Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Any one familiar with "The Pro's Closet?
Quote | Reply
I'm doing some looking for a used bike. I would like to have electronic shifting and a power meter. This website for The Pros Closet has some bikes that fit my budget. Anyone used them before?

Quote Reply
Re: Any one familiar with "The Pro's Closet? [Bleucheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only those familiar with the search button on ST. ;)

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...os%20closet#p7139935
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese wrote:
I'm doing some looking for a used bike. I would like to have electronic shifting and a power meter. This website for The Pros Closet has some bikes that fit my budget. Anyone used them before?

I used them for a sale. Seamless process and i'd happily use them again. Dan wrote a front page article on them not too long ago. I was also looking at purchasing through them and I wouldn't hesitate to do so. Good luck!

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sold two bikes to them. I didn't buy only because they did not have what I was specifically looking for.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Any one familiar with "The Pro's Closet? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Didn't realize they buy bikes. I may give that a shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just sold them a pair of Hed Jet wheels. Fair price, easy shipping. The money was deposited via PayPal. I would use them again to sell or buy.
-Doug

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese wrote:

you may want to note this front page article. where i walk you thru my own experiences: i've sold 5 bikes to TPC over the last couple of months. also, if you're reading from a desktop you'll note some curated threads to which we pay special attention here...

and that thread is a guide to selling or buying used, which hasn't really kicked off yet, but will include special attention to TPC.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Any one familiar with "The Pro's Closet? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll admit to being lazy, and admit to only occasionally lurking the Tri and Lav rooms. Upon inspection, your site has plenty of places I've never seen. But I do work every day, 10-11 hrs each day. I am lucky to have 5 minutes to scarf down a sandwich. Once I get home, no screens for me. So my apologizes to all who know the site and are versed at the search function.
I promise to be a better boy in the future.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the price fair? I've been a little put off by their pricing recently.

For example:

A used, 2019 Trek ALR 5 for $2199 (all stock from what I can tell):

https://www.theproscloset.com/...-road-bike-2019-56cm

2021 NEW Trek ALR 5 goes for $1999:

https://www.trekbikes.com/...colorCode=grey_black

Hey, if they have inventory during the pandemic they can charge what they want - but it just irks me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never purchased form them, but their prices always seemed high to me. For example, I'm looking at an S-Works Venge. Bikes is $12,500 new. They have one list for $9500, but with a lower end set of wheels (CL vs CLX trim), so we're talking less than 20% off for a used carbon fiber bike (who knows why it was sold) with a bunch of paint chips. No thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Any one familiar with "The Pro's Closet? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're getting peace of mind that a mech looked at the bike and it's structurally sound. I bought a 2019 speed concept from them for a price that was likely a bit higher, but I'm not going to squabble. I knew it was a great bike. I would consider going through them again... Especially when considering the alternative is buying used directly from a seller.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done both buy and sell from them and it could not have been easier, I definitely would recommend using them if you are looking to sell dealing with ebay and other outlets for getting rid of unused bikes and gear is a serious pain in the ass. I nearly always regret selling gear on Ebay due to the fees and people trying to get something for nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bleucheese wrote:
I'll admit to being lazy, and admit to only occasionally lurking the Tri and Lav rooms. Upon inspection, your site has plenty of places I've never seen. But I do work every day, 10-11 hrs each day. I am lucky to have 5 minutes to scarf down a sandwich. Once I get home, no screens for me. So my apologizes to all who know the site and are versed at the search function.
I promise to be a better boy in the future.

i didn't take you to task ;-) i'm just pointing out some places to look, in service to your reach-out.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used them to buy 3 used bikes within the last year and can highly recommend them. They were in the $1,800 to $3,000 range (2 Shiv's and a Ruby expert for the wife)

The pricing is fair, and if you are patient you can find a good deal.I would recommend checking the website daily for a couple of weeks so you have an idea of the pricing for the type of bike you are looking for.

Regarding the bike with a power meter, they have started adding disclaimers about used power meters but one of the bikes I purchased has one and it works fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Any one familiar with "The Pro's Closet? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I have been in the market for straightforward items like wheels, I’ve noticed their pricing kinda sucks. It works like this:

Ebay or ST classifieds: $500
TPC: $650
MSRP for new item: $1000
New item with a little haggling with LBS or online sale: $800

In that value continuum, they occupy a spot that isn’t very compelling to me. I’d prefer to get something new with a warranty, or something cheap.
Quote Reply
Re: Any one familiar with "The Pro's Closet? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
When I have been in the market for straightforward items like wheels, I’ve noticed their pricing kinda sucks. It works like this:

Ebay or ST classifieds: $500
TPC: $650
MSRP for new item: $1000
New item with a little haggling with LBS or online sale: $800

In that value continuum, they occupy a spot that isn’t very compelling to me. I’d prefer to get something new with a warranty, or something cheap.

