Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any Way Into London Marathon?
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering if anyone here happens to know any charities still looking for runners for the London marathon? (or any other way into the race, but hard to think what that would be). I'm unexpectedly going to be in London that weekend with nothing to do, would like to give it a go.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Any Way Into London Marathon? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not that I'm aware. Even a lot of the charity places sometimes have to be applied for the year before in a ballot and no guarantee you will be accepted.

Marathon day is a great time to go for a run elsewhere in town, other than at least one person thinking it's funny to shout "you're going the wrong way!".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a London based charity called " Get Kids Going " which fund raises via the London and New York marathons. I have supported them and run both London and NY. They are very well connected with the organisation behind the London marathon, might worth contacting them and see if they can help you.

I also have another contact via the London Marathon charitable foundation - this person can also find out who is looking for runners to fund raise etc ! I think the ballot for entrants closed some time ago, so your best bet is that one of these charities has a spare place or someone has dropped out etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you haven't been before, it's a great one to spectate if you can't get a place. We like being around Limehouse, but there's a great atmosphere along pretty much the whole route.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Way Into London Marathon? [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cherry_bomb wrote:
If you haven't been before, it's a great one to spectate if you can't get a place. We like being around Limehouse, but there's a great atmosphere along pretty much the whole route.

Cool, will definitely spectate if I fail to get in (most likely). Am trying out MyCousinVinny's suggestions, hoping for the best.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest emailing all of the charity partners. Let them know that you will definitely be fit to run and will definitely make the required donation - and I am fairly sure you will find a space. Around this time lots of people will be dropping like flies due to injury, or taking a place and not training, or realising that raising ÂŁ1.5-2.5K isn't easy - that is going to be the catch, charity spots are pricey.

I have never experienced anything like the crowds for the London marathon, it was an amazing day, I should probably caveat this with the fact I haven't done any other major marathons or events on that scale so it may be less impressive for someone with more experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A more exclusive option is to do the Reverse London Marathon, Starting just off Parliament Sq from 2am - 4am every 30mins, following the race route to Blackheath, Greenwich, to finish before 8am. It's not a race, with no timing, support etc, but an unique experience - starting in the dark & running into the day.

I've done it four times, leading a group of friends. A cooked breakfast in Rotherhithe afterwards & some race spectating, before heading home.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Way Into London Marathon? [Milessio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Milessio wrote:
A more exclusive option is to do the Reverse London Marathon, Starting just off Parliament Sq from 2am - 4am every 30mins, following the race route to Blackheath, Greenwich, to finish before 8am. It's not a race, with no timing, support etc, but an unique experience - starting in the dark & running into the day.

I've done it four times, leading a group of friends. A cooked breakfast in Rotherhithe afterwards & some race spectating, before heading home.

Wow, that’s something to consider.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have suggested, calling/emailing every single charity might work if you can raise 2000 gbp or pay that yourself.

https://www.tcslondonmarathon.com/...harities-with-places
https://www.tcslondonmarathon.com/...need-a-charity-place

Charity is the main entry type for the London marathon so I'm thinking that's more likely than a tour package at this point https://www.tcslondonmarathon.com/...ional-tour-operators

I'm wondering whether smaller less known charities at the bottom of the list might be more likely to have places than major ones?
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Mar 22, 23 6:49
Quote Reply
Re: Any Way Into London Marathon? [marcoviappiani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, yes, I have reached out to several. Mostly I haven't heard back, but a couple just said they didn't have spots.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Thanks, yes, I have reached out to several. Mostly I haven't heard back, but a couple just said they didn't have spots.

The ones that haven’t replied try their FB pages dedicated to the London Marathon. We are in the middle of a recession I will be surprised if one of them doesn’t have a spare place.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Way Into London Marathon? [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

The ones that haven’t replied try their FB pages dedicated to the London Marathon. We are in the middle of a recession I will be surprised if one of them doesn’t have a spare place.

Well, it seems like the way it tends to work with most of them is that they take your credit card and it is just auto-charged for whatever shortfall there exists between what you agreed to and what you came up with on their fundraising platform. So I'm guessing most spots were filled last Fall and injuries/fundraising shortfalls/etc might not matter for the moment. I did hear back from one charity that had spots then came back to me just now that they think the deadline is likely past and that they doubt they can get me in. If it's the case for them, it's probably the case for all of them, think I am likely SOL.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
SheridanTris wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

Well, it seems like the way it tends to work with most of them is that they take your credit card and it is just auto-charged for whatever shortfall there exists between what you agreed to and what you came up with on their fundraising platform. So I'm guessing most spots were filled last Fall and injuries/fundraising shortfalls/etc might not matter for the moment. I did hear back from one charity that had spots then came back to me just now that they think the deadline is likely past and that they doubt they can get me in. If it's the case for them, it's probably the case for all of them, think I am likely SOL.

