Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Any major hassles with owning a Felt IA? About to buy an IA 10-will be using Tririg brakes and Alpha X
Quote | Reply
So I'm buying a new bike and I'm leaning towards a Felt IA 10 (non-integrated bars/brakes). Im coming from a Shiv which was super hassle-free to work on/travel with. Will be using my Alpha X bar and front/rear Omega X brakes on the IA. Any annoying things I need to know about an IA (poor rear tire clearance, etc.).
Quote Reply
Re: Any major hassles with owning a Felt IA? About to buy an IA 10-will be using Tririg brakes and Alpha X [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, your bike will be perfect. I was going to complain about the stem and rear brakes, but you will be fixing those. The only really annoying thing is the horizontal rear droupouts. But, that is not unique to the IA.

I am running 23mm tires front & 25mm rear on HED Jet Black 9/disc wheels. Those are about as wide as rims & tires get. No clearance issues at all. I had 25mm in front, so those clear their easily.

I have an IA16 that I absolutely love. I put Alpha X and Omega X front & ear on mine too.
Quote Reply
Re: Any major hassles with owning a Felt IA? About to buy an IA 10-will be using Tririg brakes and Alpha X [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent. I ride jet black disc/9 myself and wondered about the wide fairing on the disc.
Quote Reply
Re: Any major hassles with owning a Felt IA? About to buy an IA 10-will be using Tririg brakes and Alpha X [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
Excellent. I ride jet black disc/9 myself and wondered about the wide fairing on the disc.
Perfect fit... as if they were born for one another.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone that I know with that bike has had issues. It spends more time in the shop than at home with owners. Especially with that front end combo...

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IA 14 here, no complaints. The older style bento box cover sucked, and the v2 basebar clamp had issues, but if you're buying a current one // Alpha X, those are both fixed.

EDIT: Oh, get rid of the bullhorn rubber grips and just tape them if you don't use the Alpha X right away. Mine slide and twist all over. No biggie.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Last edited by: justinhorne: Jul 9, 18 9:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size? The TriRig front brake is basically incompatible with the the 48 and might be tight wiht the 51.
Quote Reply
Re: Any major hassles with owning a Felt IA? About to buy an IA 10-will be using Tririg brakes and Alpha X [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Any major hassles with owning a Felt IA? About to buy an IA 10-will be using Tririg brakes and Alpha X [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I have my Shiv completely built with Tririg parts and Iā€™ve been riding it for 2 years. Last Saturday my rear derailleur hanger somehow came loose while I was climbing and my RD cage shifted right into my spokes. The RD and hanger were basically ripped from the frame rendering the RD hanger attachment point in the frame dropout unable to accept a new hanger. I bought it used so thereā€™s no warranty involved. So I have to buy a new frame. Could just get another shiv but thinking of trying something else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
So I have my Shiv completely built with Tririg parts and Iā€™ve been riding it for 2 years. Last Saturday my rear derailleur hanger somehow came loose while I was climbing and my RD cage shifted right into my spokes. The RD and hanger were basically ripped from the frame rendering the RD hanger attachment point in the frame dropout unable to accept a new hanger. I bought it used so thereā€™s no warranty involved. So I have to buy a new frame. Could just get another shiv but thinking of trying something else.
Well, there's a frame that was born for those parts ...

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Any major hassles with owning a Felt IA? About to buy an IA 10-will be using Tririg brakes and Alpha X [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gorgeous bike there. However, I would have fired whoever mounted the centerpull brake and left that much slack in the cable housing.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Any major hassles with owning a Felt IA? About to buy an IA 10-will be using Tririg brakes and Alpha X [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, my mechanic is a total dumbass

But seriously, that slack is on my eventual to-do to fix. Part of the problem is that the nose of the IA interferes with the Alpha X cable exit. I need to knock off another 1cm or so to get more of a vertical run to the brake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry if I sounded harsh-I realized it after I hit reply. Anyway, beautiful bike.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Any major hassles with owning a Felt IA? About to buy an IA 10-will be using Tririg brakes and Alpha X [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not at all. You saw the exact same thing I saw after getting it all together. My other purpose in that cable length was to have enough to remove the stem without disconnecting the brake. Later, I discovered how easy it is to remove the little Omega X cantilever triangle without disconnecting the cable. So, that totally obviated my cable slack need.

And, I do not like the way it looks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it were me (owner of IA10 2015) I would get a Canyon or Argon-18 seriously the v2 clamp was a problem, the calpac v1 was a disaster, that bottom bracket brake....I have sworn never to buy another bottom bracket aero brake again,,,its a PITA....I literally hate it....its always dirty no matter what I do or my mechanic does. I have a few friends who have the Canyon and they are so happy....I am always like ...hmmmm is that brake dirty again ...its sounds funny.....heres my bike

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Any major hassles with owning a Felt IA? About to buy an IA 10-will be using Tririg brakes and Alpha X [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you say ā€œbottom bracketā€ brake do you mean the stock integrated brakes? Cuz Iā€™m not using those. Been using Tririg brakes for several years without issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the vision aero front brake and the stock rear brake.....

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Biggest issue we've had with an IA16: Check that you're OK with the saddle setback, because you only get one seatpost option. For my partner, on an Adamo, she couldn't get enough setback. The saddle clamp absolutely sucks - the aluminium is as soft as butter, strips way before the maximum torque when assembled according to instructions. Two very very good mechanics have failed to adjust it without stripping.

If you're swapping out the bars and brakes, and getting the V2 CalPak, then you should basically have the perfect bike. I sometimes wish I had a tricked-out IAx.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that a BB30 crank on your bike? I have a GXP quarq and am planning on just using wheels manufacturing BB30 adapters
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks REALLY nice!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is a SRAM Red BB30 crankset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:
Everyone that I know with that bike has had issues. It spends more time in the shop than at home with owners. Especially with that front end combo...

Everyone you know?

I'm still not a huge fan of the cal pac or draft box, but zero issues with mine, and I don't run the TriRig bars.

TH3_FRB wrote:
What size? The TriRig front brake is basically incompatible with the the 48 and might be tight wiht the 51.

Omega X works fine on both front and back with 51.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Any major hassles with owning a Felt IA? About to buy an IA 10-will be using Tririg brakes and Alpha X [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Third year with an IA16, Zipp aerobar, tririg front brake. Only problem I've had was with the cable going through the stem. It got all chewed up and crimped. I ran it outside and never had the problem again. Seemed like the only reason to run it through the stem was to say it went through the stem.

New Calpac is a huge improvement and the draft box while not the best looking, holds a lot more than the QR box did.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! šŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had my IA14 for about 2.5 years.

I'd echo some of the other comments.
The original Calpac was a pain. The newer one seems much better but I haven't bought one yet.
A number of people seem to have issues with the seatpost clamp - I like the function but it does seem too close for comfort between torque spec and the point where damage is caused to threads.
The stock stem is designed to house the rear brake cable but doesn't do so very comfortably - however it does work fine for me and it looks pretty good.

I've had no problems with brakes.
Horizontal dropouts allow adjustment of tyre clearance to seat tube and work fine.
Plenty tyre clearance for me with 25mm GP4000SII and Swiss Side Hadron wheels front and back.
It's easy enough to pack and maintain.

So, I don't have much to complain about except the old calpac which isn't an issue for 2018 bikes and the fact I'm a bit nervous about adjusting the saddle clamp although it's been okay so far.

If I was buying now, I'd probably consider a Canyon instead. Mostly because it's lighter, I prefer the spec and integrated nutrition setup, and I've found Canyon good to deal with (my road bike of 4 years is a Canyon)
Quote Reply
Re: Any major hassles with owning a Felt IA? About to buy an IA 10-will be using Tririg brakes and Alpha X [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:
I'd love to hear some more details.
What problems specifically have they been having?

All known problems I'm aware of are already mentioned in this thread and are mostly not a big deal.

More time in the shop than at home? Seriously or a bit of exaggeration? I don't believe you either way.
Which front end combo? The cockpit? There's not much wrong with the Bayonet 3 aside from the reported issue with the V2 clamps. And the OP is using his existing cockpit anyway. The Vision brake is perfectly fine, but again the OP is planning to use his existing Tririg parts.
I've had my IA14 for about 2.5 years and have had it in the LBS once, for a few hours, just a few weeks ago, for a BB replacement. That's it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next