I Agree. For example, I see a brand new, warrantied S3 with DI2 on sale for $5,500 at RA Cycle. Same bike, with basically same specs, except etap, and it is used is $7,142 at pros closet. You could buy the DI2 version, sell the parts, buy full etap and still come out way ahead with a new, warrantied bike than what the pros closet is offering.

I don’t have anything against these guys and you may be able to find a deal here or there. I have no doubt they are reputable and easy to work with. Even today I submitted my bike to them for a possible sale (ie they made an offer to buy). The offer was terrible but it was quick and easy to at least try. When I look on the products on their site, I leave very underwhelmed by their value proposition.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 16, 20 18:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't used them, but I like their 30 day return policy.
Quote Reply
Re: Any one familiar with "The Pro's Closet? [swimbikerun66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How much of a cut do they take when you sell to them? If, for instance, they are selling a bike at $5k, at what price did they buy it? I’ve heard they take a steep cut and I’m wondering why I wouldn’t just sell my bike myself directly, or at least try to do so first.

swimbikerun66 wrote:
I have done both buy and sell from them and it could not have been easier, I definitely would recommend using them if you are looking to sell dealing with ebay and other outlets for getting rid of unused bikes and gear is a serious pain in the ass. I nearly always regret selling gear on Ebay due to the fees and people trying to get something for nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Any one familiar with "The Pro's Closet? [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
How much of a cut do they take when you sell to them? If, for instance, they are selling a bike at $5k, at what price did they buy it? I’ve heard they take a steep cut and I’m wondering why I wouldn’t just sell my bike myself directly, or at least try to do so first.

swimbikerun66 wrote:
For the same reason why people may prefer to go to a used car dealer than to do private party sales. Private party may offer lower prices, but for buyers, there's a peace of mind that comes with doing business with a known quantity.

Someone on the paceline forum shared how TPC paid him ~$3k for a bike and listed it for $5k, which he deemed to be quite high. If no one buys it for a set period, the price will come down, perhaps to $4k eventually. All this time, it garners much more attention (nationwide, one would think) than what the bike could have garnered from postings on the classified.
Quote Reply
Re: Any one familiar with "The Pro's Closet? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a bunch of stuff from mybikeshop when they were in the used bike business. They were fantastic (still are, just have a new model). Difference with TPC is price. MBS had fair value and you could negotiate a bit. TPC prices are lousy.
Quote Reply
Re: Any one familiar with "The Pro's Closet? [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:

swimbikerun66 wrote:

Based on some quotes I have received, I think you would receive an offer between $2-$3k cash (or a little more in store credit) for a bike that is then sold for $5k. That is why I didn’t sell mine at least. Easy? Sure. Quick? Yes. But for that convenience, the offer is extremely low. It may be worth it for some but not for others. If you want a quote, try it, the process is easy and the offer comes very quickly.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 16, 20 19:58
Quote Reply
Re: Any one familiar with "The Pro's Closet? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
I bought a bunch of stuff from mybikeshop when they were in the used bike business. They were fantastic (still are, just have a new model). Difference with TPC is price. MBS had fair value and you could negotiate a bit. TPC prices are lousy.

It probably just depends on the item.

MBS is pretty good, regardless of the line of work.
Quote Reply
Re: Any one familiar with "The Pro's Closet? [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
I haven't used them, but I like their 30 day return policy.

They have a 30 day return for store credit policy. You forgot a few very important words. Of course, any type of return policy is better than not for used equipment, but store credit might not be all that valuable, if they don’t have what you are looking for in a replacement for your return.
Last edited by: wetswimmer99: Sep 16, 20 20:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a Trek emonda 2019 sl with ultegra and am very happy with the experience. Price was fair and delivery and condition of bike was better than expected.

Only thing I forgot were no pedals, but that was my bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Any one familiar with "The Pro's Closet? [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wetswimmer99 wrote:
They have a 30 day return for store credit policy. You forgot a few very important words.
No, I didn't forget anything. I didn't say "refund policy", I said "return policy".

I think a 30 day store credit window is generous for the guy who hates the bike he just bought.
Last edited by: rijndael: Sep 17, 20 3:48
Quote Reply

Prev Next