Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any downside to MIPS?
Quote | Reply
Title says it all. The purported upside is fairly clear. Anyone have any complaints? It's time for a new road helmet, best I can tell, no good reason not to get one with MIPS other than the increased cost, which doesn't seem that high
Quote Reply
Re: Any downside to MIPS? [jsoderman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No “downside” other than the cost. I know I’ve heard many times how much more protection they have. But take into account just a couple years ago regular helmets were fine. I picked up a Giro Synth for $60 just last week. Non-MIPS. So just take a look around.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is so much more airflow across the top of my head that it gets really cold on winter rides. I have to either tape up the vent holes or wear my old helmet.

So ya other than price and a couple of stupid issues like mine I can't think of why you wouldn't go that way. I really like my new Vanquish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MIPS can block some vents if poorly designed.
Costs more.
It adds some nominal weight.
One more component that can break.

The last two are really minor; the first one is much better in newer designs.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Any downside to MIPS? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
won't the helmet be slightly larger? might matter for aero-ness.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate MIPS. The helmet sits up higher on my head and grabs/pulls on my beautiful locks.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MIPS is great, it gives me much more confidence on the bike since i know that it helps reduce possible neck injury and concussions.
The downside is that on my Giro Aerohead, because it is such a heavy helmet compared to most equipped with MIPS, it rattles a little when you hit a bump.
Quote Reply
Re: Any downside to MIPS? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The extra helmet weight is more than offset by the reduced weight in your wallet.

Quote Reply
Re: Any downside to MIPS? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only other thing I have heard is that MIPS can move on really bumpy roads. This shake can be annoying, but also if there is an integrated visor there can be a bit of distortion.

Personally I think that is a minor cost for a much safer system.

Also, a weee while ago before decent adjustability all helmets did this.

Kent
Quote Reply
Re: Any downside to MIPS? [Charleslo_99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Charleslo_99 wrote:
MIPS is great, it gives me much more confidence on the bike since i know that it helps reduce possible neck injury
and concussions.
The downside is that on my Giro Aerohead, because it is such a heavy helmet compared to most equipped with MIPS, it rattles a little when you hit a bump.

Is it claimed to reduce risk of concussion? You may be right but that would be a surprise to me.

MIPS does nothing to reduce linear acceleration which as I understand it, is the driver behind concussions. It's designed to allow rotation of the harness within the shell. Surely this offers protection from injuries caused by shear between the brain and skull such as haemorrhaging?

One criticism of helmets generally (not MIPS in particular) is that while they are designed to reduce acceleration via the foam, that is bulky and increases effective head diameter. This potentially increases the torque exerted, and thus the risk to your head or neck in a crash. As I understand it, this is what MIPS is intended to mitigate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Downsides: (1) added weight, (2) pulls hair, (3) makes the frontal area of the helmet larger (less aero), (4) helmet moves around.

But what about the upside? We've all heard the marketing departments' safety angle. But it should be noted that no peer reviewed scientific study has ever shown a safety benefit from MIPS. I'm not saying there's not a benefit. There might be. But no legitimate non-marketing department study has ever shown one.

I changed road helmet brands to get away from MIPS.
Quote Reply