Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any former Asics Kayano runners?
Quote | Reply
I was a hardcore loyalist to this brand and model. I always had a stockpile of extras waiting to go. Recently, I expired my back stock of 21s and started using last year's 22.

What the hell were they thinking? They dramatically shrunk the size and flattened the curvature of the toe box. Why do companies feel the need to innovate when they have something that already works? Urrrggh!!!!

How many others have experienced this? Did you go up 0.5 size? Did you switch model/brand? I am late to the situation given my backlog of old shoes. Unfortunately, nobody is selling older models on eBay, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Any former Asics Kayano runners? [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It appears the 23 solves this issue, based on overall look. Reminds me a lot of the 15 (now I'm just dating myself).

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I starting running in the Kayanos in 2004. After I went through my last pair of 21's, I switched shoes completely. Ended up going to a neutral shoe, so this may not help.

Went to Asics Gel Quantum. Then to Brooks Pureflow 5. Now I've settled on ON Cloud.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not your Kayanos, but I tried on a pair of GT2000s over the weekend and found I needed a full size larger (from 12 to 13) over the previous series. And the fit still didn't seem as nice as the old. I don't know why they did that. Oh well, I'm bringing in more pairs of Nike shoes now into the rotation and transitioning away from Asics, I guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stopped using them for this exact reason......I'm on the hunt for a new brand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you bother to try on the 22's before buying?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in the same boat... I went with the 22's but went up 1/2 a size. I haven't run in them yet though (other than outside the store for a quick test run), as I still have a little mileage left in the 21's, but I was also pretty mad/frustrated that they changed the model so much. It sounds like the 23 is better, but since I spent so much on the 22's, I guess I will give them a shot and hopefully they work. Just wanted to let you know you aren't the only one irritated about the changes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started noticing this with the 21s, when I got a blister on the ball of my foot from the arch. GT2000 also got tigher. Went up 0.5 size on the 22s and fits perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Any former Asics Kayano runners? [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
updated kayanos a no-go here too, switched to brooks adrenaline. nice toe box, cushy yet stable, so far so good but its early.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been wearing kayanos for 10+ yrs. I do not like the new version, whatever it is.

I have been scouring ebay and scooping up every pair of the versions 19, 20, 21 that I can find. Which aren't many.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I gave up on Kayano's for the same reason years ago. I switched to Mizuno and have not regretted it. Their changes seem to be minimal, mostly colors/graphics.

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kayano was my go to shoe.

Then, after a lot of reading online and people praising the Nike Odyssey, I figured I would give it a try.

No looking back for me. Nike Odyssey 2 is a great shoe and I don't have any leg pain or muscle pulls I have often had before
Quote Reply
Re: Any former Asics Kayano runners? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regrettably, I did not try on the 22s before buying a pair. I bought a couple pair during the last days of Sports Authority, so no returns possible. I guess I could sell them on eBay.

They do seem to get a little better with multiple wearings. I'm headed to the Boston Marathon expo this weekend, so that will be a good opportunity to try a couple models recommended here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon... must be Comanche indian
Quote Reply
Re: Any former Asics Kayano runners? [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. It was that or Mr. Underhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just exhausted my Kayano 21 supply and ordered the 22. I could get by with the shrinking 21 toe box, but the 22 is a no-go due to the toe squeeze and my big toe actually touching the end. Has anyone actually worn the 23 or 24? I'm wondering if the toe box is at least back to the width of the 21.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I abandoned them at Kayano 11 (the 9 was still my favourite ever shoe) because for me at the time, the price was getting ridiculous. I'm still getting through a pair of Nimbus 17 right now, and they are the slowest, heaviest feeling shoe I have ever had. I am never sore, but I put my Newtons back on (obviously a totally different type of shoe) and I'm cruising 20sec/km faster with no effort whatsoever. I'd be keen to hear any recent Kayano/Nimbus comparison comments...Newton's newer models aren't that easy to come by in NZ (Fate has been my go to with Gravity IV on the side).

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Any former Asics Kayano runners? [mongooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m looking at the Kayano 25 online. Their description claims they widened the toe box and made it taller after shrinking it in the problematic 22-24. Can anyone confirm this?
Quote Reply
Re: Any former Asics Kayano runners? [sbrrepeat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They seemed to but I just sold mine after two or three runs due to weight - they felt like bricks after my Newtons.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the 24s (2018), 25s(2019). They just released the 26s, so the 25s, which look pretty nice, imo, will be going on sale soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Any former Asics Kayano runners? [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are the 25s similar to the 24s? I enjoyed a pair of 24s and went looking recently for a new pair, tough to find in stock.
Quote Reply
Re: Any former Asics Kayano runners? [chrisrpdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have just gone back to asics kayano to see if it helps with foot issue

maybe clutchnig at straws but never really had issues with kayano it was just the silly price they have gone too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran in Kayano's for 15+ years. A couple of years ago I tried a pair of Hoka Cavu's and never looked back. I know they're apples to oranges but I instantly fell in love with the Cavu's and they just work for me. The last several generations of Kayano's felt to me like they'd just lost the secret sauce that I had originally chosen that shoe for.
Quote Reply
Re: Any former Asics Kayano runners? [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
I ran in Kayano's for 15+ years. A couple of years ago I tried a pair of Hoka Cavu's and never looked back. I know they're apples to oranges but I instantly fell in love with the Cavu's and they just work for me. The last several generations of Kayano's felt to me like they'd just lost the secret sauce that I had originally chosen that shoe for.

I tried Kayano's once before becoming a GT loyalist for years before moving to Hoka Clifton. I tried the Cavu but didn't love them so they became my gym/walking around shoes. I'm ready to move on from Clifton. I don't care for the new edition.
Quote Reply