Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any workout/training program to improve one’s ability to recover?
Quote | Reply
I’m 49 now, and I’m finding that my biggest problem as I age is that I can’t seem to recover as fast from hard workouts. For example I can still keep up on the Saturday club ride just like always, but then I can’t do the Sunday ride whereas I used to be able to ride hard two days in a row. I see workouts and training programs geared toward improving other specific aspects of fitness, like endurance, or strength, or speed, but I’ve never seen a training program or workout where the description says, “this will train your muscles to recover faster.” Is there such a thing?
Last edited by: AndyCaleb: Dec 18, 19 18:21
Quote Reply
Re: Any workout/training program to improve one’s ability to recover? [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyCaleb wrote:
I’ve never seen a training program or workout where the description says, “this will train your muscles to recover faster.” Is there such a thing?

Yes, having a strong endocrine system and healthy supply of T will speed recovery. Salt baths, massages, those recovery boots, nutrition, hydration...

edit: + sleep

All the usual suspects -

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Dec 18, 19 19:28
Quote Reply
Re: Any workout/training program to improve one’s ability to recover? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can try some active recovery workouts between your harder workouts. This means non-weight bearing and low intensity trainings like for example 30-45 minutes of (indoor) cycling or swimming. Gets the blood flow going and reduces muscle pain. Aim for a rate of perceived exertion (RPE) of maximum 3 out of 10.
Quote Reply
Re: Any workout/training program to improve one’s ability to recover? [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sleep.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Any workout/training program to improve one’s ability to recover? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Sleep. 8-9 hours of restful sleep is ideal.
2. Balanced diet with protein, complex carbs and healthy fats. Carb/Protein meal shortly after workouts.
3. Stress reduction. Work less, meditate, get away from the computer and phone, laugh.
4. Regular massages with a roller after workouts.
5. Strength training 2x per week.
6. Lots of easy/recovery miles. 80-90% of your training should be at conversational pace. Don't do intensity more than 3 days per week. Take one day completely off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on sleep, but make sure you figure out what is the right amount for YOU. I had a long stretch of about a year where I only got 5-6ish hours most nights, and was able to get 7 maybe once per week. Was usually pretty tired. Then had another long stretch where I was able to get 8-9ish hours every night, and was constantly tired, so tried for closer to 10 and didn't feel better. 7-7.5 is my sweet spot for recovery without feeling that general feeling of fatigue from over or under-resting. YMMV.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply