Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Any other Kickr Core owners?
Quote | Reply
So picked one up. My observations:

1. Very quiet and the resistance unit works as expected, like the original kickr, very smooth at holding power, etc.
2. They definitely cheaped out on the stand, which I guess is why the cheaper price point. Mine doesn't even look like it has been welded straight.
3. The way they designed the area that clamps your bike in, there is no clearance between the trainer and the rear dropout area, and I'm worried about contact there. Pic attached.
Quote Reply
Re: Any other Kickr Core owners? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had my core for about 3 weeks and love it. I'm coming from a "dumb" trainer so its a big step up. I can't see anything that could be that much better on a more expensive model. The resistance unit is great. The one thing that had me looking at the Kickr 2018 was its heavier flywheel but after riding the Core, I can't imagine the road feel (great) being noticeably better.

It is very quiet, much quieter than my fan or even my drive train at moderate power levels. While it does make a sound if you listen for it with the fan off if you use a fan, and who doesn't, most of time you won't even hear the trainer. I can watch TV at a normal/non trainer volume level. The Core is as quiet as a trainer needs to be so check quietness off the development list as that task is completed. Quieter fans is where the search for quiet will now go.

The stand does not bother me. I could see it being a "step down" if you have had a Kickr but the Core stand is pretty similar to what I have been training on for the past 20 years so the look does not phase me. It is very stable (rock solid) but at the same time it is narrower than my Road Machine and those few inches actually make a huge difference for me because of a door in my pain cave near the trainer which now can open much wider. I only ride one bike on the trainer and I've had a front wheel block forever so height adjustibility is not an issue for me.

All and all, extremely happy with the purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: Any other Kickr Core owners? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one on my shopping list for the end of next month, so I'm going to keep an eye on this thread. I had wondered about the construction of the base but since I'll be picking it up through MEC I will get their guarantee, so I'm not as concerned if it does break.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you still need to use a front wheel block for a TT bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Any other Kickr Core owners? [MattRudd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak to the kickr core but when looking I don't think I was concerned with the base. I just assumed it would be fine. I ended up getting the elite direto. I assume the kickr core is quieter than the direto but the direto is plenty quiet and since it's quieter than my fan that's all I need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you using it with Bluetooth or ANT+? Any issues connecting/dropping connection?
Quote Reply
Re: Any other Kickr Core owners? [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
Are you using it with Bluetooth or ANT+? Any issues connecting/dropping connection?

I'm using bluetooth to an iphone or macbook pro, works perfect, like my original kickr does.
Quote Reply
Re: Any other Kickr Core owners? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, you don't need a block for the front wheel.
The rear wheel mount is the same height as a rear wheel, so the bike is level without a block.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quiet yes. Works well with the Kickr climb. I had a cadence/speed sensor on the chainstay on my old trainer bike and changing to a crank arm sensor enabled cadence to be picked up by Garmin headunit.

My question; how well does the Wahoo Element bolt headunit works with controlling the Kickr core?
Last edited by: Billyk24: Oct 24, 18 15:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m hoping to pick one up this winter. I hopped on the new kicker at a bike shop not realizing it was the new model (I have a dumb trainer now). It was near silent!

Speaking of quiet fans.. How would one of those bladeless fans work for a trainer fan? The ones that are circles/ovals and don’t have visible fan blades. Are they any quieter? Move decent air?

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Re: Any other Kickr Core owners? [tjones2k9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Are they any quieter? Move decent air?

They're pretty quiet but I haven't come across one that I think moves a sufficient amount of air for a trainer ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
The rear wheel mount is the same height as a rear wheel, so the bike is level without a block.

Does that hold true if you have a 650c wheel?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I've returned original Kickrs 3 times due to various issues, dropped Bluetooth connection being one of them. After the 3rd one I ended up with a different trainer that uses ANT+, and haven't had any connection issues with it for 3+ years.

Pretty close to giving core a go, might wait and see if there will be any sales on it over the holiday season though, just in case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not set out to do a test but due some changes I have made along with getting the new trainer, I have ended up using both ANT+ and Bluetooth on 3 different devices and had no issues with drop outs or pairing issues.

I've used it with TrainerRoad and Zwift connected to my laptop via ANT+; with Zwift via Bluetooth to an Apple TV and with TrainerRoad via Bluetooth to my iPhone.

I'm using power match with TrainerRoad with my ANT+ Quarq which is also transmitting cadence and I have that connected to my phone with a CABLE Connect thing. i can see some drop outs on that now and then (I know it is the Quarq connection because the cadence drops out) but the Core's connection is rock solid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
I did not set out to do a test but due some changes I have made along with getting the new trainer, I have ended up using both ANT+ and Bluetooth on 3 different devices and had no issues with drop outs or pairing issues.

I've used it with TrainerRoad and Zwift connected to my laptop via ANT+; with Zwift via Bluetooth to an Apple TV and with TrainerRoad via Bluetooth to my iPhone.

I'm using power match with TrainerRoad with my ANT+ Quarq which is also transmitting cadence and I have that connected to my phone with a CABLE Connect thing. i can see some drop outs on that now and then (I know it is the Quarq connection because the cadence drops out) but the Core's connection is rock solid.

Thanks. I don't have any issue with the Core's resistance unit either, pairs up quick and works well with trainerroad. My disappointment with it is with the slightly crooked stand, and what seems to be a possible rear drop out clearance issue with my frame (Felt IA).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:

If you have connection dropping issues on ANT+, please check out my zwift fixed thread (don't have the link right now). I suffered from that on my Kickr for the last 2 years. Finally figured out the problem. It was a sleep mode on the USB ports on the computer. Linked to the article that fixed it in my thread. Haven't had a drop in last 8-10 workouts of 1-2 hours in length. Very happy that I can race and not lose the draft every 10-15 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Any other Kickr Core owners? [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stupid question--is there an on/off?

i cant find it. do people just leave it on all the time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:

On mine the rear wheel is about 3/4 of an inch higher than my front wheel on the same surface, so I used a block to level it. It felt like it was going downhill so I checked and it was.
Quote Reply
Re: Any other Kickr Core owners? [favata1213] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
favata1213 wrote:
stupid question--is there an on/off?

i cant find it. do people just leave it on all the time?

Hopefully by now you've figured out how to unplug it.
Quote Reply
Re: Any other Kickr Core owners? [cold turtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks, i get that. was wondering if that is what people do or if its better to leave on. most things have a plug and on/off button.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am on my second Kickr Core and (first one replaced quickly because of what Wahoo called a "known problem").

This second one puts out about 13% more power that what Trainerroad says to put out. I have tested it out on timed intervals at given power levels against my Power 2 max crank based PM which was connected to my Garmin.

The first one I had matched my crank based meter perfectly (before the problem), and now my second one has this power problem.

I emailed Wahoo, hopefully they will cover it as quickly and efficiently as they did on the first one.

I am feeling a little victim to being an early customer on the Core. Wahoos customer service seemed great so hopefully this one will get replaced and I can have a perfectly functioning trainer once and for all....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I always unplug mine when not in use. I also try to ride outside as much as possible. Not sure if it's necessary or not but the outlet is easy to access. If it is plugged in somewhere hard to reach and you are using it almost daily, it might not be worth the effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I plugged my Core and Climb into a power strip. I just toggle the strip on and off.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
favata1213 wrote:
thanks, i get that. was wondering if that is what people do or if its better to leave on. most things have a plug and on/off button.

I just leave mine plugged in.
Quote Reply
Re: Any other Kickr Core owners? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the kickr core. I have no issues with the base; it is super strong.

Connectivity has been perfect. AND very oddly...it has improved the reliability of my ANT+ connection to my p2m power meter which used to drop quite often when I used a dumb trainer. (e.g. once every 3 rides in which I would have to at least unplug and plug in the USB again, and often times, restart zwift entirely)

I have the power and cadence coming from my P2M and use the FE-C ANT for the controllable trainer on zwift. (And HR separate, also on ANT+) Never once had a dropped connection in over 25 hours of riding with it.

I have no idea why, but I suspect something with the FE-C means the computer and trainer are always in communication.
Quote Reply

Prev Next