Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone been to Fast Splits in MA?
Quote | Reply
Saw their website and was really tempted by a Litespeed Saber... so I decided to take an end of season 'road trip' to the store in Arlington to see what is was all about.

Despite the high tech website, the store appears decidedly low tech. They only had (decidely few) Guru and Cervelo bikes in the store and not a fit-bike in sight. The store assistant didn't seem to know much about bikes in general (let alone fitting - surely not FIST certified?) and didn't seem to have a clue about the Litespeed and QR bikes on the website.

Not wanting to waste my trip, I tried on some Saucony running shoes....but they didn't have my size (something about ordering problems?) and generally they seemed really low on stock.

Has anyone else suffered these same problems or was this just simply a case of 'end-of-season stock shortage'? (but what about the fit-bike?)

All-in-all....great concept, shame about the store.

David V.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone been to Fast Splits in MA? [Barend_shifter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there in mid-September shopping for a wetsuit, and I did buy one (and I am happy with my purchase,) but it was the only one in my size. Again, I am happy with the purchase. I too thought the inventory was a little thin, but chalked it up as a new store and cost of inventory. They seemed to be well stocked with clothing, but the bikes and components seemed minimul.

As a relative newcomer to the sport, I wouldn't say it was a great visit. More like go in, buy what you need, then leave. I will probably make another trip in a few months and see if there is any change...

Ray G
Last edited by: Ray G: Oct 23, 03 17:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went in right after they opened. there were a couple of people there who were very knowledgeable and helpful, but one person at the counter seemed like they were a clerk. They had okay stock of wetsuits, and some bikes. It seemed to me that they stocked a lot of the items they could sell a lot of, such as clothing, but not a lot of the high dollar inventory items. I think that for the bikes, they would probably have you select the bike from their displays then they would fit you and order the correct size for you.

I talked to the clerk, and he got the triathlete guy from out back. Triathlete guy told me that a basic bike fitting consisted of fitting you to your bike, making adjustments., etc. The advanced fitting included setting you up on the Computrainer as well, and spending more time with you. In any case, they told me that the bike fitting room was in the back.

Hopefully they will do well, mature, and become able to stock a lot more equipment, but that will take a few years.

I would liken the experience to walking into a rock climbing store in Las Vegas in 1987. Small store, not a lot of stock, but some knowledgeable staff (if you went in at the right time) who could get you whatever you wanted and would be happy to talk.

I remember when WheelWorks opened in Belmont, they were a small BMX bike shop, nothing at all like what they are now.

synopsis:

IMHO, their locations are a bit high-rent and inconvenient as far as parking is concerned. Also, I'd love to do a post-mortem on their website. It's WAY too heavy. Just the home page requires hundreds of image downloads. Whoever designed obviously didn't care about people with low bandwidth internet connections. I have a cable modem and it took a couple of minutes to load the first time I went to the site. I'll assume that they had a lot of money to play with, as I'm pretty confident that a sharp pencil could have cut a lot of their startup costs, starting with more convenient, less expensive locations and running to a lower-tech, easier to use website.

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
three of their people have come through FIST workshops, tho one was from their store in maine.

they're pretty sharp people. it's a start-up. give them a year.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply