Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any difference in cleat positioning for road vs. tri?
Quote | Reply
I’m just finishing up my first tri bike build, and I’m wondering whether I can keep the same cleat/pedal position and reuse road shoes until I get a pair of tri biking shoes. I remember that a bike fitter had once informed me that my cleats would have to move for a better fit for a tri bike, but I’m not sure whether that was for specifically for the tri bike or a general recommendation for both categories.
Do you have different shoes for road vs tri bikes? Are the cleats in the same position on both?
Quote Reply
Re: Any difference in cleat positioning for road vs. tri? [conky2313] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There seems to be a growing argument for mid foot clear placement to help you run better off the bike. I would recommend sliding your cleat back on your shoe. Ride it the same for both bikes. You may need to make a very slight saddle adjustment depending on if you point your toes through the bottom of the pedal stroke.

I have started to read about some cyclists moving more toward mid foot clear placement as well.

YMMV.
Quote Reply
Re: Any difference in cleat positioning for road vs. tri? [conky2313] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most folks use the same for both.

As mentioned, some folks have been using a further back (aka "midfoot") position. This is more popular in Tri/TT than road riding, since it's harder to sprint with a midfoot cleat than a ball-of-foot one (which is a bigger issue in road racing).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do wonder why the bike fitter wanted to move your cleats forward for a tri fit, as it's been said above usually it's either the same, or moved back for triathlon, saving the calves for the run.

I have separate shoes for triathlon and road bike, but use the exact same cleat setups, I haven't found cleat placement to be a limiting factor, and have gotten super comfortable with where mine are after years of riding.

Only reason I have separate shoes for in a triathlon is to get it on and off quickly, but will train in my road setup shoes most of the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Any difference in cleat positioning for road vs. tri? [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a long time fitter, while the bike geometries are slightly different, the biomechanics of pedaling are essentially the same. Unless the person has some sort of physical issue, road or Tri, as close to mid foot as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also prefer more midfoot position. There used to be a Speedplay kit to move the cleats more rearward. Unfortunately this kit has been discontinued. Anybody knows why?
Sam
Quote Reply