Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anybody here built a rocker plate for their trainer?
Quote | Reply
Wondering how much a difference in comfort people have notice with using a rocker plate with their indoor trainer. I subscribed to the Facebook group Zwift rocker plates which has lots of build options. I just set mine up but won’t have a chance to ride until later In the week. Hoping it makes indoor riding slightly more comfortable. Curious about others experiences.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody here built a rocker plate for their trainer? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t have a rocker plate but I did swap over to the rock n roll trainer from Kurt kinetic. It made a world of difference for me compared to a static trainer. I’m guessing a rocker plate will have the same effect.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody here built a rocker plate for their trainer? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Parkland wrote:
I don’t have a rocker plate but I did swap over to the rock n roll trainer from Kurt kinetic. It made a world of difference for me compared to a static trainer. I’m guessing a rocker plate will have the same effect.

Yep. Same idea. Some of the designs I’ve seen are pretty elaborate
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody here built a rocker plate for their trainer? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I "built" one.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody here built a rocker plate for their trainer? [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrTriKat wrote:
I "built" one.

Genius! The Facebook group is great as it has a wide range of solutions. Mine is just a pvc pipe down the center of my elite direto and some small inflatable bags under the outer legs. I don’t know that a full on platform would do much better
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I built one a couple of weeks ago actually and got in about 5 sessions on it so far. It seems to have a bit more comfort than before on my sit bones but not that world of difference others have reported (i.e. somebody once said they struggles to make an hour ok a trainer and the rocker let them go 3 hours....yeah, that ain't happening to me so far). 1 hour sessions are easier to get through for me and 90 minutes before I was struggling comfort wise to make the last 30 minutes. Now I still feel it but it isn't excruciating like before.

I can say the standing efforts feel less harsh on the quads since you aren't stuck in an awkward position trying to pedal when the trainer is fixed.

Next up is to work on my saddle/position because I know I haven't found the right combo yet. Current setup is ok but I've really got to fiddle with the position and tilt more before trying a different saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody here built a rocker plate for their trainer? [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. I’ve never had huge comfort issues on indoor trainer. An hour is usually fine. 2 hours maybe some discomfort. But mostly it’s mental fatigue after 1.5 hours. I’m not interested in 3 hour trainer rides. But if my simple solution can make it a little better I’m happy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was having some saddle sore issues from zwifting so much. I built a Rockr Plate about 2 weeks ago. And haven't had any problems since.

I ordered the DYI kit from SBR and found the board design on the Rockr Plate Facebook site. Actually created a template of the boards with holes pre-drilled and then transfered the template to the final boards so as not to make a mistake. 3/4 in. birch boards. Will probably coat the top with Truck bed liner paint or just some carpet/rubber matting.

The benefit of the DYI kit was all the HW was included, including the mounts for my Kickr. You could get it yourself and maybe save $50. I spent about $200 all in.

I thought I might lose some power on it, but that hasn't been the case at all. It is a little bit louder than before, but the carpet or coating should solve that part of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody here built a rocker plate for their trainer? [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks nice. I’m pretty sure a little movement won’t hurt for sure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rideandfish made something cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody here built a rocker plate for their trainer? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Rideandfish made something cool.
Yup, mines on the Facebook group. Made it on a cnc at work.
I had saddle sore issues going longer than an hour on my Hammer when I first got it. The rocker took care of that problem, and my longest indoor ride was 4 hours. It’s stull not going to feel as natural as rollers however, but the rocker does help a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with every rocker plate design I've seen is that the pivot point is below the floor. This in no way simulates what happens on a bike on the road. When you're riding, if your front tyre moves to the right, you lean to the left, and vice versa. The rear tyre more or less tracks along straight though.

My thought is that what you need is a roll axis that goes through the contact patch of the rear tyre, and up through the handlebars or so at the front.

In practical implementation, you could make the trainer (at the rear) tilt at floor level. But the front needs to move differently. The easiest practical way I can see to achieve this is with a 4-bar linkage supporting the front axle, with the lower pivots slightly wider than the upper pivots.

I'll draw a picture if this doesn't make sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody here built a rocker plate for their trainer? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
English please.........

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody here built a rocker plate for their trainer? [Get2TheChopper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get2TheChopper wrote:
English please.........

OK, I'll try, but I am mostly fluent in Engineer.

