Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any way to get prior notice of Zwift software updates?
Quote | Reply
This morning I was planning to get in a quick Zwift run workout before heading to the office, but when I got to the gym and launched the Zwift app I found that the app was in need of an update that was estimated to take 37 minutes to complete (I was on a slow wifi network at the gym), and the app wouldn't seem to work at all without the update. I didn't have the 37 minutes to spare, so wound up doing an alternate workout. Several times in the past I've missed the start of Zwift events because of the need for Zwift software updates that take more than a few minutes to complete. Does anyone know of a way to find out in advance when these updates are coming? With a little bit of advance notice to allow extra time for an update, I can probably avoid the frustration of missing planned workouts and events going forward.
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to get prior notice of Zwift software updates? [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I opened the companion app this morning it advised of the update. Not sure when they started doing that as I don't think I've seen it before but I did go and update before I left to avoid the situation you were in.
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to get prior notice of Zwift software updates? [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like this as well.

Another thing that I would like is the ability to save my login so I don't have to type in my password every single time.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to get prior notice of Zwift software updates? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

Another thing that I would like is the ability to save my login so I don't have to type in my password every single time.

I've noticed that feature has been broken in the past on the PC app.. I'd check the checkbox for saving the login, then relaunch and it'd go ahead and make me enter it again anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to get prior notice of Zwift software updates? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

Not only that, it takes foreeever to load and start up (3-4 min on average I would guess) and sometimes crashes as well. I bought my PC fairly top of the line about 18 months ago... does it take this long for everyone?

The ability to keep the program running would be really a really nice feature to just start up and go. Right now I have to wake up 10 min earlier than I would normally to budget for Zwift to load.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On both PC and iPad is saves my login info. When I start the app on either device it automatically logs me in.
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to get prior notice of Zwift software updates? [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah on my PC, it doesn't give me an option to save my login. Perhaps I need to uninstall and re-install.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to get prior notice of Zwift software updates? [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
On both PC and iPad is saves my login info. When I start the app on either device it automatically logs me in.

Same here.

I should also point out, loading applications quicker is a function of your computer, not the application. The best solution is make sure your computer has an SSD drive. Solid State Drives are extremely fast and remove a major bottleneck in loading software. It is probably in the top 3 most important items to help your computer run quickly. CPU, Memory and Solid State Disk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:

Same
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to get prior notice of Zwift software updates? [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
MRid wrote:

Same here.

I should also point out, loading applications quicker is a function of your computer, not the application. The best solution is make sure your computer has an SSD drive. Solid State Drives are extremely fast and remove a major bottleneck in loading software. It is probably in the top 3 most important items to help your computer run quickly. CPU, Memory and Solid State Disk.

For the most par that is probably true but I think Zwift also links up with their server during the log in and there may be some things that happen related to the internet speed that happen as well as local? Not sure but It does take a long time to load up vs other programs that I run on my computer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm an occasional Zwift user so it seemed like I was getting an update every time I tried to use the program on my laptop. The updates generally took forever to load on my crappy laptop which was extremely annoying!

It was not the only reason, but the update issues was a big factor in my deciding to get an Apple TV. Problem solved! At least that one . . .

Now I am dealing with the fact that Zwift does not play nice with the Apple TV remote - I guess one is just always destined to have to allow a few minutes to get Zwift up and running. I have never had a problem once Zwift is up and going on any of my platforms. But it is by far the worst app I have ever dealt with in terms of getting it started.
Last edited by: STP: Oct 31, 18 8:40
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to get prior notice of Zwift software updates? [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
stevej wrote:

Not only that, it takes foreeever to load and start up (3-4 min on average I would guess) and sometimes crashes as well. I bought my PC fairly top of the line about 18 months ago... does it take this long for everyone?
For me the password is saved on my PC and also on Android. Zwift is not super fast to load but faster than many 3D games. I would say it takes about 10 seconds on my gaming laptop (with an NVME SSD).
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to get prior notice of Zwift software updates? [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
MRid wrote:

Same here.

