Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone MTB for some cross training?
Quote | Reply
Any MTBers here? I just got my first real mountain bike and it's so damn fun. And even just an hour of it burns a shit ton of calories. Excellent workout and a nice way to change it up from endless road miles. Plus you gain some valuable bike handling skills.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone MTB for some cross training? [bigsus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love MTB'ing. Have a Canyon Exceed 29'er hardtail, it's awesome. No better way to recharge the brain than a MTB ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone MTB for some cross training? [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell yeah 29ers are fun as hell. I have a 26er myself though. It's a 10 year old Gary Fisher Hifi but most of those years were sitting in someone's basement unused. A good ride clears the mind/body/spirit like nothing else
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I probably mountain bike more than anything else right now. Summers are typically crits on Tuesdays and XC mtb racing on Wednesdays.

I live a 30 minute ride to a great 11 mile single track or just a bike further to another great single track network.

Then transition to full CX in the fall 😀. Mountain biking for sure helps my cross season!

This year I sold my Procaliber hardtail and bought a new Supercaliber with tons of excitement to race, then......

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got into mountain biking about three years ago and have hardly ridden on the road since. New trails=new adventures. Always developing skills. Great for developing explosive power but you can do plenty of threshold work too... or just have a chilled out ride and enjoy nature.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone MTB for some cross training? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After a long hiatus I got back into mountain biking and its currently my favorite flavor of riding. I feel I am in my best shape for riding if I split my riding in thirds between road, TT and MTB. There is a pliometric aspect of mountain biking that is awesome, a lot small strong bursts. The problem is I like mountain biking so much its all I would do if I was not careful.

I started with a hardtail but now primarily ride a Scott Spark (non RC) with 120mm of travel front and rear. For me its the perfect bike.
Last edited by: endosch2: Jul 24, 20 4:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought my first mtb a few months ago and really enjoy it, but have found a lot of the trails we have to be too technical for me to get a great workout because I'm spending so much time going super slow trying to not crash lol. On the more tame trails and crusher dust stuff, better workouts there, but I could probably use a gravel bike for that stuff too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love MTBing. If I only have one hour to train there is no better activity than hammering the trails working on power and skills. If you hit it hard you are really doing tons of explosive efforts out of each turn, over obstacles, and up short hills. It's great for building explosive power and it can be a total body workout if you hammer hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTB is fun. Great way to develop different muscles. I feel its either 100% all out burst up a hill/feature or cruising along working on bike handling skills.

Only two downsides with mtbiking. First: trail conditions, if it rains you often have to wait a day or two till the trail drys out (location dependent) and second its not like you can just roll out your backdoor. You need to drive to a trail which might kill your workout window for those family folk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing I love about mountain biking is that there are so many ways to enjoy it. You can do epic gravel climbs, long back country stuff, jumps, tech, race, lift assist downhill. I does challenge my budget though. Mountain bikes can take a beating.

MTB has more "hell yeah" moments for me. On a road bike you might win the climb or sprint occasionally. You might be relieved that you didn't die on a mountain descent. But on a mountain bike there may be a dozen obstacles on a short ride where you navigate them better than last time and think "hell yeah".

I wish there were more opportunities for off road triathlon. If they can figure out how to put a jump line in a lake I might even start swimming again ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The only bike I own right now is a MTB. We have been riding alot lately with everybody else apparently. FL sucks for MTB. Flat, Hot, Brown, Sandy. I sure miss Asheville NC. Trying to move back as soon as I can. I only have so many years left of beating myself up.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone MTB for some cross training? [Justicebeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Justicebeaver wrote:
The thing I love about mountain biking is that there are so many ways to enjoy it. You can do epic gravel climbs, long back country stuff, jumps, tech, race, lift assist downhill. I does challenge my budget though. Mountain bikes can take a beating.

MTB has more "hell yeah" moments for me. On a road bike you might win the climb or sprint occasionally. You might be relieved that you didn't die on a mountain descent. But on a mountain bike there may be a dozen obstacles on a short ride where you navigate them better than last time and think "hell yeah".

I wish there were more opportunities for off road triathlon. If they can figure out how to put a jump line in a lake I might even start swimming again ;-)

This is so true. Things like sessioning a particular line until you nail it. In early spring one of my favorite places to go is Jonathan Dickenson state park down in Jupiter Florida. You can easily chain multiple trail segments together into different combinations and there's all sorts of different riding. I'll routinely ride 1-2 mile trail combos trying to beat my prior time. Very gratifying when you pump through a particular section just right and shave a couple seconds off your prior PR.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone MTB for some cross training? [boostedcvc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to try racing at some point. There's a couple enduro events that normally run in my state that I may sign up for once rona ends...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only MTB, only on the road to get from A to B and never ride inside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'd be shocked just how high your heart rate can get not pedaling while going downhill :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got into it some after being burnt out from my last full IM. I sucked at it for a while, and still do to some extent, but love it. It became my preferred mode of bike training for a year or two, and when I began returning to shorter triathlons, I had my best seasons.

Best part? No cars. If I get hurt, which I tend to do, it’s because of stupid shit I do rather than somebody else. I’m okay with that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love to mtb. I haven't been able to mtb for the past 4 months because of tennis elbow and only riding on the road is driving me nuts. I'm bored with all the routes directly from my house.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone MTB for some cross training? [urbansombrero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd also add that the consequences of a crash in MTB tend to be lower in consequence even if they are higher in frequency and you have a lot of control over the consequences. Want to send a 10' drop? Well you can and you can crash and get pretty hurt but that's entirely your choice to take that risk whereas on the road we can't really control the situation with cars.

I probably average one crash every three outings on my MTB but most of those "crashes" are me navigating something tight and tricky at 1-2mph and simply tipping over. One thing I've learned with MTB is that once you're tired it's time to call it a day. Riding tired is how you get hurt.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone MTB for some cross training? [boostedcvc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boostedcvc wrote:
I probably mountain bike more than anything else right now......

Same here. Got into serious mountain biking after being hit by a car on the road in September 2017.

This year I sold my Procaliber hardtail and bought a new Supercaliber with tons of excitement to race, then......

Funny thing.....I traded in my aluminum Superfly for a carbon Procaliber.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply