Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim?
Quote | Reply
This guy advertises constantly all over Facebook. Finally decided what the hell and did one of his free video consultations yesterday. (basically a sales pitch) I tried searching the forum and got nothing. Searched on Google and got nothing outside of his own website other than one link to a thread on the ST forum, but when I hit the link it tells me I don't have permission to view it. Not sure what that means as I've been a member for many years.


In any case, anybody ever train with him or have any feedback?
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [skid777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i believe he was the subject of a pretty thorough thread, couple of dozen posts, where there were a variety of opinions but, in typical internet form, he was the subject of a pretty solid beatdown by certain members here over things like: he advertises swimming a 48sec 100m when actually it's 49sec, or some such thing. in my opinion, after letting that thread have plenty of oxygen, it was appropriate to shut it down and hide it from view. if you missed it, then you missed it, it was mid-summer, you were apparently not reading during late-june thru mid-july. we're not going to revisit the topic. i do not know him, btw.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw that thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [skid777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skid777 wrote:
This guy advertises constantly all over Facebook. Finally decided what the hell and did one of his free video consultations yesterday. (basically a sales pitch) I tried searching the forum and got nothing. Searched on Google and got nothing outside of his own website other than one link to a thread on the ST forum, but when I hit the link it tells me I don't have permission to view it. Not sure what that means as I've been a member for many years.


In any case, anybody ever train with him or have any feedback?

My overall suggestion if you want to get better at swimming just swim and swim with people that are better than you. An easy way to accomplish this is joining a Master's swim group.


Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. Not sure how I missed that one.

But just out of curiosity, what kind of criteria would make a thread be hidden? I’ve been on here for 15 years and there have been countless “twitch hunts”, many that decimated people ruthlessly. And although you often eventually lock them down, I can’t recall any of them being deleted or hidden. I just searched right now and found several of them. If those were left visible I can’t imagine what would have to be in one to warrant hiding it. I’m just going to guess though that I’d be wise not to give this guy my credit card number.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [skid777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should ask him what his fastest 100m swim time was.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [skid777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skid777 wrote:
Hmmm. Not sure how I missed that one.

But just out of curiosity, what kind of criteria would make a thread be hidden? I’ve been on here for 15 years and there have been countless “twitch hunts”, many that decimated people ruthlessly. And although you often eventually lock them down, I can’t recall any of them being deleted or hidden. I just searched right now and found several of them. If those were left visible I can’t imagine what would have to be in one to warrant hiding it. I’m just going to guess though that I’d be wise not to give this guy my credit card number.

pure whimsy. coin flip often. eeny meeny miny moe. but only on tue and thur.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [skid777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know him well. DM me.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
skid777 wrote:
This guy advertises constantly all over Facebook. Finally decided what the hell and did one of his free video consultations yesterday. (basically a sales pitch) I tried searching the forum and got nothing. Searched on Google and got nothing outside of his own website other than one link to a thread on the ST forum, but when I hit the link it tells me I don't have permission to view it. Not sure what that means as I've been a member for many years.


In any case, anybody ever train with him or have any feedback?


My overall suggestion if you want to get better at swimming just swim and swim with people that are better than you. An easy way to accomplish this is joining a Master's swim group.

<<< this. altho that's easier said than done during a pandemic. but in general, yes. this is the fastest way to get faster in the water.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
skid777 wrote:
This guy advertises constantly all over Facebook. Finally decided what the hell and did one of his free video consultations yesterday. (basically a sales pitch) I tried searching the forum and got nothing. Searched on Google and got nothing outside of his own website other than one link to a thread on the ST forum, but when I hit the link it tells me I don't have permission to view it. Not sure what that means as I've been a member for many years.


In any case, anybody ever train with him or have any feedback?


My overall suggestion if you want to get better at swimming just swim and swim with people that are better than you. An easy way to accomplish this is joining a Master's swim group.

