Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Any new Canyons this year?
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

Anyone know the last date Canyon updated the SpeedMax?

Any rumours on the 2020 models and approx. when they usually get launched? Kona is just around the corner so I’m thinking soon?

Appreciate it!
Quote Reply
Re: Any new Canyons this year? [sigmachi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sigmachi wrote:
Hey all,

Any rumours on the 2020 models and approx. when they usually get launched? Kona is just around the corner so I’m thinking soon?

Appreciate it!

me personally, im thinking there will be a disc model launched. it just makes sense with the way the market has shifted.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Any new Canyons this year? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed - the list of speedmax options has shrunk so I'm also expecting a disc brake version. I almost bought a speedmax a few months ago, but it just didn't make sense to invest in rim brakes especially when my other road bike also has disc brakes so wheel compatibility is a big factor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered a Speedmax few weeks ago with quite some discount (10%) from a sale event here in Europe. After a fit I found out the size was a fraction too small so had it shipped back. Canyon told me to place a new order. Now expected delivery time has shifted to mid October.

Combination of the sale event and the extended waiting time for my new bike could very possibly mean a new version is getting introduced soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe around this time last year or maybe a bit later, I saw a vacancy on their website for an engineer to develop TT/Tri/Aero bikes and a while later also one for MTB/E-bikes so I suspect they've been working on something.
Quote Reply
Re: Any new Canyons this year? [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canyon rep told me in Kona Oct. 2018 that we "wouldn't have to wait long" for a disc brake TT model. Yeah, well, >=1 year is a long time, IMHO.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Re: Any new Canyons this year? [lllusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canyon rep told me the exact opposite at kona last year lol. Said no disc brake tt on their horizon, that it's a unnecessary and slower
Quote Reply
Re: Any new Canyons this year? [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:
Canyon rep told me the exact opposite at kona last year lol. Said no disc brake tt on their horizon, that it's a unnecessary and slower

That's what he initially told me as well since he was trying to market the bike we were standing next to. But when I started pressing him he finally relented.

/Howie Nordström
Last edited by: lllusion: Sep 18, 19 10:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so what your saying here is.

The sales guy just seems to tell you what you want to hear. He's good.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Any new Canyons this year? [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:

I called Canyon USA & was told the same thing. They won't come out with a disc. Which is crap and an outright lie so they can just sell what inventory of rim brake versions they have. All their other bikes are pretty much disc in their lineup (but Aeroad CF SL 8.0 and the Speedmax). I personally don't blame them for tell you that, but at the same time I don't appreciate being lied to if they *know something* and just aren't allowed to let the cat out of the bag. Why not just say, "I have no information on any release date of a redesign that I'm aware of...and if I did, I would not be allowed to say." That sounds more open ended of an answer yet leaves them wiggle room to not outright say they are not going to do that.

Personally, if I were to lay down cash on a bike (once every 10 years), they'd lose my business, because I'd buy disc. If they don't have it together yet, or never would, then I would never buy a Canyon. Cervelo P5 disc would be my choice right now as of today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah he was trying to talk me out of the new felt ia disc haha
Quote Reply
Re: Any new Canyons this year? [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:

Not good enough 'cause I didn't purchase anything. (But I clearly made him think I would. ;) )

Rocky M wrote:
Personally, if I were to lay down cash on a bike (once every 10 years), they'd lose my business, because I'd buy disc. If they don't have it together yet, or never would, then I would never buy a Canyon.
100%. That's just how I see it.

Rocky M wrote:
Cervelo P5 disc would be my choice right now as of today.
Would you mind sharing why this would be your choice?

I'm looking for my next bike. It'll have disc brakes and & Di2. I'd prefer to purchase frame only and install my own parts, and I don't want to be limited to a propritary cockpit.

Oh, and it'll fit me. Once I have my list then I'll choose the frame that works with my fit measurements.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spoke with someone at Canyon France two days ago and they confirmed there won’t be a Speedmax Disc in 2020. I might be wrong but I still hope this is some weird commercial technique to get rid of the rim version stock...

Anyways they also said the 2020 lineup should be announced somewhere between mid-October and early-November (this is quite broad...)

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lllusion wrote:
Triathletetoth wrote:

Not good enough 'cause I didn't purchase anything. (But I clearly made him think I would. ;) )

Rocky M wrote:
Personally, if I were to lay down cash on a bike (once every 10 years), they'd lose my business, because I'd buy disc. If they don't have it together yet, or never would, then I would never buy a Canyon.

100%. That's just how I see it.

Rocky M wrote:
Cervelo P5 disc would be my choice right now as of today.

Would you mind sharing why this would be your choice?

Illusion--various personal reasons. Some of it is very much visual and I'm okay with that, but it must have performance qualities and integration I like (front end, stiff frame, places to hide Di boxes, disc brakes as that's just the industry these days like it or not), others but let's get to it below...

1) It has been shown to be one of the fastest tri bike out there, bar none and is considered by many the golden measuring stick for other bikes. Kind of like wheel companies often compare to Zipp in their testing graphs.

