Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anybody go back to glasses for training rather than contacts? I might do it!
Quote | Reply
Anybody go back to glasses for training rather than contacts? I might do it!

I somehow managed to get a nasty conjunctivitis 2 weeks ago, like epically bad in only one eye. Fortunately that resolved over a week slowly with eye drops, but I was unable to wear my contacts the entire time.

I busted out my old pair of cheap (Zenni brand $45 for the full eyewear!) polycarbonate glasses that have photochromatic tint, and have been using that in the past 2 weeks in lieu of contacts. Turns out it's totally fine - I wear sunglasses 100% of the time I'm working out outdoors anyway, and the glasses I use for workouts have similar heft/size as the sunglasses.

I'm finding it very convenient to not have to deal with contacts at all, especially since I often workout 2, even 3 times per day (bike commute + run = 3 workouts) so I may end up sticking with this and just using contacts once in awhile.

Anyone else?
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go back to glasses for training rather than contacts? I might do it! [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I quit contacts and train and race with glasses. I got a pair of prescription goggles, cheap zennni glasses, and prescription; Oalkelys for biking. They all work great. I could see better with contacts in aero, but it is good enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go back to glasses for training rather than contacts? I might do it! [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I quit contacts and train and race with glasses. I got a pair of prescription goggles, cheap zennni glasses, and prescription; Oalkelys for biking. They all work great. I could see better with contacts in aero, but it is good enough.

I did this, until one time during a tri lost my Rx goggles. Couldnā€™t see a damn thing and followed the wrong feet. Swam way off course. A kayak came to rescue me and I followed it back to the pack. Was really scary. Contacts for me. Though I am considering lasik.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go back to glasses for training rather than contacts? I might do it! [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I train and race in Zenni $6.95 frames with (if my memory is correct) $97 worth of lenses. Progressive trifocal transitions. They have lasted 2 years, all my training, multiple local tris, a 70.3, a full IM, and local running races. I originally bought expensive wire framed every day stylish glasses, and bought the Zenni's for a spare. I wasn't expecting much, but when they came, I was shocked. Super light, flexible, perfect prescription, and the transitions work great. My "nice" glasses have been in their case for months, painfully heavy by comparison, and now the Zenni's are my all day, every day, every situation, all my training, all my racing glasses.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went full Laurent Fignon. Wire rimmed corrective lenses all the way. He rocked his own look and I am a fan of it. I may even ponytail my receding hair line!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get yourself laser eye surgery. Best investment in training and lifestyle, ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean by ā€˜deal with contactsā€™?
I wear contacts from the moment I wake up until I go to bed and never once had to ā€˜deal with themā€™ or work around them for training.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go back to glasses for training rather than contacts? I might do it! [CanUsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CanUsa wrote:
I wear contacts from the moment I wake up until I go to bed and never once had to ā€˜deal with themā€™ or work around them for training.

I try not to wear them for over 12 hrs. And at work I prefer to use my glasses for the computer work, I have a slight astigmatism that my contacts don't correct. So on weekdays I'm often riding to work, removing contacts, then putting them back in for lunch workout, then taking them back out again, and then repeating before I ride home.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go back to glasses for training rather than contacts? I might do it! [IM_Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM_Rick wrote:
Get yourself laser eye surgery. Best investment in training and lifestyle, ever.

Best money I spent on anything, ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve got prescription goggles and prescription sunglasses (titanium frames so itā€™s lightweight). Donā€™t use contacts for training as Iā€™m afraid theyā€™ll pop out or Iā€™ll get an infection (Iā€™m very sweaty and often get that and sunscreen in my eyes). I thought about LASIK but couldnā€™t justify the cost or the possibility of the surgery being screwed up. I like the eyes Iā€™m born with thanks very much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear Toric contact lens, which can fix mild astigmatism. I wear them for about 17 hours a day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
CanUsa wrote:

I try not to wear them for over 12 hrs. And at work I prefer to use my glasses for the computer work, I have a slight astigmatism that my contacts don't correct. So on weekdays I'm often riding to work, removing contacts, then putting them back in for lunch workout, then taking them back out again, and then repeating before I ride home.