I'm an adult onset swimmer and I found Tower 26 to be a great program for me personally. I did masters for a long time. I never seemed to get faster however. I got in shape but my times never improved. I am the kind of person that prefers to workout alone so I can be biased. But I feel it is important for an adult onset swimmer to really focus on technique and relaxing rather than 'muscling out' workouts trying to stick with people that are faster than you. Also, the draft makes it too easy most of the time. If you're with faster swimmers, rarely are you allowed to lead in your lane and you're stuck in the draft most of the time. I greatly improved using Tower 26 but again, I really enjoy working out alone.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [Tri2win352] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That has been my experience as well. I finally joined a Masters group four years ago after most every swimming thread ever on here said that's the best way to get faster, by swimming with people faster than you.

I do enjoy swimming with Masters, mainly for the social aspect of it. It is more enjoyable and makes it a bit easier to drag yourself to the pool when you don't feel like swimming when there is a set time and there will be a workout there ready for you and people to swim with.

But I have never felt like it's helped my swimming. I think I get far better workouts and gain more swimming solo. I suffer more and go faster. We have three groups and three different workouts at our Masters - slow, medium and fast. I am in the medium group, but one of the fastest of that group, so I most often lead in my lane, so no chasing anyone faster. Occasionally if the intervals are ones I can make I'll swim in a big boy lane. But then I am swimming last - I get a bit of a draft at first but by the time we hit 25 yards I'm dropped from that and not getting any advantage and they are too far ahead to be able to try and chase.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [skid777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skid777 wrote:
This guy advertises constantly all over Facebook. Finally decided what the hell and did one of his free video consultations yesterday. (basically a sales pitch) I tried searching the forum and got nothing. Searched on Google and got nothing outside of his own website other than one link to a thread on the ST forum, but when I hit the link it tells me I don't have permission to view it. Not sure what that means as I've been a member for many years.


In any case, anybody ever train with him or have any feedback?

How did you introduce yourself ?

http://www.pb3coaching.com
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did I introduce myself? What are you referring to? When I talked to Cody on our video call? Not sure what you’re getting at. I had filled out a form with all of my info before talking to him so he knew all the basics.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huh. I contributed to that thread. Never seemed like it got that out of hand. But..... You da boss.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's legit. A close friend of mine is currently taking lessons from him. She gave me some pointers and my goodness, my swim time improved and it was easier to swim than before.
I think he really knows his stuff. He wants a lot of videos, so I took videos for her a couple of times.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was his fastest 100m swim?
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coach Cody from Front Pack Swim is great! Completely legit. Really knows his stuff and is an excellent teacher. I am working with him now. I am a certified triathlon coach myself so my bar is pretty high. I am a good swimmer, but didn't swim as a kid. I want to take my swimming to the next level so that I can compete in marathon open water swim events. Cody works at the National Performance Center for Triathlon Canada as the swim specific triathlon coach. He coaches 15-20 Olympians and many of his athletes have been top performers (Matt Sharpe, Kirsten Casper, and Tyler Mislawchuk who is expected to win gold next year in the Triathlon). Cody is really dedicated to his athletes. He provides a course in freestyle technique with many effective drills you have never seen before. He also does a weekly analysis of your video and is very specific about what you need to fix and how. He also has some really great dryland exercises to help you learn the correct technique out of the water. I have been in his course for 9 weeks now and have dropped 4 seconds on my 100 meters time (and over 20 seconds on my 100 kick!). There are many in the group who have dropped way more than that. I know it's easy to be skeptical of Facebook ads and people who overpromise but he's the real deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [aliheadley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was his fastest 100m swim?
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
What was his fastest 100m swim?

