Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any current shoes similar to the original Brooks PureCadence?
Quote | Reply
The original Brooks PureCadence are still the best shoes I've ever run in. They had the perfect amount of stability (just a hint), they fit perfect (medium through heel and arch, roomier toebox), the cushioning worked for me (soft), and they were low drop (4mm). Does such a shoe exist today? The current PureCadence is nowhere near as good as the original, IMO.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Any current shoes similar to the original Brooks PureCadence? [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am of no help but I would love to know the answer to your question. The first few renditions of the Brooks Pure line (especially the Flows but I also ran in the cadence) were my absolute favorite shoes. Nothing has come close in my eyes.
Quote Reply
Re: Any current shoes similar to the original Brooks PureCadence? [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
instigator wrote:
I am of no help but I would love to know the answer to your question. The first few renditions of the Brooks Pure line (especially the Flows but I also ran in the cadence) were my absolute favorite shoes. Nothing has come close in my eyes.

Agreed. Have never found anything close.
Quote Reply
Re: Any current shoes similar to the original Brooks PureCadence? [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd take a look at the New Balance Vongo. 4mm drop. Toebox maybe not as wide as the original PC but a similar underfoot feel and similar mild stability. It's more of a "everyday trainer" than the purecadence line, so slightly heavier but that's the closest I can think of off the top of my head and I like both shoes.

I ran in the original PC way back when and also liked the Saucony Mirage 3, which is not made any more.
Last edited by: stevendex: Jan 22, 19 15:47
Quote Reply
Re: Any current shoes similar to the original Brooks PureCadence? [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have spent many hours researching the same question.

Best answer I came up with is the New Balance Vongo. Check them out. A little bit bulkier than the Pure Cadence IMO, but they offer 4mm drop, moderate stability, and good cushioning. Can't really comment on toe box roominess as it's not been a problem for me, but worth trying I think.

The only other shoe in my rotation is the Adidas Adizero Tempo which is a bit closer to the Pure line in terms of minimalism, but too much drop for me to love them (10mm from memory?). Even the boost version seems to lack cushioning to me, but maybe it has just worn quicker.

Vongo is my current go to shoe, and I like the extra midsole as I'm going long again and ramping up the miles.

Cheers,
Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: Any current shoes similar to the original Brooks PureCadence? [stevendex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevendex wrote:
I'd take a look at the New Balance Vongo. 4mm drop. Toebox maybe not as wide as the original PC but a similar underfoot feel and similar mild stability. It's more of a "everyday trainer" than the purecadence line, so slightly heavier but that's the closest I can think of off the top of my head and I like both shoes.

I ran in the original PC way back when and also liked the Saucony Mirage 3, which is not made any more.

At least I'm not alone...

It looks like they're up to V3 of the Vongo. Which model(s) do you have experience with? Which would be closest to the original PureCadence?

Thanks.

Steve

Quote Reply
Re: Any current shoes similar to the original Brooks PureCadence? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See above question regarding Vongo version to pursue.

Thanks.

Steve

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't promise a similar experience, was recommending you check out the Vongo based on the specifications.. 4mm drop, bit of support, decent cushioning. Honestly there aren't many shoes that tick even these three boxes, let alone similar fit and feel. You may find the shoe a bit more snug.

For reference though, my Pure Cadence are version 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only run in the Vongo 3. I like it a lot. I also liked the original pure cadence and the purecadence 2. I hated the PC3 and haven't tried any other iterations. My race day shoe is the NB 1500, which I absolutely love and have raced several marathons in it. Thankfully it hasn't changed much from v2 to v4.

OOh, another one to consider is the Asics super J33. I have the original super J33 and the J33 2. 6mm drop. Natural feel. I think they're both discontinued but the super J33 is closer to the original PC than the Vongo. It's more of a race day/tempo workout shoe and not very durable, especially the upper, but you can probably get a pair cheap if you can find them. I raced a marathon in the super J33. Don't wear them sockless. Don't wear them with wet feet either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll go ahead and revive this thread.

Pure Cadence got discontinued and I got about a month before I will have to retire my last pair. I have tried PureFlow, and like them for track-style workouts, but will not be making them my everyday running shoe.

Tried to find NewBalance Vongos , but even on Black Friday they are $140/pair which is steep compared to $80-$100 that I am used to spending on my everyday shoes.

I know that pure cadence used to be very popular, so I’m sure that there are lots of others who had to switch to another shoe. What are you all running in these days?
Quote Reply
Re: Any current shoes similar to the original Brooks PureCadence? [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried Topo shoes?

I went from Brooks PureFlow to Topo ST2 as my everyday shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: Any current shoes similar to the original Brooks PureCadence? [Anton84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joes New Balance outlet has the Vongo V3 for $60. The V3 is probably better than the V4, my impressions are that the V3/V4 are both roomy in toebox.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran in all iterations of the Pure Cadence model (agreed: the 1st model was the best model). This year I tried out the Saucony Kinvara. I didn't like them when they first came out, because the heel was floppy like the Nike Fly series, but then I saw that Kinvara was now categorised as support so I gave it a shot. They felt really good, and comparable to the Pure Cadence series.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the Saucony Liberty. It’s the slightly supportive version of the Freedom, which I found to be close to feeling like an old PureFlow (the neutral version of the Cadence).

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I miss the hell outta my Pure Cadence. I forget exactly when they went to complete hell - 4? 5? - but I've spent years now trying to find another shoe that didn't hurt my feet.

I've long given up trying to find a replacement, but I have found something that works damn well - high arch support, decent support, and they're lasting quite well: Altra Paradigm 4.5. I'm on my second pair, have run several halfs in them, and have nothing but love for 'em!

Good luck! Let us know what you find, as well!
- Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran in the pure cadence for several years as well. I tried a handful of other shoes since they were discontinued and landed on Hoka Cilfton 6 oddly enough... I put in lower profile insoles in them and they feel relatively close to the pure cadence.

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Any current shoes similar to the original Brooks PureCadence? [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
from my wife:

I'd like to thank you all for making comments re. a running shoe that is similar to the discontinued Brooks PureCadence. I researched all your suggestions and eventually narrowed them down to two options for me: Topo FliLyte and Altra Escalante. (criteria were: big toe box, low drop, mid-to-forefoot striker, natural foot position with a little bit of stability, no exaggerated cushioning).

Out of curiosity, I chose the Topo shoes and they seem to work for me. As of now, I have used the shoes for 8 consecutive weeks of solid running (including long runs between 30 and 40k and tempo runs between 40 and 60 min) without encountering any problems.
Caveat: the FliLyte provides a bit less stability than the PureCadence did. Runners who are looking for that slightly higher level of stability may consider another model or brand.

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply