Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Any stuff to prevent my aerobar bolts from rusting?
Quote | Reply
Anybody have any tips on any sprays or coatings that I can apply to the bolts for my aerobar pads to prevent them from rusting?

I just got my bike back from the LBS after rusting through the bolts that hold the pads down - they were so corroded that they had to be drilled out because the hex wrench hole couldn't grip any more.

I use a special sweat cover for my TT bike on the trainer, but the aerobar pads remain exposed, and they're taking a beating as I sweat a ton on the trainer. The sweat is seeping through the pads and rusting the bolts beneath the pads.

A big towel over the aerobar pads does work, but then covers up the clear window that displays my Garmin on the stem, which is important to me to be able to see.

Any good coatings or spray on things that can prevent these bolts from rusting prematurely or at least slow down the rust?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Any stuff to prevent my aerobar bolts from rusting? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have something better - mcmaster.com. Buy stainless steel bolts. One of the cheapest and most useful upgrades you can make to your bike. The fact that stainless bolts are not standard industry wide continues to baffle me. With all the focus on carbon this and that, it'd be a marginal cost increase to make bikes substantively better.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Any stuff to prevent my aerobar bolts from rusting? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about a bike specific product, but Break Free CLP (machine gun oil) which is available at any Bass Pro Shop will do a good job at preventing it. If you don't have one of those close by you can always go to dicks and get Break Free LP, which has all the lubrication and preventive properties but no solvents to eliminate existing rust. If you don't mind grease, I would think simple vaseline would be ok, but Hoppes long term storage gun grease will absolutley prevent rust without have to reapply as frequently. I have seen tests with all these product on sheet metal left ouside for 6 months. The Break Free barely had any, the Hoppes had none where it was streaked. The unprotected sheet metal looked completely red.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never done it, but I've heard of putting silicon caulk on the heads of exposed bolts, especially if they are of the "tighten and forget" type. If you need to access the bolt head, you can usually (:-) pick the caulk out. I think this was also a trick for seat post binder bolts so that a thief can't quickly pinch your seat post and saddle when the bike is locked up at your coffee shop.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get a Qtip and grease and swab a little inside the hex hole. If it's the threads rusting that won't help and I wouldn't grease the threads. Ziploc bag and wash cloth over each armrest during trainer session. Clean and dry them regularly or at least uncover them after you've sweated them up good and make sure they don't sit in moisture. Depending on the bolt, you can upgrade to nonrusting material, 316 or Ti.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Anybody have any tips on any sprays or coatings that I can apply to the bolts for my aerobar pads to prevent them from rusting?

I just got my bike back from the LBS after rusting through the bolts that hold the pads down - they were so corroded that they had to be drilled out because the hex wrench hole couldn't grip any more.

I use a special sweat cover for my TT bike on the trainer, but the aerobar pads remain exposed, and they're taking a beating as I sweat a ton on the trainer. The sweat is seeping through the pads and rusting the bolts beneath the pads.

A big towel over the aerobar pads does work, but then covers up the clear window that displays my Garmin on the stem, which is important to me to be able to see.

Any good coatings or spray on things that can prevent these bolts from rusting prematurely or at least slow down the rust?

Thanks

Clear fingernail polish.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Any stuff to prevent my aerobar bolts from rusting? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
I have something better - mcmaster.com. Buy stainless steel bolts. One of the cheapest and most useful upgrades you can make to your bike. The fact that stainless bolts are not standard industry wide continues to baffle me. With all the focus on carbon this and that, it'd be a marginal cost increase to make bikes substantively better.

I have a hard time finding out exactly what the right bolt size is. I've tried them before, but even a mm of mis-sizing = fail. (I did this for the limiter screws on the Cervelo rear wheel cutout, which didn't work well.)
Quote Reply
Re: Any stuff to prevent my aerobar bolts from rusting? [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Thanks

Clear fingernail polish.

We may have a winner here.