I'm running next month for a charity. (barring disaster of course) The process was that I got rejected in the ballot (for the 12th time in a row!) So bit the bullet and spoke to a charity which carries out research into the condition I actually suffer from. (albeit quite mildly and I just take prescription pills every day) They came back and said that I was rejected! (Insert rolleyes emojii here!)

I chose another charity I'd heard reasonable things about. They were only too happy to have my ÂŁ2500 commitment. I've had to pay ÂŁ100 for the place itself and they've sent me a branded running top and some iron on letters for my name. The charity itself is expecting to raise half a million in charity for the London Marathon alone. ~200 runners. I haven't actually given them my credit card number and the only sort of link I have to them for that is they help set up a Justgiving page for me. (which currently has the sum total of ÂŁ5 in it)

I feel a lot more pressure to not get injured! So to not let people down who've expressed an interest in sponsoring me, I'm 100% self funding it. (and forgoing a holiday later this year) I gather most people aim to 50/50 the fundraising. Though of course the FB support group has a few that have already exceeded their targets by a margin!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never did find a way into London, but had an EZ question for any London running expert . . .

Is Battersea Park a good place to do a tempo run or interval session? Like that Carriage Drive loop, most likely, looks pretty dark on the strava heatmap. Is there any drinking fountain there, or is it the sort of place I could leave a bottle while I run loops? Is there a better place for this type of thing?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
I never did find a way into London, but had an EZ question for any London running expert . . .

Is Battersea Park a good place to do a tempo run or interval session? Like that Carriage Drive loop, most likely, looks pretty dark on the strava heatmap. Is there any drinking fountain there, or is it the sort of place I could leave a bottle while I run loops? Is there a better place for this type of thing?
Yes - first class, even with walkers in numbers: the road is wide. I have raced a 5 miles round there multiple times (3 laps is 5.14 miles iirc, sub 26, bitd, Veterans AC). If dry the grass is good if you want a rest from tarmac. Water: not sure but think there are fountains. Also a bought plastic bottle left beside the road will get no attention till the cleaners come round early morning.
Your other close to central London options are Green Park, Hyde Park (for a longer loop of maybe 4 miles, criss-crossed with smooth hard paths, venue of the London Olympic triathlon) or along the Thames Embankment (eg from Westminster Bridge to MI6).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lived in London for about 5 years and ran with a club. Battersea park is great, easy loop as noted. The Thames path from Battersea to Tower Bridge and back on the north side is a fantastic longer run, but do run it early as it is on very busy pathways. I always loved running that loop as I had great architecture to keep me company. Further west, the Thames path is dirt and a much calmer experience and if you continue a good bit, can get you into Richmond Park.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:

As others have said, it's a great place for tempo / intervals, i was there on Weds evening doing them. Can get quite busy over the weekend with people out walking etc which is the only thing to be aware of if you're doing efforts etc. Will be worse if the weather warms up!

Good routes also along the Thames, but again can be busy with pedestrians. Hyde Park, St James' Park, Kensington Palace Gardens are all nice too and a shortish run if you're looking at Battersea.

The sports centre in Battersea Park charges ÂŁ3 to use the changing room / lockers (you need a ÂŁ1 coin for the lockers), in case that's helpful. It's probably a good place to leave a bottle too, if you just leave it outside, it's unlikely to get moved anywhere.

Your only other chance with the marathon might be to find someone who can't run and get their number off them, but will be very dependent on being able to find someone. If i hear of anyone unable to run, i'll drop you a line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Battersea park is probably the best place in London for a tempo run if you want flat road, no sharp turns and be able to go fast at virtually any time of day.
There's other equally valuable parks in London including Hyde park, regents park, Victoria park and many more. You could also check one of the many weekly Parkruns.

Carriage drive road is wide and you can run fast even when fairly crowded. I would still avoid central hours if you can. Stay on the loop, avoid the river front and the central avenue that goes through the band stand (although they can be nice too if there aren't too many people walking their dogs)
There's also an athletics track near the Chelsea bridge entrance.

I read that they were going to install a water fountain but I haven't seen it yet. There's a couple of cafes, mainly on the east side (pear tree cafe and pier point cafe) there's also a couple of food trucks elsewhere in the park. Maybe if you buy the water from them you could ask them to keep it for you?

If you wanted a longer route with less repetition you could run west along the Thames path (south side) and you would only have 2 traffic lights between Battersea park and Wandsworth park. It's mostly straight with the occasional sharp bend. I wouldn't do this on a Sunday afternoon though.
If it's a long run you could do both sides of Thames or go all the way to Barnes or Richmond park and Uber back (although Uber out and run back is easier logistics).

The nicest don't miss route in London IMO would be run east along the Thames to tower bridge, back on the other side but can only be done very early in the morning.

In general London is great for running, really good parks. Lots of options.
Last edited by: marcoviappiani: Apr 14, 23 5:11
Quote Reply