Ok that makes sense. Iā€™ve had that challenge in the past. Iā€™ve adjusted my prescription to have my left contact work for reading computer and my right contact for distance. My brain performs the magic for me not to even notice I canā€™t read very well with my right eye.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lasik in 2000 has me seeing still 20-15 for distance. You can't cheat the clock so I was able to not wear reading glasses for the first 7 years after I had the Lasiks done. Now at age 64 some days I sometimes I can manage to read without them and most of the time not. Have some cheater sunglasses from Ebay since I can read my computer on my bike clearer with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore contacts for years, but when I needed to switch to Toric lenses things changed and they have never been comfortable. I only wear them now when I can't wear glasses.

I really wish I could find some that I could wear all day
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go back to glasses for training rather than contacts? I might do it! [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
IM_Rick wrote:

x3
Super easy procedure. 15 minutes.

As somebody who is likely young and healthy this is good use for HSA money. In the last 25 years all my medical care(insurance and self paid) total hasn't added up to the lasik cost. Use the HSA money for something you will love.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Anybody go back to glasses for training rather than contacts?

Nope
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go back to glasses for training rather than contacts? I might do it! [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
linhardt wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
IM_Rick wrote:

x3

As somebody who is likely young and healthy this is good use for HSA money. In the last 25 years all my medical care(insurance and self paid) total hasn't added up to the lasik cost. Use the HSA money for something you will love.

I'd love to do Lasik but I can't unfortunately risk even then <1% chance if vision side effects if things aren't perfect due to my job. Even the more common minor side effects would be really limiting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
linhardt wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
IM_Rick wrote:

x3

I'd love to do Lasik but I can't unfortunately risk even then <1% chance if vision side effects if things aren't perfect due to my job. Even the more common minor side effects would be really limiting.

Understood just make sure if you go back to contacts you NEVER ride without sunglasses/clear lenses based on your vision risk tolerance.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go back to glasses for training rather than contacts? I might do it! [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
linhardt wrote:
lightheir wrote:
linhardt wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
IM_Rick wrote:

x3

Understood just make sure if you go back to contacts you NEVER ride without sunglasses/clear lenses based on your vision risk tolerance.

I literally never ride without eye protection, ever. Even on dark days, I will wear clear glasses or sunglasses for eye protection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
linhardt wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
IM_Rick wrote:

x3

X4 - BEST DECISION EVER for me too. Waking up and being able to see the alarm clock and not having to find glasses/ clean & insert contacts has been pure bliss. I would do the surgery over in a heartbeat if it meant that I didn't have to wear glasses or contacts. I also used a flex spending account to pay for mine.

I had PRK (basically LASIK but no flap) in January 2010 - I was 32, and my eye doc convinced me it was the right time to enjoy a long amount of time without having any kind of reading glasses (still better than 20/20 today and still don't need reading glasses). I had worn contacts for all training and racing (and basically everything I did in my waking hours) for about 20 years prior. My distance vision was so bad (-6.25 each eye) that I couldn't see the big E clearly unless I was about 2 feet from it. The only thing I didn't do with my contacts was sleep. I could have NEVER gone to wearing just glasses for vision - they always fogged or if it was raining you can't see (at least with contacts I could take the glasses off and see).

The PRK surgery took about 6 weeks for full recovery - but I was "legal" to be without correction (better than 20/40) immediately after surgery. The reason for the longer healing is that your epithelial cells that cover your cornea are removed for the process and have to grow back (LASIK is quicker because they just cut into them and then put the flap back down).

To the person who said they don't wear contacts to train or race - I just don't get it. The risks of something happening are there whether you wear glasses OR contacts. Goggles do what they need to do to when swimming - yeah they leak but I didn't have any less issues after my surgery than i did with contacts. I was a lifeguard for 6 years and wore contacts - and on a few occasions during certifications and on the very rare rescue of a kid who went too deep - I even opened my eyes under water for a quick second and was completely fine. My main issues with contacts were that I got sick of cleaning them, worried that if I had the weird thing where I lost one during a race my race would be over, and also just wanted less hassle overall.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go back to glasses for training rather than contacts? I might do it! [mtrichick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mtrichick wrote:
linhardt wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
IM_Rick wrote:

x3

X4 - BEST DECISION EVER for me too. Waking up and being able to see the alarm clock and not having to find glasses/ clean & insert contacts has been pure bliss. I would do the surgery over in a heartbeat if it meant that I didn't have to wear glasses or contacts. I also used a flex spending account to pay for mine.

