Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Any advice for how to approach an acquaintance about likely overtraining
Quote | Reply
I’m worried about a triathlete who I know casually from my training group who has for the last few years been doing three IMs, multiple
HIMs and 5-6 marathons a year, with very little or no time off between some long races and minimal time allowed for recovery. She’s probably in her early 50s and has been sick and/or injured for most all of this year but still not taking a break. Every time I hear she’s sick or injured I text her and try to subtly suggest she take some time off. I just saw a social media post from her saying she had a fever and chills and is sick again, and she’s probably been sick for at least half of this year. I just sent a text suggesting that she get some good rest this weekend to help her recovery and she responded by telling me she needs to train this weekend. Her race times are slower then ever because of injury and I’m worried she could be doing serious damage to her body. Any suggestions for how to approach helping her? I feel like things are at a point where some sort of intervention is warranted but I’m not super close with her; however I do think she may be more likely to listen to me then to people she’s close with because of my extensive IM history (16 IMs in 15 years). Unfortunately I don’t know anyone who she is close to and don’t want to overstep my bounds or push to the point where she feels threatened and won’t listen.
If anyone else has been through this I’d love to hear advice on what to do or not to do. Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Any advice for how to approach an acquaintance about likely overtraining [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Any advice for how to approach an acquaintance about likely overtraining [Iron Dukie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a hard one but ultimately not your problem. Drop some hints and leave it at that, eventually she'll get sick enough that she's forced to rest.

I'd guess a lot of us have battled with ourselves on whether we should be training or recovering from illness, injury or just a heavy training load.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is she hot?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would drop the subtlety at this point. If you have been hinting to her for the past year and she is blind to whats going on just drop the bomb. We all have some obsessive quality take over at some point in our lives and become blinded to it and there is nothing I hate more than seeing someone being self destructive yet oblivious to what they are doing.

Give her some concrete proof, put her race times in front of her or just get a group at your next club run that agrees and surround the bitch haha. I am kidding using that term but its funny either way (:

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Any advice for how to approach an acquaintance about likely overtraining [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about
"the average self-coached athlete has an idiot for a client"
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Any advice for how to approach an acquaintance about likely overtraining [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Is she hot?

I second this and I also think you should sit back and just let nature takes its course...see how bad it gets before it completely blows up. It is like watching the animal planet when the gazelle with a broken leg tries to escape the lion - it escapes a few times, struggles, is completely spent - and then BAM lion comes in and just fooks it up!

Life is the lion and she is the gazelle...keep us posted. Make a Steve Irwin theme narrator episode thread weekly. Id die.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if we know the same person because i know a women that fits that exact profile to a "T"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Deep down she already knows this. You can tell her she’s overtraining and needs some rest. I doubt she’ll listen no matter how many IMs you’ve done. All you can do is voice your concern and move on. Ultimately it’s her decision to make.
Quote Reply
Re: Any advice for how to approach an acquaintance about likely overtraining [4Ring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4Ring wrote:
I wonder if we know the same person because i know a women that fits that exact profile to a "T"

Maybe. I see in your profile that your bike shop is in my neck of the woods. I’ll PM you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suggest she listen to a great podcast you found about IM and endurance training. Sell it as a great training reference and nothing more.

It's littered with war stories of over trainers and disasters like that.

https://purplepatchfitness.com/...h-podcast-matt-dixon

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Any advice for how to approach an acquaintance about likely overtraining [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Any advice for how to approach an acquaintance about likely overtraining [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! This is a great idea!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm more than a little disgusted with some of the replies to your post, and that's saying a lot for ST.

Unfortunately you can't force her to rest. But keep up with the suggestions. Reach out to her friends (you said you don't know anyone she is close to, but can you reach out to her training club if you do it with genuine concern?). Frame your concern how you suggested, that you are an experienced triathlete and are offering advice. Best of luck to you and her. Thank you for being concerned about a fellow struggling human.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just don't take the approach my spouse did with "you're a freaking crazy person who owns 5 books about bikes and have crazy friends who that's all they talk about".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotta agree with the folks who suggest to just tell her straight up that her over training and over racing is the most likely cost of repetitive injuries and sickness; and worse - the decline in performance. She probably won't listen but that will be on her.