2) I have a P3 and love it, no reason to get rid of it yet--it's looking beat up with some paint chips/cracks but functionally, it is amazing.

3) Great bang for the buck out of Cervelo. Engineering and quality is just *smart* in design.

4) My local shop has them and I know they'll take care of me as a very, very frequent customer for tri related purchases (not all, but I'm there a lot).

5) Felts are unappealing to me due to the huge tubes but a solid bike, Pinarello are crazy expensive but I never rode one & they look cool, Fuji (I feel just low quality/heavy), QR (I don't like their designs these days but own a QR Ti frame), Trek (PITA to travel with based off several I know who have them), Dimond is just old school looking (used to have a Softride Power V and that was heavy and now that I look back, silly looking), Ventum...while interesting feels heavy to me...it's not for me. Specialized has a cool front end but everything back of the armpads is about the most ridiculous thing I've seen (I'd be embarrassed to ride something that fugly--it's a half road bike with some aero front and a leaky big*ass water bottle bolted on the back...the only thing more fugly is the Diamondback Andean...the list goes on. These are just my opinions & realize all bikes mentioned have fast riders on them (they could go fast on ANY bike), and have fans of their own--but those are briefs on why I wouldn't go with any of those. Cervelo just checks all the boxes on quality, current integration of technologies, and by the sheer speed of getting that to the market shows they are vested in triathlon to the point I know they'll be around a long time. Other smaller companies may struggle to keep in the game.
Quote Reply
Re: Any new Canyons this year? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Illusion--various personal reasons. Some of it is very much visual and I'm okay with that, but it must have performance qualities and integration I like (front end, stiff frame, places to hide Di boxes, disc brakes as that's just the industry these days like it or not), others but let's get to it below...

1) It has been shown to be one of the fastest tri bike out there, bar none and is considered by many the golden measuring stick for other bikes. Kind of like wheel companies often compare to Zipp in their testing graphs.

2) I have a P3 and love it, no reason to get rid of it yet--it's looking beat up with some paint chips/cracks but functionally, it is amazing.

3) Great bang for the buck out of Cervelo. Engineering and quality is just *smart* in design.

4) My local shop has them and I know they'll take care of me as a very, very frequent customer for tri related purchases (not all, but I'm there a lot).

5) Felts are unappealing to me due to the huge tubes but a solid bike, Pinarello are crazy expensive but I never rode one & they look cool, Fuji (I feel just low quality/heavy), QR (I don't like their designs these days but own a QR Ti frame), Trek (PITA to travel with based off several I know who have them), Dimond is just old school looking (used to have a Softride Power V and that was heavy and now that I look back, silly looking), Ventum...while interesting feels heavy to me...it's not for me. Specialized has a cool front end but everything back of the armpads is about the most ridiculous thing I've seen (I'd be embarrassed to ride something that fugly--it's a half road bike with some aero front and a leaky big*ass water bottle bolted on the back...the only thing more fugly is the Diamondback Andean...the list goes on. These are just my opinions & realize all bikes mentioned have fast riders on them (they could go fast on ANY bike), and have fans of their own--but those are briefs on why I wouldn't go with any of those. Cervelo just checks all the boxes on quality, current integration of technologies, and by the sheer speed of getting that to the market shows they are vested in triathlon to the point I know they'll be around a long time. Other smaller companies may struggle to keep in the game.
I gotta say that you echo many of my thoughts. I also have a P3 (2015) and although there are an increasing number of paint issues it does still work quite well. I'd love to have a beam bike because I enjoy the feel of them, but none yet fill the 'must haves' boxes.

I fully believe in the mental aspect of loving the beast below and that feeling silly, heavy, and/or slow will be reflected in reality: Felt, Specialized, and Trek are bikes that don't work for me on this level. While I kinda like the look of Diamondback I would feel heavy on climbs. I was never a QR fan but it and Cube have moved up the list of possibilities. I could possibly go for the new Cervélo P-series. Although the PX would check all the boxes for me, if I would spend that kind of money then a bit more would get me much more quality in a Pinarello Bolide TR (and a feel of lush-ness that I'd love for 8+ hour TT days: i.e. Ultraman training & day 2). Cube and Storck weren't even on my radar but they seem to offer a lot for much less price, thereby allowing for higher quality parts and wheels.

With all that said, I'll need to review the frames with a trusted fitter and pull out the ones that fit me (while also filling my asthetic desires ;) ).

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
I called Canyon USA & was told the same thing. They won't come out with a disc. Which is crap and an outright lie so they can just sell what inventory of rim brake versions they have. All their other bikes are pretty much disc in their lineup (but Aeroad CF SL 8.0 and the Speedmax). I personally don't blame them for tell you that, but at the same time I don't appreciate being lied to if they *know something* and just aren't allowed to let the cat out of the bag. Why not just say, "I have no information on any release date of a redesign that I'm aware of...and if I did, I would not be allowed to say." That sounds more open ended of an answer yet leaves them wiggle room to not outright say they are not going to do that.

