30th anniversary - no mention of the race on any of its social media platforms, only Germany and CDA. Mike Greer at the athletes meeting said how he was thankful folks from WTC Tampa decided to come out to Lubbock and when he asked them to come say a few words, turns out they werenā€™t even in the stadium. No pros this year either, though I expect thatā€™s perhaps from a lack of prize money?

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing Lubbock 70.3? [Wiland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll also second everything Wiland said.

This was the eleventh time I've done the race since 2002, and this year's course was my favorite. Still challenging, but not as extreme. I liked the TT start for the swim, and it seemed to do a good job cutting down on the banging and bumping on the swim. From my MOP position, there is always very little (if any) drafting on the bike. Moving the run to the TT campus was especially nice.

They handled the two transition areas and transportation arrangements very well. Great job by all of the volunteers!

Definitely could have used more porta-potties at T-1, and I'm sure they'll take care of this for next year's race.

Thanks, Mike and Marti. It was a great race.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with others. It was a good race, really enjoyed it.

What I like about it:
  • Smaller race, with one lone exception I saw, everyone was riding their own race and had plenty of room to do so.
  • Great aid station volunteers on bike and run. Volunteers at bike stations were running to make the handoffs easier.
  • They had an awesome kids triathlon the day before that both my boys did. They had a blast.
  • I love the in and out of the canyon on the ride.
  • The new run course was great. I liked that it was only 2 laps and that it was broken up quite well, went by quickly. And flat! There were opportunities for huge tangents and I only ended up with 12.8 on the gps though.

Room for improvement:
  • They had a practice swim, but they didn't let us swim out to the first turn buoy for sighting recon.
  • The 2 transitions make run nutrition a problem. My flask was super warm by the time I got to the run. I don't really want to have to go put nutrition into my run gear bag the morning of the race then have to go to the swim start/T1. I guess that worked fine for folks that used the shuttle, but I had my family with me and didn't need to. Would be nice to have option of bringing run gear bag to T1 race morning then having them shuttle those over to T2 for you.
  • No warmup swim allowed.
  • On the bike back into town there was a spot where you're eventually riding on a freeway, and there was this big exit and there was no signs or police there to say where to go. Luckily I guessed right and went the correct way but I was freaking out for a minute there.
  • On the run, the first out and back section wasn't well marked which side of the road runners in each direction should be on and it was chaos (compounded by the turnaround sign having the arrow in the incorrect direction).
  • Out of their control, but would be super nice if the 2 winding climbs were repaved. You can't really bomb them because they're so bumpy, too risky.

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing Lubbock 70.3? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race man. You EMJ guys were killing it

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing Lubbock 70.3? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing Lubbock 70.3? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
  • On the bike back into town there was a spot where you're eventually riding on a freeway, and there was this big exit and there was no signs or police there to say where to go. Luckily I guessed right and went the correct way but I was freaking out for a minute there.
  • On the run, the first out and back section wasn't well marked which side of the road runners in each direction should be on and it was chaos (compounded by the turnaround sign having the arrow in the incorrect direction).
Agree with your observations, with the following two notes.

You were probably at the pointy end. By the time I (along with the rest of the MOP) made it to the off ramp, there was a police vehicle there with its lights on and the officer directing us to take the exit. On that part of the run, there were several volunteers shouting, telling us to run on the left side, and everyone seemed to have figured this out by then anyway. (I don't remember looking at the arrow at the turnaround.)

Could be these were issues no one had foreseen and they were addressed "on the fly"?

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone doing Lubbock 70.3? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, they were definitely fixing the run issue on the fly. When I went down that out and back the first time, there were cones all the way across the road before you took the right. Then the next time they were gone, then by the time I got back there after making the turnaround they had them spitting the turn in half so people would start down that direction on the correct side.

On the bike one, Iā€™m sure just having more people on the course sorted that one out. You are correct in that I didnā€™t have anyone to follow to know where to go. And it was the exit prior to the one with the police officer, just before going under and overpass.

Most likely just first year course issues, but you gotta make it easy on us that far into the race. Our brains are not near full capacity by that point. šŸ˜‚
Quote Reply

Prev Next