Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Anybody Have No Luck with Hoka Shoes?
Quote | Reply
There is enough positive feedback on the Hoka's that I am tempted to give them a try. I am 5'10", 150 lbs, 53 yrs old. I have been injury prone for almost 2 years now, mostly lateral knee issues. I have also been through many different types of shoes and inserts without any relief. Who out there has given the Hoka's a try but still struggles with injury. I would hate to buy them and find out they dont help because lets be honest, most of use aren't going to wear these as daily walk around shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Have No Luck with Hoka Shoes? [bsherman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
running warehouse has a good 90 day return policy. "Products returned in used or worn condition within 90 days from the original invoice date can be exchanged for another item, or are eligible to receive a store credit for the full value of the purchase. Please note that while we want you to be happy with your purchases, an excessive number of used returns within a twelve-month period may limit your eligibility for exchanges or store credit."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered a pair from Zappos to try out. I'm recovering from a long bout with sciatica issues and a variety of related compensation injuries so I figured I would give them a try to see if they made running any less painful. I brought my regular pair of running shoes and the Hokas to a hotel treadmill to give them a try. I switched back and forth a few times and I can honestly say for me personally they didn't do anything for me. Which is to say that I didn't find them any more or less comfortable to run in than my preferred running shoe which is a kswiss blade light run. Since they were no better or worse but much more expensive I sent them back to Zappos. That said though I did a lot of research and a lot of people swear by them. I suggest you order a pair online from a website with a generous return policy like Zappos that will let you try them out briefly and send them back free of charge.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Have No Luck with Hoka Shoes? [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 on Running Warehouse. I tried out some Stinsons from them and wasn't wowed. However, everyone else and all of Texas's ultrarunning community love them. I'm 5'9" 145ish and more often than not run in asics (Trainers, Speedstars, Blur33s, etc.) but thought I'd give the Hoka's a try. I wouldn't say I've ran the past years injury free, but as long as my legs are not broken I will make myself run. Ended up getting some Inov8s with the RW credit from the return and some other stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll let you know in a couple days! Mine should be here today. I've been battling a nagging rear hip (sciatic, SI joint, Piriformis?) for the last year. Found out I heel strike and have been trying to work on becoming a more midfoot striker. With a 60 days no questions asked return from Hoka, I figured what have I got to lose?
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Have No Luck with Hoka Shoes? [Nickwisdom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nickwisdom wrote:
I ordered a pair from Zappos to try out. I'm recovering from a long bout with sciatica issues and a variety of related compensation injuries so I figured I would give them a try to see if they made running any less painful. I brought my regular pair of running shoes and the Hokas to a hotel treadmill to give them a try. I switched back and forth a few times and I can honestly say for me personally they didn't do anything for me. Which is to say that I didn't find them any more or less comfortable to run in than my preferred running shoe which is a kswiss blade light run. Since they were no better or worse but much more expensive I sent them back to Zappos. That said though I did a lot of research and a lot of people swear by them. I suggest you order a pair online from a website with a generous return policy like Zappos that will let you try them out briefly and send them back free of charge.

The treadmill will not make you appreciate the cushioning of the hoka due to the flex of the deck. Compare them on concrete though and then there is an amazing value to me.

I personally do not "need" all that cushioning as I am not suffering from running injuries but why wait to be injured before doing something to avoid it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought them from REI to try and returned them after two runs of 6 miles each. They looked horrible and goofy but felt really good and were actually surprisingly pretty fast to run in. With that said they killed my feet for some reason. After about mile 2 my feet would start to get really sore and by mile 6 they down right hurt. Never experienced this with any other shoe so they went back to the store thanks to REI's great return policy.

I returned to the staple mizuno riders with a mix of minimal running shoes (innov-8 now) for shorter runs and feel better now.

I do think the that Hoka's are on to something though really not in the cushioning but more so in the rocker type sole. I have heard that the sketchers are similar which I plan on trying later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried them a year ago, Bondi B's, and they didn't work for me.

Had been in Newtons for a few years prior, so not related to the low heel drop.

Anytime I got past 8K or so, pain would develop on the front of both knees. I put it down to there being too much cushioning for me, which allows my feet to roll too far in the wrong direction on landing. I really don't know if that is exactly what is happening, but there is no pain in the Newtons so I just went back to what works for me. But, I had similar issues with a pair of Asics Cumulus a couple years ago when I tried them out during a battle with ITBS. (Finally fixed that when I saw a video of myself from the rear on a treadmill and saw that my left leg would push off inwards towards the centreline of my shoulders, causing my hip to drop. Once I started to focus on pushing off straight back its been all good to go.)

