Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any thoughts on my tri bike fit/setup?
Quote | Reply
Here are a couple of video clips of my tri bike, about 90 minutes into a TrainerRoad session, one with and one without my aero helmet. Any thoughts?

https://share.icloud.com/...J0CWhJ0VZ-_8mRfWRcnQ

https://share.icloud.com/...OTKaAz_ygLq_NZ13uLmQ

The saddle is set up a bit far back, perhaps, but I’ve wanted to keep it UCI legal. I can’t get the bars any lower but they feel about right to me.

I’m wondering though about whether to push slightly further forward. Plus I don’t like the hydration setup cos it takes too much space between the aero bars - they are a tiny bit too wide but even so I can’t really fit my hands comfortably between the aero bar and the front of the bottle.

Lyndon
Quote Reply
Re: Any thoughts on my tri bike fit/setup? [lyndondrake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyndondrake wrote:
Here are a couple of video clips of my tri bike, about 90 minutes into a TrainerRoad session, one with and one without my aero helmet. Any thoughts?

https://share.icloud.com/...J0CWhJ0VZ-_8mRfWRcnQ

https://share.icloud.com/...OTKaAz_ygLq_NZ13uLmQ

The saddle is set up a bit far back, perhaps, but I’ve wanted to keep it UCI legal. I can’t get the bars any lower but they feel about right to me.

I’m wondering though about whether to push slightly further forward. Plus I don’t like the hydration setup cos it takes too much space between the aero bars - they are a tiny bit too wide but even so I can’t really fit my hands comfortably between the aero bar and the front of the bottle.

Lyndon
Seat is a bit high and needs to come down probably 1 cm or so. Hips are closed, and lowering the seat is going to make that worse. So I'd recommend shortening your cranks to open your hips a bit.

Why are you wanting to keep your fit UCI legal? Are you racing triathlon or racing TT where UCI rules are being enforced?

Ideally, I'd move the saddle forward and the armpads forward to match. Then angle the extensions up a few degrees. Also - it's hard to tell, but your cleat position looks like it might be pretty far forward, but I could be totally wrong there.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Oct 28, 18 22:27
Quote Reply
Re: Any thoughts on my tri bike fit/setup? [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason for the UCI-legal was I find the bike part of triathlon the most enjoyable and figured I might do some TT bike races. I haven't found any to do yet though, hence rethinking that part of the bike fit. If I bring the saddle forward, I can put a couple more cms on the stem which will bring the bars to about the right distance, I think. Cranks are already 170s so I'm not sure about shortening them…

I'm hoping the cleats are in a good position as that's from the bike fit, and the cleat position and shims seemed to make a real difference to the comfort levels for long rides. Certainly in practice it seems ok.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't looked at the video but using a Fizik Mistica is a good way to stay UCI legal but still get the position you need due to the cut off nose.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyndondrake wrote:
The reason for the UCI-legal was I find the bike part of triathlon the most enjoyable and figured I might do some TT bike races. I haven't found any to do yet though, hence rethinking that part of the bike fit. If I bring the saddle forward, I can put a couple more cms on the stem which will bring the bars to about the right distance, I think. Cranks are already 170s so I'm not sure about shortening them…

I'm hoping the cleats are in a good position as that's from the bike fit, and the cleat position and shims seemed to make a real difference to the comfort levels for long rides. Certainly in practice it seems ok.
It's really hard for me to tell on the video regarding cleat position, so you can disregard my concerns if you're happy with it.

Here's a video my crew did regarding fore-aft cleat placement just for guidance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1nScQMaJ4Y

Bringing the saddle forward will open your hips up quite a bit. I wouldn't be shy on how far forward you come - as much as 4 cm if the saddle is able.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Oct 29, 18 6:48
Quote Reply
Re: Any thoughts on my tri bike fit/setup? [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's really helpful re the saddle position. Yes, it can easily go that far forward, and doing so will make it also easy to use the stem length I'd prefer - the stem's a bit short at the moment and makes the steering non-ideal. What's been interesting for me is that the fit made sense in the shop, but it was only when I started doing some really long rides that I realised I needed to mess around some more with the aero bars. Just part of being new to the whole sport I guess!

From that video, it looks like my cleats might be a bit far forward, as mine are closer to the first metatarsal rather than the midpoint. Getting the LBS (who did the fit) to set the cleat position made a huge diff compared to what I'd done previously, plus they added a couple of shims to flatten the rotation on one foot. But from your video, potentially I could ask them to shift the cleats back a bit (& drop the saddle slightly to compensate).
Quote Reply