Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any nephrologists or urologists here?
Quote | Reply
After running 19 miles, I peed blood. Within a minute of stopping. I immediately assumed i had kidney stones, and the er confirmed that i do. 2 calcium oxilate stones. They are still in the kidneys, and they aren’t large, but obviously big enough to cause a “significant” amount of blood in my urine. I am happy to share the lab results if it would help answer this:

How bad is it to keep running if i keep peeing blood?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Any nephrologists or urologists here? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
After running 19 miles, I peed blood. Within a minute of stopping. I immediately assumed i had kidney stones, and the er confirmed that i do. 2 calcium oxilate stones. They are still in the kidneys, and they aren’t large, but obviously big enough to cause a “significant” amount of blood in my urine. I am happy to share the lab results if it would help answer this:

Not a urologist but happy to offer some advice.
The blood in your urine may not be kidney stones. It is quite "common" (uncommon but not so much to be unheard of, it has happened to me) to get blood in the urine after a long run from bladder trauma but your day to day ED physician may not know that. Your stones are probably not the major issue if you have not had issues with pain etc in the past.
What do your labs show? If your kidney function is all normal and the blood has stopped passing you are more than likely to be fine to getting back running again but keeping a close eye on hydration levels. Did the blood clear pretty quickly afterwards (ie within a few times of passing urine?)?
Quote Reply
Re: Any nephrologists or urologists here? [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhabdomyolysis?

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Any nephrologists or urologists here? [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
rhabdomyolysis?

Unlikely given what the OP has said, any decent ER doc would do a CK to rule that out and a urine test for it so probably just frank blood from trauma or a stone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
palmtrees wrote:
rhabdomyolysis?

Unlikely given what the OP has said, any decent ER doc would do a CK to rule that out and a urine test for it so probably just frank blood from trauma or a stone.

They did. Also had an ultrasound that showed 2 stones. For the record, this is the 5th time i have had stones, but they always happened when i was not running.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Amnesia wrote:
palmtrees wrote:
rhabdomyolysis?

They did. Also had an ultrasound that showed 2 stones. For the record, this is the 5th time i have had stones, but they always happened when i was not running.

Slightly personal question really....how much blood was there? Was it like you were peeing frank blood out (which makes bladder trauma more likely) or was it more slightly red stained urine?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if you've ever had the experience of passing a kidney stone but the only running you'll be doing is for the dilaudid IV drip. I would make sure you manage that issue COMPLETELY before you do anything else. Getting really dehydrated and then filling up with Gatorade and a few beers later on did it for me.

I can't begin to tell you how much pain those little fuckers caused me.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Any nephrologists or urologists here? [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
I don't know if you've ever had the experience of passing a kidney stone but the only running you'll be doing is for the dilaudid IV drip. I would make sure you manage that issue COMPLETELY before you do anything else. Getting really dehydrated and then filling up with Gatorade and a few beers later on did it for me.

I can't begin to tell you how much pain those little fuckers caused me.

This is my 5th time, i know how much they hurt, but when they aren't hurting, i want to be active.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Slightly personal question really....how much blood was there? Was it like you were peeing frank blood out (which makes bladder trauma more likely) or was it more slightly red stained urine?

Oh no, it was quite dark. Think tea colored. The labs say "large" amount of blood.

That, the oxalate crystals, and the ultrasound are what they used to diagnose. My history with them makes it unsurprising.

Rabdo and trauma seem unlikely since i have run many thousands of miles in the past 30 years and never had either. The only times i have had visible blood was when i had kidney stones. But in only 3 of the 5 times did that happen.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I can say is, I'm sorry. I had my first kidney stone several months ago. Worst pain I've ever experienced. One minute I'd feel like I was fine and ready to go for a run, and the next I'd be curled up in the fetal position in agonizing pain. Luckily mine was small enough (3mm) that it passed on its own after several days of torturing me. The thought of repeating that experience terrifies me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running friend a few years ago noticed blood in his pee. Went to see the Doctor and had cancer in one of his Kidneys. Which was quickly removed.

GO SEE A DOCTOR!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Any nephrologists or urologists here? [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
newManUK wrote:
Running friend a few years ago noticed blood in his pee. Went to see the Doctor and had cancer in one of his Kidneys. Which was quickly removed.

GO SEE A DOCTOR!!!

+1
Blood in urine is never normal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:

I'm always surprised by people who asks these kind of questions...….

No blood in your urine is normal. Blood in urine is not normal = bad= something's wrong = stop running until its fixed.

Keep running and risk real injury = longer healing time = longer no running time = maybe never run again.

You do the math.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 25 years of family practice I have never seen blood in the urine blamed on kidney stones that are still sitting up in the kidney and not causing any other problems. Well at least not after ruling out some other things. It is really good that you got a kidney ultrasound because that more or less rules out kidney cancer. Bladder cancer can also cause blood in the urine. If you saw me after this episode I would be sending you to a urologist and you would be getting a bladder scope just to make sure. Unless you are like 25 years old. After that it could be blamed on the long run or the stones.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Any nephrologists or urologists here? [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
newManUK wrote:
had cancer in one of his Kidneys. Which was quickly removed.

the cancer was removed or the kidney? damn.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I peed blood."

Stop there. That's a line I often hear - but there's a huge difference between urine that is pink lemonade, for example, and urine that is frank blood, maybe even with clots. Pink lemonade, cranberry juice, red-wine, or thick, clotty blood - those are the choices I usually give. From there, I move things higher or lower on the differential. Amnesia mentioned a long run causing "bladder trauma" - never ever seen that one, nor can I imagine the mechanism. Maybe he meant bladder TUMOR, which yes, presents with gross hematuria.

My advice would be obviously to visit your local urologist - a cystoscopy (camera in the bladder) and a CT scan could be in your future, if you want to rule out other causes of the hematuria and put the blame on the stones.

veganerd wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Any nephrologists or urologists here? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
In 25 years of family practice I have never seen blood in the urine blamed on kidney stones that are still sitting up in the kidney and not causing any other problems. Well at least not after ruling out some other things. It is really good that you got a kidney ultrasound because that more or less rules out kidney cancer. Bladder cancer can also cause blood in the urine. If you saw me after this episode I would be sending you to a urologist and you would be getting a bladder scope just to make sure. Unless you are like 25 years old. After that it could be blamed on the long run or the stones.
+1. Exactly this!

"Discipline is the highest of all virtues. Only so may strength and desire be counterbalanced and the endeavors of man bear fruit."
Nikos Kazantzakis, The Rock Garden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So this happened to me last year just a few weeks before IM Canada....started as pink lemonade and went to what looked like pure blood. I felt fine and kept training because i felt fine but went to see an urologist as soon as i could....he did a cystoscopy which was manageable but not much fun. In my case it seemed that i blood vessel associated with my fairly oversized prostate was the issue...the blood vessel was leaking or had raptured....think bloody nose....very bloody but not necessarily life threatening. Sounds like you figured it out but just in case this might be another thing to look into.....definitely have a doctor check it out....
Quote Reply
Re: Any nephrologists or urologists here? [WHY86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WHY86 wrote:
manageable but not much fun

How about terrifying to the point of full on panic. I took 2 lorazapam prior to and still couldn't go through with it. They had to reschedule and put me under. Thank God for drugs.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Any nephrologists or urologists here? [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have had blood in my urine on and off for basically the last 10 of years (however, I'm no longer active / racing athlete, also family history of bladder cancer). This year it went from "trace" to "small" in the lab report, so off to urologist and the camera up the urethra I went. I was so freaked out by concept of the cytoscopy, had to smoked weed the morning of my appt, and had my girlfriend drive me to the docs. Within 20 seconds they were like, your bladder looks great, no cancer, totally fine.

Turns out I just pee blood in small amounts. They don't know why, but starting to think auto-immune disease is the cause (among with a host of other symptoms). Just retested and no blood this time, yeah.
Last edited by: hbog12: Aug 25, 19 13:27
Quote Reply
Re: Any nephrologists or urologists here? [hbog12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a 6mm and 7mm stone in opposing kidneys that dropped at separate times. No more dark cola, spinach, or dairy. Doc said anything over 5mm I could name. Asked if I had an ex-wife. I named them after my supervisors. Blast them out with lasers. That shaky table shit didnt work and they're starting to think it may do further damage to your organ. Be careful with the pain meds too.

Be Uncommon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would definitely see a urologist. I had blood in my urine, thought it was related to heat. It was not. They did an X-ray, found nothing, said don’t worry about it. 2 years later I am in ER with stage 3 kidney cancer. Please see a urologist, I did not (only a GP).
Quote Reply