The Newtons are quite a bit firmer on impact than the Hokas and Asics. I also have a couple different flats that I run in occasionally which don't have cause the same knee pain as the Hokas (Brooks T7 & Green Silence, both with higher heel drops).

I really wanted the Hokas to work, had a 8-10 runs in them before I shelved them. Even pulled them out again a couple months back for another go but the same result.

So for me, I seem to need a firmer shoe. But, haven't heard of other results like mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did 2 runs in a pair and gave them away to a friend. They caused me a great deal of pain in my hip flexors as well as caused my right piriformis to seize up. I've never had either of these issues with other shoes. I mostly run in the Brooks Launch for what it's worth.

Everyday Athlete
Kirkland, WA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a pair about 2ish weeks ago, did a 6k run the day after the same 6k route in my Kinvaras (talk about polar opposites). They sure felt odd. Then I ran 40k in them last weekend as the first 40k of a 50k race. I switched to a pair of NB for the last 10k, and again, what a difference. I have been reasonably injury free (knock on wood, I have 17 days til Comrades!!!) for years, but wanted to see if they'd help with recovering from longer runs. I have also spent a lot of time over the last 5+ years working on my form, and trying to move from a k-stride (legs look like a "k", heel striking) to mid/fore foot landing stride. When I wore the Hokas, I felt like it was TOO EASY to revert back to heel striking, or if not exactly heel, definitely further back on the foot.

I got a great deal on them ($100) so I may wear them occasionally, but I don't see me moving away from my go-to shoe (Mizuno Wave Runner). They may well become the dog walking shoes.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The squishiness makes my Plantar Fasciitis flare up. I know it's the softness since soft insoles in other shoes do the same thing. I have to run in a shoe that's more firm.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Have No Luck with Hoka Shoes? [wild hare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I havent done anything longer than 10k yet. The jury is still out, some things feel better, others, worse. I bought them a week or so ago after a run in a really bad pair of shoes left my knees completely trashed to the point I thought I tore the meniscus again. I normally like really flexy shoes that most would consider on the minimalist scale, but not true minimalist shoes. The shoes that trashed my knees were very suppportive type shoe (mizuno wave inspire 8)

Speed - I was concerned I would be slower but actually, they are pretty quick, even in track intervals I set my best 400m interval times.
Knees - So far my knees are happy. I still feel some subtle pain kind of deep down, but am not sure if its from those other crappy shoes still or if it is from these, I have been too scared to try anything else.

Problems - I dont know if this is a problem really, but I normally and naturally run on my forefoot in most shoes, with these I find myself more landing flat.

Heat - My feet have never sweat so bad. Come 10k it feels pretty squishy in there. It feels like I should be getting blisters but I havent had any yet.

Plantar fascia - Cant say I actually know what it feels like. I have always had some discomfort in my arch and heel area especially when I roll on a golf ball, it doesnt seem any different with these but I only have a total of 26km on them, plus some treadmill time.

If you your knees hurt as much as mine did, it would be worth giving it a shot. Just walking in them feels amazing and if they dont work out for running shoes, they are going to be heaven for every day shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried the Mafates and they didn't work for me. I found the platform to be too unstable due to the low density foam. Even with my orthotics, the Hokas seemed to increase my rate of pronation compared to the Asics DS Trainers. Some of the runners I see wearing the Bondi B's around my area seem to suffer from this also.

The original Mafates had a terrible upper/tongue and the only shoe I've ever run in that ripped apart my feet in a single 6mi run. The bottom of my feet felt tired which was an odd sensation to me.

They were a fun shoe to run in, you basically didn't feel the ground at all and could bomb down a hill with reckless abandonment. For that aspect alone, I believe they would make great ultra shoes.

If you want a highly cushioned shoe, Hokas are not your only option. The Asics Nimbus, Brooks Glycerin, Saucony Triumph, and Nike Vomero (most similar to Hokas despite the 10mm heel height differential), all fit the bill.
Last edited by: Nick_Barkley: May 16, 13 11:26
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Have No Luck with Hoka Shoes? [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I optimistically tried them and was very hopeful. I have a very old medial knee injury from football. It has been most in check. The Hokas really flared it up. I gave them a good solid try, but they just did not work.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wore them for 2 forty ish minute runs, and almost immediately had minor pain at the front of both knees. Sent them back to RW. The next few days developed some pttd, no idea if related but the timing and the heel drop seem to point in that direction
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gave 'em about 3 or 4 runs, did not get what the fuss was all about. Mine are sitting in the closet available to anyone who wants them. Size 12 Bondi b One One.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Have No Luck with Hoka Shoes? [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my size. my model. i'll take them. address at the bottom of the home page. thanks in advance.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:
I tried the Mafates and they didn't work for me. I found the platform to be too unstable due to the low density foam. Even with my orthotics, the Hokas seemed to increase my rate of pronation compared to the Asics DS Trainers. Some of the runners I see wearing the Bondi B's around my area seem to suffer from this also.

