Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone Using Final Surge? Reviews?
Quote | Reply
I'm moving from slowly building my running and biking into starting to pre-plan workouts. Side note: don't break your leg. It sucks. If you're over 40, it sucks even more.

In the past I subscribed to Training Peaks (TP) which I really like. But I've been checking out Final Surge and so far I like what I see. I looked on the forums but everything is a year old. Just wondering if anyone is using it, how you like it, limitations, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Using Final Surge? Reviews? [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using it for a couple of months in conjunction with a Matt Fitzgerald training plan which is sync'd to the calendar. It works fine for my purposes - shows me the workouts and details, I can move them around, etc. And it shows good reports of how close I am to the 80/20 intensity breakdown.

The only thing that sucks is that it doesn't sync workouts to my Garmin so I have to create those manually. I tried getting around this by using a TrainingPeaks account, which works fine for bike workouts but not for swim or runs (allegedly this'd work if I had a newer Garmin, not a F3). I think TP is a little overkill for me at the moment, so I'll stick with FS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using Final Surge for about 6 months now and I am very happy with it. I use it as a coach and as an athlete so I have perspective from both sides of the application. I migrated over from Training Peaks (I was very happy with TP but found the cost out of my range as a coach). FS has very robust functionality and I believe they are adding structured workouts soon that will sync with Garmin devices. FS does not provide the same level of analysis that say TP does but for my purposes and each of my athletes, we find we prefer to focus on the basics and execute the workouts as written. It is a little harder to drill down to what's going on in specific interval but you can expand the graphs to get finer detail. They have some great added features like a resource library, athlete forum, and our own social media page which is great for camaraderie. Please feel free to ask any questions if I haven't covered what you were looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a coach I have been using FS for about 5 years (ex TP) and love this platform for my own training and all my clients are equally as impressed. It does everything we all need and, Tim, the owner, is wonderfully responsive to any technical questions and he is always tweaking the platform for even better functionality.

Hope this helps

Graham

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
I'm moving from slowly building my running and biking into starting to pre-plan workouts. Side note: don't break your leg. It sucks. If you're over 40, it sucks even more.

In the past I subscribed to Training Peaks (TP) which I really like. But I've been checking out Final Surge and so far I like what I see. I looked on the forums but everything is a year old. Just wondering if anyone is using it, how you like it, limitations, etc.

Thanks in advance!

It worked well when my coach was using it, but when he decided to not use it anymore and just send the workouts through email/txt, then I just used Garmin.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone Using Final Surge? Reviews? [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A big thanks to everyone who responded!

I'm going to give it a try for planning future workouts and see for myself. It sounds like it only lacks the analysis of TP, but that's something that I don't feel I really need. Tss is nice, but not necessary for me at least.

If you're reading this in the future after searching for "Final Surge" in the Forums, hit me up with a PM and I'll share my thoughts if you like.

Thanks again everyone!
Quote Reply