I know a lady at the same age who also trains and races like that...doesn't think twice about doing a marathon one weekend and an Ironman the next. But lucky for her she isn't constantly sick and injured. Just goes to show that people are not built the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Any advice for how to approach an acquaintance about likely overtraining [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The answer to this is you just mind your own business
Quote Reply
Re: Any advice for how to approach an acquaintance about likely overtraining [Hammer Down] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hammer Down wrote:
AKA, enabling.
Quote Reply
Re: Any advice for how to approach an acquaintance about likely overtraining [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Hammer Down wrote:
AKA, enabling.

That's a pretty loose definition of enabling. I have a co-worker (ie acquaintance) who makes a lot of poor financial decisions. Am I "enabling" by not offering to help them be less of an idiot? I say no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iron Dukie wrote:
I’m worried about a triathlete who I know casually from my training group who has for the last few years been doing three IMs, multiple
HIMs and 5-6 marathons a year, with very little or no time off between some long races and minimal time allowed for recovery. She’s probably in her early 50s and has been sick and/or injured for most all of this year but still not taking a break. Every time I hear she’s sick or injured I text her and try to subtly suggest she take some time off. I just saw a social media post from her saying she had a fever and chills and is sick again, and she’s probably been sick for at least half of this year. I just sent a text suggesting that she get some good rest this weekend to help her recovery and she responded by telling me she needs to train this weekend. Her race times are slower then ever because of injury and I’m worried she could be doing serious damage to her body. Any suggestions for how to approach helping her? I feel like things are at a point where some sort of intervention is warranted but I’m not super close with her; however I do think she may be more likely to listen to me then to people she’s close with because of my extensive IM history (16 IMs in 15 years). Unfortunately I don’t know anyone who she is close to and don’t want to overstep my bounds or push to the point where she feels threatened and won’t listen.
If anyone else has been through this I’d love to hear advice on what to do or not to do. Thanks in advance!

As the father of two teenagers, I can tell you that most people have to learn by their own mistakes. Some are quicker learners than others. Your friend appears to be a slow learner.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Any advice for how to approach an acquaintance about likely overtraining [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
RandMart wrote:
Is she hot?

I second this ....

And we wonder why more women don't take up the sport. \eyeroll
Quote Reply
Re: Any advice for how to approach an acquaintance about likely overtraining [Hammer Down] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hammer Down wrote:

x2. I have no idea if OP is a man, but offering "how you should live your life" advice to someone who didn't ask and isn't a close friend is usually just seen as a version of mansplaining regardless of the 'splainer's gender and no matter how good your intentions are.
Quote Reply
Re: Any advice for how to approach an acquaintance about likely overtraining [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gee wrote:
Hammer Down wrote:

x2. I have no idea if OP is a man, but offering "how you should live your life" advice to someone who didn't ask and isn't a close friend is usually just seen as a version of mansplaining regardless of the 'splainer's gender and no matter how good your intentions are.

x1.5. I will amend my advice above and suggest the advice should be given if and only if the OP is the same gender. In today's environment, a man offering a woman advice could definitely be accused of mansplainin'. Not worth that risk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I am a woman and would still think MYOFB if a woman I didn't know very well offered me this unsolicited advice.

I get it all the time: You should swim X way instead (uh, thank you not-very-good-recreational-swimmer, but I trust my swim coach; his name is AndyPotts), you are too thin and your coach should have intervened (uh, I am five feet tall and 108 lbs is not that thin, and my nutrition has been monitored and supervised by my sports/family doctors), and my personal favorite, your saddle is too low (thank you guy on schwinn who says you have never raced; you can blame the combined brainpower of Slowman, ianpeace, John Cobb, and the rest of the fit clinic at Xantusia).

I know it's meant well, but I still don't want to hear it from someone I don't know, and if I didn't ask.
Quote Reply

Prev Next