Or, if you don't have an SSD drive, run a disk compress program. If the Zwift program file is scattered all over the disk, it takes longer to read into memory because the arm is running all over the place. Compressing may move the file so it can be accessed with minimal arm movement.
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to get prior notice of Zwift software updates? [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It usually takes a few minutes for the Zwift app to load and pair my devices, but I don't mind that because I think it's a reasonable amount of time given all the app can do, and also because it's predictable. My frustration comes when the normal 5 minutes I plan to allow for getting the app loaded and ready to go suddenly becomes 40+ minutes because of the need for an update that I didn't know about in advance. If I could find out about a large update one or two days before the release then I could plan accordingly and make sure to allow time for the update before my workout. I think it's great that there are so many updates because it's a sign the company is constantly changing (hopefully to improve) the program, but given that the large updates seem to be happening more frequently it would be great if there were a way to get a heads up when they're coming.
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to get prior notice of Zwift software updates? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using the Apple TV 4k for a couple of weeks now, bought primarily to use Zwift. It saves both the wife and my logins, and the app has been very stable for me. The remote can be a PITA, but if you go to the settings you can pick between three "speeds" for the swipe feature...I put it on slowest and Zwift was a lot easier to move around in. Also, on an iPhone, if you swipe up you will see an Apple TV remote icon (if you have an Apple TV) you can click on. Using the phone also lets you type instead of sliding up & down their alphabet one letter at a time.

I also just opened my Companion app, and there is a blue "Zwift Update" banner, that when clicked gives a ton of info for their October 31 release. So that was news to me!

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to get prior notice of Zwift software updates? [David_Tris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the Companion App banner this morning was helpful (certainly better then nothing), but I get the sense that it may not have been published prior to the release, and one would have to open the companion app to see the banner notification with enough time to then allow for a long upload process in order for it to be useful. I would find it very helpful if we had an option to opt-in to app notifications and/or emails giving at least 24 hours advance notice of an update that is expected to take more then 1-2 minutes to download.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use AppleTV for Zwift and it saves info and seems to load quickly. I did have a three week stretch where it wouldn't load at all and the app seemed to be frozen - had to use my iPhone during that spell. Then one morning all was good again - weird! Has been working fine for the last six weeks without any loading issues.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with you. My strategy has been to log in the day before planning to ride, hoping to take care of both Zwift and Windows updates ahead of my planned ride. Even doing this, I still manage to get hosed.

And yes, have to type my password all the time on bith pc and android companion. Annoying. grr.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to get prior notice of Zwift software updates? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am getting ready to start up zwift, but I have a question. If I have an apple TV to I also need a laptop or an iPad? How does that work?
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to get prior notice of Zwift software updates? [pedal-boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You do not need a laptop or iPhone to run Zwift on Apple TV. There is a Zwift app you install on your Apple TV from the app store. It works great by the way, despite my minor bitching above about the remote occasionally taking a while to respond. Way better than the crappy old laptop I was using and while not cheap, considerably cheaper than a new laptop.

I already had a Zwift account when i got my Apple TV so all i had to do was log in once I installed the app and I was up and running. I think you can set up an account right on the Apple TV but if you do have a laptop, I would suggest installing the app and doing the initial account setup there. If you have that option, it will be way easier to set things up and do some initial poking around with a keyboard and track pad/mouse on a computer rather than entering stuff on your TV via a remote. I could see that process being a bit frustrating. Once you set up an account, all the basic settings and your data transfer over to any device you log into so you'll never have to go back to your laptop.
Quote Reply
Re: Any way to get prior notice of Zwift software updates? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that is what I wanted to know. At this time I dont have any apple products so I would have to set up everything from the TV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a watcher script looking at changes to this: http://cdn.zwift.com/gameassets/Zwift_Updates_Root/Zwift_ver_cur.xml

That's the URL the launcher checks on Windows to see if there's updates (or was.... it still seems to work). I have that running on a linux server and emailing me when it changes. IFTTT or some other web checker may also work. This is also likely a violation of ToS for looking into their program... or something. Seems to be my theme this week.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply