Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Any good canned training plans?
Quote | Reply
Looking for premade training plans for first 70.3 next year. I have Joe Friel's Training Bible, and I'm using it to plan out an Annual Training Plan. But looking for any canned Tri plans out there similar to what Marathon books, like Pfitz, Daniels, etc. have.

I've done two Olympic distance Triathlons. For those I was still mostly running, and just threw in some cycling and swimming leading up to the race.

I'll still probably modify any plan I find to suit my schedule and goals, but would like to start with something established to use as a template.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Any good canned training plans? [MattRnr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO the ultimate canned plans book

https://www.amazon.com/...aining/dp/0446696765
Quote Reply
Re: Any good canned training plans? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

That book's format sucks so badly it's nearly useless unless you want to spend your entire life decoding the 100+ abbreviations he uses to summarize each workout. Seriously, it's ridiculous - run like the wind.
Quote Reply
Re: Any good canned training plans? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
jaretj wrote:

That book's format sucks so badly it's nearly useless unless you want to spend your entire life decoding the 100+ abbreviations he uses to summarize each workout. Seriously, it's ridiculous - run like the wind.

There's a number of books I've seen that do similar things. It's soooo annoying, since they all have their own terminology and abbreviations.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Any good canned training plans? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using Matt Dixon's plan in the back of "Fast Track Triathlete"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used one of the plans from TR, you can at least drag and drop sessions based on your schedule. $100 - I think it was worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you using trainerroad? I've just scheduled in one of their triathlon base plans starting Jan 1 (supposedly I'm doing sweet spot base right now, if I ever get healthy)

They look pretty good, although the swim stuff wasn't really written by a swim coach. Too light in volume, IMO.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt Fitzgerald has lots of plans of TrainingPeaks $75 for 70.3

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...gerald#trainingplans

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This plan isn't bad as a starting point: https://www.triathlete.com/...-training-plan_12364
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had really good experiences using the Training Zone plans. I've tried their Olympic and 70.3 plans and both seem to be really good.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/...ur_Best_Ever_703.pdf

Nourish - Sports Nutrition Made Easy
Last edited by: TrainHrdRaceEz: Dec 4, 18 6:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Just for that you're not allowed to use my vlookup when I get it finished :P

Nah, just kidding :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pretty good list of plans I have created over time in Training Peaks.
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans

You can also use code STPst to get the below plan for free to check out the flavor of my workouts.
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...se-16-weeks-beginner

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Are you using trainerroad? I've just scheduled in one of their triathlon base plans starting Jan 1 (supposedly I'm doing sweet spot base right now, if I ever get healthy)

They look pretty good, although the swim stuff wasn't really written by a swim coach. Too light in volume, IMO.

I'm also doing the TR plan - for me, it's the Oly base right now, which is helpful for me to not blow myself up over the winter mentally by training too hard which I tend to do if I'm left on my own.

You def have to tailor the run/bike workouts to your ability. For me, both the bike and the swim is (a lot) less than what I'd typically do even for an Oly, but I like using as a guideline to what I should be doing at a minimum for run/swim.

But the nice part is that you can see or use ALL the plans on TR once you subscribe to their very reasonable rate per month. So you can check out anything from high volume IM plans all the way down to beginner friendly low-volume sprint plans, as well as pure cycling plans and recreational plans. I also like the general 'base'-'build'-'specific' blocks they put in, makes it much easier to plan/organize.

Really good stuff and worth checking out - the plans seem legit at all distances even if you have to modify the run/bikes a little (or a lot if you're a stud swimmer like Jason!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I'm also doing the TR plan - for me, it's the Oly base right now, which is helpful for me to not blow myself up over the winter mentally by training too hard which I tend to do if I'm left on my own.

You def have to tailor the run/bike workouts to your ability. For me, both the bike and the swim is (a lot) less than what I'd typically do even for an Oly, but I like using as a guideline to what I should be doing at a minimum for run/swim.

But the nice part is that you can see or use ALL the plans on TR once you subscribe to their very reasonable rate per month. So you can check out anything from high volume IM plans all the way down to beginner friendly low-volume sprint plans, as well as pure cycling plans and recreational plans. I also like the general 'base'-'build'-'specific' blocks they put in, makes it much easier to plan/organize.

Really good stuff and worth checking out - the plans seem legit at all distances even if you have to modify the run/bikes a little (or a lot if you're a stud swimmer like Jason!)

I'm not a very good swimmer these days. I haven't been in since September.

Which version of the Oly Base are you doing? For myself, I'm doing a low volume sweet spot base (plus a couple of runs and strength work thrown in there). The intent is those are supposed to be my "key session" training per week, and then I have the option of putting in some low intensity rides or runs on top of that. (of course, that got derailed by sickness, but that's life with toddlers). In January, I'll switch to the low-volume HIM base plan, and pretty much stick with the low volume base, build and specialty plans as my basis going forward, tacking on outdoor rides as I'm able to and weather permits.

Given that my A race will be an Xterra, I'm leaning towards the HIM plans and adding in / substituting some workouts from one of the MTB plans when the time comes for the specialty phase in the last 8 weeks or so before the race.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to use the Be Iron Fit book by Don fink. many people recommend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm on mid-vol Oly base right now, but if I were doing HIM, I would do the low-volume one, as the volume is pretty similar between those two due to the different race distances.

I did the sweet spot base at the end of last season and despite my lack of race-specific bike training, it worked totally fine for me; rode my target Oly at near-best times.

I've actually trained a lot harder and more volume on the bike in the past, but I think I overtrained before and as well most of that training wasn't super structured ,and I think it ended up translating well to HIM bike splits but didn't improve my Oly bike split as much owing to not as much top end VO2. Hoping that this time around with race-specific that I'll see a good bump in Oly bike splits for myself.

On a related note, all the local Y pools in my area closed for the whole month of Dec, so I'm on my vasa for all the swim workouts. Right now I'm doing the TR swim workouts as written, which is less than I normally do but there's enough quality in there so I feel it's still doing me good. It's also inline with me not burning out my swim training prior to race season. I actually improve a little more when I'm doing more Vasa than pool, mainly since my pool swimming can suck so badly due to shared lane crowding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here’s an option that is part personalized workouts and part canned workouts. Created from individual triathlete’s times incorporated into pre-planned workouts to train towards achieving specific race goals based on potential capabilities and targeted race distances.
https://www.palmtreesahead.com/coconut-workout-guide
Developed during years of triathlon training and racing experience from beginners to intermediate to multiple AG US & World podium winners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard Matt Dixon is going to release an "new" highly affordable option in January, which I think will be something like canned training plans with a few options tailored to race distance and available training time. I'd keep and eye out. I've had great success with his methodology.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you trying to just finish? Then loads of free training plans on the web that will get you to the finish line.

If you’re competing for worlds or AG podium, I can’t help you with a plan since I don’t know which is best.

I myself do the bike plans on the TR and follow BarryP run and try to get 10-12k quality swim in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's like asking what's your favorite frozen dinner? Just kidding

Huddle and Roch Frey had some fun but effective programs based on time you had per week
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, what volume do you guys normally do for Olympic distance training? I'm also following the TR Oly plan (base, high volume) and find it's plenty of swimming. It's about 10k per week. I come from a running background and I'm definitely not a swimmer, so I guess that's why I don't find it too light in volume. I love the TR plans.
Quote Reply
Re: Any good canned training plans? [Changpao] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Changpao wrote:
lightheir wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Quote:

Just out of curiosity, what volume do you guys normally do for Olympic distance training? I'm also following the TR Oly plan (base, high volume) and find it's plenty of swimming. It's about 10k per week. I come from a running background and I'm definitely not a swimmer, so I guess that's why I don't find it too light in volume. I love the TR plans.

I’d consider 10k per week to be low - middle volume, even for a triathlete. High volume should be North of 12k (4x per week at 3000 per session)

The low vol plans have you doing something like 1500m for an entire workout (and have a day which is steady continuous swim, which is less than ideal for getting faster)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had good luck with canned plans:

Used this one for my first 12 Ironman races (4 per year): http://www.gctri.org/...n-Training-Plan1.pdf

I was 220 lbs and finished my first race in 12:45 and worked my way down to 10:30 at 205 lbs doing that plan for each race.

Then I switched to TrainerRoad in January and followed the plan religiously including the swim and run workouts. 9:45 PR this November after just 10 months of using that plan so I will use it for next year too because I'm still getting noticeably faster each month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainerroad hands down is the best value for what you get. They do all the work for you, but if you want to put a little extra effort into planning you can easily change it up. I like to use their plan as a foundation to start and then tweak it based on my needs. And just b/c it's an indoor platform doesn't mean you can't do some of them outside; just take the concept and do your best to mimic it if you're headed out on the road.

The swims are a bit light so certainly tweak that, but still way better than buying a book or a canned plan that you have trouble deciphering.

All the best!
Quote Reply
Re: Any good canned training plans? [BabaBooey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BabaBooey wrote:
I'm going to use the Be Iron Fit book by Don fink. many people recommend

X2 on Iron Fit. I've used it for 3 Ironmans. It's a super simple book, with simple training plans for Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. Best 11 bucks you'll ever spend. Promise. I've bought other tri books and they're confusing and don't offer a training plan.

https://www.amazon.com/Be-IronFit-Time-Efficient-Training-Ultimate/dp/1493017829/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544024686&sr=8-1&keywords=be+iron+fit+don+fink
Quote Reply

Prev Next