Have you actaully tried this, or is this a theoretical guess?

John
Quote Reply
Re: Any stuff to prevent my aerobar bolts from rusting? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which ones...the regular stainless steel, military spec, or high-strength corrosion-resistant?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link. Now, the question is what size bolts are most aerobar bolts? Only way I have ever done it is by going to home depot with the old in hand to compare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

Someone from ST should start a cottage industry of replacing all the bike bolts and other parts with stainless steel stuff. I've heard arguments about how the strength/grip of them isn't as good, but I think those are moot compared to the mild wimpy human forces we exert on these bolts. It's not like some bike hydraulic machine is subjecting them to tons of forces - we're pretty wimpy as humans.

I would love to change ALL my bolts and parts to stainless steel - it's just I have a hard time matching up all the parts, having mis-ordered them before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll second Rappstar on this one - stainless steel - check out www.loosescrews.com - cycling specific retailer. Replaced hex screws on stems and aerobars 3-4 years ago and they still look like new - even on the trainer bike. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

The problem with stainless steel fasteners is that they can cause galvanic corrosion to whatever they are fastened to, including various aluminum alloys and carbon steels.

http://www.engineersedge.com/...nic_capatability.htm

Just ask classic car buffs who've replaced rusty carbon steel screws with stainless only to later find the body rather than the screw rusting.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Any stuff to prevent my aerobar bolts from rusting? [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

The problem with stainless steel fasteners is that they can cause galvanic corrosion to whatever they are fastened to, including various aluminum alloys and carbon steels.

http://www.engineersedge.com/...nic_capatability.htm

Just ask classic car buffs who've replaced rusty carbon steel screws with stainless only to later find the body rather than the screw rusting.

Lube your fasteners with copper slip to prevent galvanic corrosion.

A bolt caliper/pitch guide is a cheap investment. Comes with thread pitch gauges and a small caliper. Easy way to make sure you get the right bolts.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Any stuff to prevent my aerobar bolts from rusting? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does help for rust. We used to fill our stem and der bolts with silicone to deter thieves. Worked, they'd just take the whole bike but never lost my bars!

Quote | Reply
Not quite the same, but I used clear nail polish as a lacquer over my Union Jack stickers on my top tube to much success. The stickers were not the durable coated type to begin with, more like a paper. The nail polish has been on for over 6 years now and they still look new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Lube your fasteners with copper slip [sic] to prevent galvanic corrosion.

Any grease-like lube, even Vaseline, will provide some corrosion protection -- even with OEM bolts.

Copper is more noble than stainless steel. How does the copper content of Copaslip help galvanic corrosion?

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not titanium? http://www.torontocycles.com/ Seems to me that these should do the trick even better than stainless steel.
Quote Reply
Re: Any stuff to prevent my aerobar bolts from rusting? [ngless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem with stainless steel or titanium is dissimilar metal corrosion [reacting with Aluminium]
I'd recommend installing bolts with Boe-shield; good enough for the Boeing jets, good enough for bikes

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not specifically for this, but i've used it when I had to replace protective finish on belt buckles,betc. (I am allergic to the nickel in some alloys)

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
qtip and 'rust check'

Quote:
I took an old towel, cut a hole in it, and stapled a bit of clear plastic over the little window I made so I could see my bike computer. I've even ran it through the washer without losing staples. You could probably find a waterproof glue and glue a big sheet of plastic to the towel for maximum leakproofiness.

Staples are rusting fast, but they're easy to replace.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep em' clean..... wipe down the sweat on your bike after a ride. BEST way to prevent it!
Quote Reply
Re: Any stuff to prevent my aerobar bolts from rusting? [nonfiction85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nonfiction85 wrote:
Keep em' clean..... wipe down the sweat on your bike after a ride. BEST way to prevent it!

Not after my sweat. I did this for a year and ended up freezing the headset.

I completely spray down my road bike when I use it on rollers as a result - wiping it down simply won't cut it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next