Imagine something like this thing:
https://tacx.com/...steering-frame-flow/

But instead of mounting the fork in a rigid frame, replace those two vertical links with bars that have a hinge/pivot/balljoint at each end.

From front on, it would look like this:

The green would be the frame of my contraption, and the blue triangle is the (imaginary) lower portion of the front wheel (that you have removed).

I think that would make for a much more natural feel. If you tilted the linkages forward slightly from vertical it would also provide some simulation of steering effect.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody here built a rocker plate for their trainer? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I follow you but a caveat is that a potential solution for what you’re describing is likely far more expensive than the current solutions for a simple side to side motion
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a cool idea - thanks

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
I think I follow you but a caveat is that a potential solution for what you’re describing is likely far more expensive than the current solutions for a simple side to side motion

And people pay how much for a Kickr Climb? (In fact this could be nicely integrated with one...)

Plus rocker plates are a crude simulation of real motion.

From 1:55:

Option B would be to mount the front wheel on a roller (passive or electrically driven), so you can move it quite freely and completely naturally.

<royalty cheques to matty at mattyisafreakingenius dot com>
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody here built a rocker plate for their trainer? [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beautiful work! Just don't forget when deciding on a finish for the top surface that there is probably going to be a small river of sweat pooling up and drying there. You want to be able to wipe it up or you will have a sticky smelly smear. I have a trainer bolted down to a 1 1/2" thick fiberboard platform and I covered the top surface with inexpensive gray vinyl floor tile. Super easy to keep clean.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocket... plane?! COOL! Oh. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not saying there’s not a market for it. Judging by the rocker plate Facebook group there’s a lot of people who are looking for an inexpensive solution to provide a little bit of movement. Sure I’d love a completely natural feel on a rocker plate but another $500 might be too much. I’ll wait a couple years until more options come out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The unit that Cycleops is developing intrigues me though because they aren't just building a side to side rocker plate but more of a "free-motion" type device (similar to free-motion setups for rollers....well, kind of). If that is well priced I'd definitely buy one honestly and retire my DIY one (hoping it is a decent amount cheaper than their Magnus trainer is the most I think it should cost).
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody here built a rocker plate for their trainer? [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that one moves forward as well. Does it move more freely than side to side and forward?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I built one fir the back wheel only- pillow block bearings based. It definitely made a difference in comfort, but I wasn’t having bad issues before. I like the feel better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is very interesting. I built a rear-wheel version a year ago for my computrainer and I loved it. It was very basic though. I've since moved to a Kickr Core and Climb combo and have been planning my full-length rocker plate in my head and some basic drawings for about 4 months. I've actually been carrying around a notebook in my backpack so I can sketch stuff out as inspiration strikes.

As you say, the problem with current rocker plates is the pivot point is too low. When you lean, the wheel slides side to side as well. I actually recorded myself riding up a hill over a line I drew with chalk to try to estimate how much motion there was. Based on my crappy video and some equally crappy math, I think the actually pivot point is somewhere around 3 inches above the ground, but this obviously depends on how much you're leaning, how hard you're pushing the pedals, etc.

I have two design ideas to deal with this but neither is 100% there, IMO. The first is the basic version, where you have a board that the bike and trainer sit on , and that board is attached to an outside frame. The board is attached to the frame with pillow block bearings on the frame and linear motion bearings on the board, with a short shaft front and back. I would include a compression spring over the shaft. This would allow a slight back and forth motion, raise the pivot point, and allow side-to-side rocking. It wouldn't allow for any "sliding" of the wheels, like you illustrate.

My more complicated design also involves the board for bike/trainer, and a frame. This time though, there would be a second bottom board, with the rocking motion between them, typical to how most designs are. I would use only pillow block bearings so it only rocks. I would then suspend the boards, attaching at the bottom board, to the frame. I thought about 4-point linkage (I notices my wife's glider ottoman uses that design) but I decided it would be limiting. I would just use a short steel cable, pulled out to the frame from the bottom board at perhaps a 35-45 degree angle. Gravity would bring the board back to the middle so no springs needed. This would allow side-to-side, front-to-back movement, including allowing the rear to move more than the front.

I haven't built either of these but I'm planning to build something soon.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly don't know. Beside what you have found online so far there isn't much additional info out there that I'm aware of. I imagine it probably doesn't but you never know.
Quote Reply

Prev Next