I had PRK (basically LASIK but no flap) in January 2010 - I was 32, and my eye doc convinced me it was the right time to enjoy a long amount of time without having any kind of reading glasses (still better than 20/20 today and still don't need reading glasses). I had worn contacts for all training and racing (and basically everything I did in my waking hours) for about 20 years prior. My distance vision was so bad (-6.25 each eye) that I couldn't see the big E clearly unless I was about 2 feet from it. The only thing I didn't do with my contacts was sleep. I could have NEVER gone to wearing just glasses for vision - they always fogged or if it was raining you can't see (at least with contacts I could take the glasses off and see).

The PRK surgery took about 6 weeks for full recovery - but I was "legal" to be without correction (better than 20/40) immediately after surgery. The reason for the longer healing is that your epithelial cells that cover your cornea are removed for the process and have to grow back (LASIK is quicker because they just cut into them and then put the flap back down).

To the person who said they don't wear contacts to train or race - I just don't get it. The risks of something happening are there whether you wear glasses OR contacts. Goggles do what they need to do to when swimming - yeah they leak but I didn't have any less issues after my surgery than i did with contacts. I was a lifeguard for 6 years and wore contacts - and on a few occasions during certifications and on the very rare rescue of a kid who went too deep - I even opened my eyes under water for a quick second and was completely fine. My main issues with contacts were that I got sick of cleaning them, worried that if I had the weird thing where I lost one during a race my race would be over, and also just wanted less hassle overall.

Had LASIK in 2012, also the best thing I've done. 20/15 (L) and 20/20 (R)

Surfing in contacts or none makes it kinda hard to see sets coming in. Riding and having your contacts dry out and fall out is a pain.

Trying to race a crit and only having one contact in made depth perception challenging.

One of the best things is waking up in the morning and being able to see without pulling on glasses or putting in contacts.

I'm a bit biased though, been in the Refractive Ophthalmology field since 2002.

Highly recommend the procedure if you are a candidate. Great advances in the field with outstanding results.

One piece of advice is to do your due diligence and research. Find the best surgeon in your area or even go outside your area if needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go back to glasses for training rather than contacts? I might do it! [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
IM_Rick wrote:

Agreed
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go back to glasses for training rather than contacts? I might do it! [mtrichick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PRK also (2009)...and best decision ever.

Much more hassle than the lasik my wife had (drove herself to the 24 hour check-up), but so nice to be able to ride or run without glasses or contacts.

only thing i would change is not having the surgery in January. i found driving in daylight easier than driving in the dark for a few weeks afterwards and in Jan and Feb there is a lot more dark.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody go back to glasses for training rather than contacts? I might do it! [nyleparker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nyleparker wrote:
mtrichick wrote:
linhardt wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
IM_Rick wrote:

x3

Had LASIK in 2012, also the best thing I've done. 20/15 (L) and 20/20 (R)

Surfing in contacts or none makes it kinda hard to see sets coming in. Riding and having your contacts dry out and fall out is a pain.

Trying to race a crit and only having one contact in made depth perception challenging.

One of the best things is waking up in the morning and being able to see without pulling on glasses or putting in contacts.

I'm a bit biased though, been in the Refractive Ophthalmology field since 2002.

Highly recommend the procedure if you are a candidate. Great advances in the field with outstanding results.

One piece of advice is to do your due diligence and research. Find the best surgeon in your area or even go outside your area if needed.

Key point in your post is ā€œif you are a candidate.ā€ I am farsighted with thin corneas. Per the doc I saw they would do the surgery but let me know there was a high likelihood they could not do a future correction if needed.

Iā€™ve stuck with glasses, but this winter was ready to go back to contacts due to fogging while skiing. It was really tough to keep from fogging while wearing a face covering.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a contacts issue many years ago [some weird infection, too] and went to glasses full-time

When I run, I just wear Croakies
If they're good enough for Milo, they're good enough for me

My COVID Year One hair is much MUCH longer now, so it's not at all the same look that it used to be

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next