That's the second time in this thread you've asked this question. What does that matter?
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What the heck, Jimatbeyond? You are really stuck on this point. I believe it was a 49 sec for 100 m. Frankly, most triathletes will be NOWHERE near that - so whether it was 48 and change or 49, it really doesn’t matter to me. I’ll be happy to get down to 1:15 100 m. I am learning a lot from him AND getting faster, so that’s all that matters to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [aliheadley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aliheadley wrote:
What the heck, Jimatbeyond? You are really stuck on this point. I believe it was a 49 sec for 100 m. Frankly, most triathletes will be NOWHERE near that - so whether it was 48 and change or 49, it really doesn’t matter to me. I’ll be happy to get down to 1:15 100 m. I am learning a lot from him AND getting faster, so that’s all that matters to me.

Thanks for your feedback, I keep getting emails and Facebook ads about him.
Any rough ideas re price? I would be interested but not sure what the costs would be.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [aliheadley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aliheadley wrote:
...and Tyler Mislawchuk who is expected to win gold next year in the Triathlon

That's news. Others may as well not race then. No pressure Tyler!
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [aliheadley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aliheadley wrote:
What the heck, Jimatbeyond? You are really stuck on this point. I believe it was a 49 sec for 100 m. Frankly, most triathletes will be NOWHERE near that - so whether it was 48 and change or 49, it really doesn’t matter to me. I’ll be happy to get down to 1:15 100 m. I am learning a lot from him AND getting faster, so that’s all that matters to me.

This is all I can think of.

“Whoever trying to bring you down is already below you.”
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [aliheadley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aliheadley wrote:
Coach Cody from Front Pack Swim is great! Completely legit. Really knows his stuff and is an excellent teacher. I am working with him now. I am a certified triathlon coach myself so my bar is pretty high. I am a good swimmer, but didn't swim as a kid. I want to take my swimming to the next level so that I can compete in marathon open water swim events. Cody works at the National Performance Center for Triathlon Canada as the swim specific triathlon coach. He coaches 15-20 Olympians and many of his athletes have been top performers (Matt Sharpe, Kirsten Casper, and Tyler Mislawchuk who is expected to win gold next year in the Triathlon). Cody is really dedicated to his athletes. He provides a course in freestyle technique with many effective drills you have never seen before. He also does a weekly analysis of your video and is very specific about what you need to fix and how. He also has some really great dryland exercises to help you learn the correct technique out of the water. I have been in his course for 9 weeks now and have dropped 4 seconds on my 100 meters time (and over 20 seconds on my 100 kick!). There are many in the group who have dropped way more than that. I know it's easy to be skeptical of Facebook ads and people who overpromise but he's the real deal.

Interesting thread/post this is, I have also signed up to the frontpackswim system/course, if I get one or two ides from it I will be happy as I can then implement them into my own coaching of swimming which I only do as a hobby now not a business.
I think the point is, in this day an age some people will go down the business route (for what they want to promote) of using the model which bombards FB etc, free phone call, (sales pitch, get your email) often with a money back guarantee we have all seen them. I find them irritating but it doesn't mean the guy...coach is not any good, just that he is choosing that model to try and make money.
OP if you would like to DM me I can keep you updated on my experience if you would like. We are in lock down at the moment here in UK so only doing dry land stuff.
I would add here that in my opinion learning swim technique is repetitive process where the movement patterns have to be repeated correctly to evoke change. This often can only be achieved when done through working with someone over a 3 month or longer period. I for one will only help someone on this basis as all too often an athlete wants the one or two sessions expecting the quick fix make me go quicker stuff. I see many with the " I've had my video analysis done, I know what I am doing wrong (overwhelming)" only to then have no idea how to effect the changes needed. The skill of the great coach is knowing and designing exactly what YOU need to practice FOR YOU and when to move to the next thing.
All of the above is just my opinion though

Always learning, always nicking stuff, ideas, from others!

Grb
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody ever worked with or know about Coach Cody and Frontpackswim? [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a $1000 US for the 12 week course with a money back guarantee if you are not happy (happy pills not supplied with course)

Grb
Quote Reply