The original Mafates had a terrible upper/tongue and the only shoe I've ever run in that ripped apart my feet in a single 6mi run. The bottom of my feet felt tired which was an odd sensation to me.

They were a fun shoe to run in, you basically didn't feel the ground at all and could bomb down a hill with reckless abandonment. For that aspect alone, I believe they would make great ultra shoes.

If you want a highly cushioned shoe, Hokas are not your only option. The Asics Nimbus, Brooks Glycerin, Saucony Triumph, and Nike Vomero (most similar to Hokas despite the 10mm heel height differential), all fit the bill.

One thing to bare in mind however is that the Asics Nimbus have a 12mm heel stack while the hoka have a 4m stack. I have two pairs of the nimbus and love them for their cushioning abilities but with the stack height I heel strike bad in them. Hoping the Hokas work out!
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Have No Luck with Hoka Shoes? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Contact me on PM and give me contact info. I'll need a prepaid mail package back to you. Will give you my current address.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Have No Luck with Hoka Shoes? [Dufflite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dufflite wrote:
pain would develop on the front of both knees.

EXACTLY the same for me. Put in 25 miles total and the knee pain was getting worse and worse. Would come on much faster in each run. When I tried using them off the bike for 20-30 minutes of running it was torture.

Went back to my Netwon's with 500 miles on them and the knee pain went away immediately.

So I have a pair of gently used Hoka's for sale. :-D

Denise
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Have No Luck with Hoka Shoes? [snobum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i cut up an old pair of bondi and measured, really it's more like a 6mm ramp, at least in the size 12 i wear.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bsherman wrote:
There is enough positive feedback on the Hoka's that I am tempted to give them a try. I am 5'10", 150 lbs, 53 yrs old. I have been injury prone for almost 2 years now, mostly lateral knee issues. I have also been through many different types of shoes and inserts without any relief. Who out there has given the Hoka's a try but still struggles with injury. I would hate to buy them and find out they dont help because lets be honest, most of use aren't going to wear these as daily walk around shoes.

Haven't tried them yet myself, my wife probably will get around to it first, but I think you're shooting yourself in the foot here, so to speak, with this form of inquiry. You are suffering from injuries, you're squarely in the demographic Dan has asserted might want to give them a whirl, you've concluded that you are at least tempted, and yet you're asking to be talked out of trying them over the price of a pair (OK the price of 2 pair) of shoes. If nothing changes for you, wouldn't you hate NOT knowing whether they would have worked more than you would hate knowing that they didn't after trying them?

Having said all that, I'm not in any position to claim that knee issues specifically are as well suited to them as some other problems, eg. hips/back, or worn out foot pads, for which I've seen a positive result in others. But still. Were I you, I'd give in to the temptation. Resell them after 100K if they don't help a bit, in which case you'll probably only be out...$70? But you won't be wondering.
Last edited by: skip: May 16, 13 17:39
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Have No Luck with Hoka Shoes? [skip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have been wearing the Asics Nimbus model for the past couple of years. Tried the Bondi B model last month. Did 5 or 6 runs between 2 - 3 miles to break them in. Got a bad case of plantar fasciitis. Returned them and went back to my old shoes. I liked them on my runs. Could definitely feel the difference. Just did not work for me unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody Have No Luck with Hoka Shoes? [snobum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snobum wrote:
One thing to bare in mind however is that the Asics Nimbus have a 12mm heel stack while the hoka have a 4m stack. I have two pairs of the nimbus and love them for their cushioning abilities but with the stack height I heel strike bad in them. Hoping the Hokas work out!

Bondi B: 5mm

Asics Nimbus 14/15: 9mm

Wearing a low drop shoe does not make you midfoot strike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:
snobum wrote:

Bondi B: 5mm

Asics Nimbus 14/15: 9mm

Wearing a low drop shoe does not make you midfoot strike.

Th 14/15 they brought the stack height down. My 13's have an 11+ heel stack. Some have complained they don't like the 14/15's as much as the 12/13 nimbus's but I wouldn't know.

And I know a lower stack won't magically make anyone a midfoot striker, but with less stack it will cause the heel not to hit as soon as a lower stack. I still need to work on cadence and form first.

Initial reaction after a 2 mile run: Feels like running on a cloud. There's a little spring feeling as you land and push off. So far I like them but I have to do a lot more running to give them my approval. I have no clue if they will aggravate any joints or muscles yet.
Last edited by: snobum: May 17, 13 9:30
Quote Reply

Prev Next