Maybe the disc version is a year away. Maybe they don't know when it comes out exactly. Or maybe they do need to sell out their old stock. Either way, I would have to guess that the reason is that they figure it's better to have a few online complaints like this than be a victim of the Osborne Effect.

And if they were to reply as you ask, then you (or someone like you) would just then complain about how you "don't appreciate them being evasive". People are going to complain regardless

(I saw a news story the other day about a hotel with a bunch of bad online reviews from people complaining about their stays there during a 4 year period during which it wasn't even open for business. )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sigmachi wrote:
Hey all,

Appreciate it!

a bit more solid than a rumour, BUT still a rumour till shown true; new Speedmax (disc) at Kona. You can guess the 3 who will be on it. Components wise it will be interesting as the Shimano fire really has dampened their quest to more tech improvements ala Sram with wireless. Thus current Shimano components or Sram Axs

The BIKE manufacturers do not want to go disk but that is where the industry is going and there's no stopping it now...if your bikes don't have disc you're considered yesterday's news
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a 2014 P3 di2 Ultegra.

My next tri bike will be disk equipped (as my next road bike), for safety reasons (better braking in long downhill). And again di2 or e-tap (2x, too much high percentages for 1x).

Top of my list are now Cervelo P-Series (straight P3 replacement), Cube C68 TT, and QR PR5 (however, QR difficult to find in Europe).

Canyon should be in good position... when they will have a disk version.

Canyon is proposing good prices through direct sales AND low stock, so indeed Osborne effect is a big risk for them...
no doubt they will wait for their stock of rim TT bikes to be down, down, down......
then announce an immediately available disk version....
making last rim buyers possibly furious....
but their turnover and margin in good shape !

Do not expect early announcement from Canyon, IMO
Either you wait, blind, or you go elsewhere...
Quote Reply
Re: Any new Canyons this year? [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
...Cube C68 TT, and QR PR5 (however, QR difficult to find in Europe).
What are you thoughts regarding these two bikes?

As I wrote above, they, and Storck, weren't even on my radar until recently so I need to learn more about them.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Re: Any new Canyons this year? [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
sigmachi wrote:
Hey all,

Appreciate it!

a bit more solid than a rumour, BUT still a rumour till shown true; new Speedmax (disc) at Kona. You can guess the 3 who will be on it. Components wise it will be interesting as the Shimano fire really has dampened their quest to more tech improvements ala Sram with wireless. Thus current Shimano components or Sram Axs

The BIKE manufacturers do not want to go disk but that is where the industry is going and there's no stopping it now...if your bikes don't have disc you're considered yesterday's news

The bike exists. Its been around England under Dowsett as of late. Not sure he will ride it at the Worlds TT though b/c, discs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not much contact with the bikes, but they both look great, simple to use, fit and tune (like P3 and new P-Serie), good aero and reasonable weight, well equipped and well priced.

QR PR5 : many peoples use it in the US, so lot of feedback available on slow twitch. Not much distributed in Europe...
Cube C68 TT : just released. I liked the previous version, but it was quite heavy, apparently not the case with this one. I expect some other versions to come, with deeper wheels.

Then you should check the fit for you.

Also, like Canyon, Trek is still to announce a disk version of the speed concept ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
I don't appreciate being lied to if they *know something* and just aren't allowed to let the cat out of the bag.

There is a strong possibility that you are overestimating the information flow between the development team and customer service. Especially customer service in the USA given the way the business is structured.

Modern bikes are a long time in development and there are a lot of moving parts that have to be coordinated to deliver on time. Often the wider business will only know 'there is a tri bike being worked on' and not much more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lllusion wrote:
I fully believe in the mental aspect of loving the beast below and that feeling silly, heavy, and/or slow will be reflected in reality: Felt, Specialized, and Trek are bikes that don't work for me on this level.

Have you done your research? The Shiv Disc is not a heavy bike by todays integreated bike standards. Depending on Size and Build it is roughly 19.2lbs(8.7kg) with all of the accoutrements.

This is nearly as light at the Cervelo P5D which is UCI legal and well lighter than other brands disc models.

I am biased of course, but the weight was a priority on the new SHIV and while it may look heavy, it handles much better than a typical tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Any new Canyons this year? [GatorRacer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GatorRacer wrote:
Have you done your research? The Shiv Disc is not a heavy bike by todays integreated bike standards. Depending on Size and Build it is roughly 19.2lbs(8.7kg) with all of the accoutrements.

This is nearly as light at the Cervelo P5D which is UCI legal and well lighter than other brands disc models.

I am biased of course, but the weight was a priority on the new SHIV and while it may look heavy, it handles much better than a typical tri bike.
If *I* feel heavy or non-ero on the bike then I won't put out the watts or be as aero as I could be. Sure, the Shiv is relatively light, but, to me, it asthetically looks like planks of wood glued together.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Re: Any new Canyons this year? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven’t managed to watch the TT WC - did Dowsett ride a disc version of the Speedmax?

Thanks!

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply

Prev Next