Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know which, if any new bikes will be previewed at Kona this year?

I'm in the market for a new bike and I'd hate to make a purchase only to find out that a new bike that I would be interested is being released.

In 2011 I bought a Specialized Transition about a month before Crowie rode the new Shiv to victory at Kona. Trying to avoid that happening again.

Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None that I know of

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Shiv should be out next year

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes Premier Tactical, it as been out a while but mostly only slowtwitchers know about it
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I'll check it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cannondale SuperSlice made a semi-incognito preview last year, but I expect a full public release this year.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Cannondale SuperSlice made a semi-incognito preview last year, but I expect a full public release this year.

Thank you Gary. I'll the Cannondale rep is supposed to be at our LBS this week. I'll talk to him.

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was told by a rep it was supposed to be out the end of this past month. Not sure what happened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

Do you know when next year?
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveMc wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Do you know when next year?

I'm sure it's going to be about 30 days AFTER I buy my new bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

Didn't everyone say the same thing last year? Is there any reason to think they are planning to release something new, other than 'they are due'?
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Didn't everyone say the same thing last year? Is there any reason to think they are planning to release something new, other than 'they are due'?

I will take the blame for thinking that "maybe this year we will see a new Shiv". That has been one of my annual predictions for probably 3 years now. It just made sense that they would update the Shiv because the original design dates back to 2009 or 2010 and it's performance was quickly eclipsed by the P4 (I lump the Shiv tri design in with the TT/Nosecone because they used the profile shape of nosecone in the Tri design).

It still amazes me that they built that fancy windtunnel and we have seen so few products as a result. I guess they probably used it to help with the new Tarmac and maybe the Roubaix, but those are hardly bikes whose sales would greatly benefit from aero gains. The disc wheel is another example of a product that probably spent some serious time in their tunnel, but that isn't going to be a big seller, if it is even available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NewbieTri100 wrote:
gary p wrote:

Thank you Gary. I'll the Cannondale rep is supposed to be at our LBS this week. I'll talk to him.

Michael

Cannondale removed the "Slice" from its (USA) website 12 days ago. A female tri-pro was quoted as saying "close to Kona" a few surprise will occur.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cube/ Swissside have released their 2018 Tri bike, though the Prototype was released & ridden at Kona last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
NewbieTri100 wrote:
gary p wrote:

Michael

Cannondale removed the "Slice" from its (USA) website 12 days ago. A female tri-pro was quoted as saying "close to Kona" a few surprise will occur.

Looks like I may have to wait for Kona before ordering a bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Per my recent chat with Trek, there will be no new Speed Concept in 2018. Cervelo showed new colors of the P2 and P3 on my instagram feed today, so evidently those models aren't being replaced in 2018.
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
NewbieTri100 wrote:
gary p wrote:

Michael

I still see 4 models of the Slice listed on their website. It's on the bottom of the page of all the road bikes.

http://www.cannondale.com/...4f-9df0-d6ac93d2f69f

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good strategy to wait for Kona. I hear there will be a new Specialized tri bike debuting there, but we've heard that before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Newbie,

I would really, really appreciate knowing if they plan on releasing a slice with disc brakes as was used on the tour circuit this summer. If you find this out, please let me know.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean Slowtwitch isn't the centre of every triathletes universe?

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
It still amazes me that they built that fancy windtunnel and we have seen so few products as a result. I guess they probably used it to help with the new Tarmac and maybe the Roubaix, but those are hardly bikes whose sales would greatly benefit from aero gains. The disc wheel is another example of a product that probably spent some serious time in their tunnel, but that isn't going to be a big seller, if it is even available.

Well you've conveniently overlooked the Venge ViAS there, both the disc and non-disc version. They were developed and marketed heavily based on aerodynamic data from their tunnel and the aero-road bike segment has been huge over the last 24 months.

I think the delay with the Shiv is probably linked to this; depsite the undoubted outcry on here, there's will be a disc-version of it and I'm guessing they're trying to close the aero-penalty of running discs. With the Venge they could get away with saying "discs will cost you xyz seconds" because improved braking is often a legitimate benefit on a road bike; I don't think the same argument will go down so well in the tri/TT market though.

And then there's the issue that TT bikes are a niche market and sit at the bottom of the development pile. They seem to have had their hands full with the new Tarmac, I've still not seen the disc-version of the new model. Based on the rumours that I've heard, I don't think we'll be seeing a new Shiv any time soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

Well you've conveniently overlooked the Venge ViAS there, both the disc and non-disc version. They were developed and marketed heavily based on aerodynamic data from their tunnel and the aero-road bike segment has been huge over the last 24 months.

I think the delay with the Shiv is probably linked to this; depsite the undoubted outcry on here, there's will be a disc-version of it and I'm guessing they're trying to close the aero-penalty of running discs. With the Venge they could get away with saying "discs will cost you xyz seconds" because improved braking is often a legitimate benefit on a road bike; I don't think the same argument will go down so well in the tri/TT market though.

And then there's the issue that TT bikes are a niche market and sit at the bottom of the development pile. They seem to have had their hands full with the new Tarmac, I've still not seen the disc-version of the new model. Based on the rumours that I've heard, I don't think we'll be seeing a new Shiv any time soon.

Ya good point. I didn't state that very well. I guess I find it surprising that they didnt turn around after the Vias Venge intro and produce a new TT. It is already the fastest low -yaw road bike, so it would seem like adapting it to a TT application would be fairly straightforward. Horizontal top tube. Steeper seat tube angle, new stem design that works with a pedestaled aerobar. It would basically be Tom A's S5 without the aero or die bar.

Maybe the fact that they didn't do this means that there won't be a specific TT frame and they will keep the internal hydration. You couldn't get much fluid in the skinny Vias headtube design.
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [chrisgrigsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisgrigsby wrote:
Per my recent chat with Trek, there will be no new Speed Concept in 2018.

I wouldn't be too surprised if there is a tri specific bike (A la P5x) released at Kona.

It seems a bit odd that they'd kill off the 9 series Speed Concept and leave only one mid range UCI legal TT bike in the range.
Quote Reply

Prev Next