Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any Tridot users?
Quote | Reply
Anyone have experience, good or bad with Tridot? How predictive is it based on past and current performance? How's it compare to simply using training peaks and making adjustments manually based on periodic lactate threshold testing. Trying to be more proactive in training and using this time to focus on quality vs just looking at accumulation metrics.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Tridot users? [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I "won" the free trial and used it over the winter. It was okay. App was fairly easy to use and the pricing isn't too high (there's a $29 monthly plan that provides some analysis (computerized) and training optimization). That said, I chose not to continue it. I've been on TR for years and still think that's the best value out there (especially if you got on during the $99 annual phase). If you're looking at the premium Tridot package, you could hire a good good for that amount or even a bit less potentially.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full disclosure, I am an ambassador for TriDot. I can answer any of your specific questions. I have gained steadily the last three years from top 10% in any event I entered to consistent podiums including qualifying for Team USA at nationals last year. It is intuitive for me and works well for my busy lifestyle. I believe it legitimately guides you to better results with fewer training hours. One thing to be aware of is that you get the most out of it by training with power on the bike. If you don’t have a PM, I doubt it is much more effective than what you can get with Trainer Road, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good as any, I like that it is specific to swim, bike , run ability and skill in the moment.I reversed engineered the numbers of my test to past performance and it was spot on , my swim was always faster.
As with any plan ,can and do you execute the warm ups and work outs as written?
If you do on this you will be fit enough , the variable will be your race day execution and following proper nutrition.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Tridot users? [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was it about tridot that wasn’t as good as TR? I’m asking because I’m currently on TR and looking for a more personalized approach to training for the same hours that will yield better results than their stock plans. Also interested that They have run and swims too. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Tridot users? [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The workouts were fine. I just like that I can switch between cycling training plans and multi sport with TR. I do some bike racing too and having full access to those plans was something that was important to me.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Any Tridot users? [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work with a coach in addition to TriDot which helps with tweaking things even more. The workouts are always adjusting to keep it fresh and they are targeted specifically to your training phase. The philosophy it subscribes to is strong before long, fast before far. In development phase which is anything longer than 12 weeks out from your race, it will focus on FTP development and/or threshold pace. As your race prep phase starts, the system will start building stamina.

Your workouts will upload directly from the system to Garmin, Zwift, and I am guessing TR too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disclosure- I am on staff with TriDot. Training Peaks is an online marketplace that provides for coaches a venue to sell prewritten training plans or make training for individual athletes. Likewise, athletes can use Training Peaks to plan their training and then view data in a historical context. Training Peaks does not create training nor does it adjust training based on training data, rather provides coaches and athletes the ability to manually perform those functions.

TriDot is optimization software that leverages big data, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and advanced analytics to create training specific for each individual athlete. TriDot has acquired millions of training files from tens of thousands of athletes over the past 10+ years and developed insights from that data that provides for optimized training. Athletes have the option to upload their genetic data for an even more individualized training experience.

TriDot leverages 21st century technology to remove the guesswork and trial and error from training much like GPS mapping eliminated the need to determine driving directions by looking at a map. Mapping GPS apps are able to consider thousands of possible routes from a user's location to their destination to determine which is the best and then is able to adjust that route as new data (traffic, road closure) becomes available. Likewise, TriDot's predictive analytics consider and evaluate thousands of possible training scenarios to determine which is optimal and then uses prescriptive analytics to create a training plan that will achieve that objective. Athletes have the option to upload their genetic data for an even more individualized training experience.

There are over 11,000 calculations are considered in the creation of a typical training phase. No two training phases are ever the same because no two athletes are ever the same. Phase to phase the same athlete will change in certain ways and therefore their optimized training will differ. Once the athlete begins to execute their training, every data point within every training file is reviewed by the analytical software and refinements are made to future training as necessary. This ongoing training file analysis provides for the software to develop training insights about that individual as well as normalizes that data to continually improve training for all athletes.

Athletes have the option to use TriDot on their own or work with a coach. There are subscription options for every budget and because every training plan is created specifically for each individual, it is effective for beginners to elites, short course and long course, young and old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I almost passed by this without commenting, as I am full time staff producing media for TriDot. I'll try to keep my comments unbiased and objective to my experience as an athlete training with TriDot.

I started using TriDot Training at the end of 2017. I had just completed my first two 70.3 events, entirely self coached, earlier in the year. I was interested in some sort of coaching to continue growing in the sport, but just didn't have the budget for a full time coach. I also knew I needed more than just a cookie cutter template to follow. Looked around on Google and came across TriDot. They were running their annual preseason 2 months free trial, and so I decided to give it a shot.

Using TriDot I was actually training less hours, and improving at a faster rate, then when I was training on my own. After 3-4 months I was knocking down PR milestones that had long alluded me while I was self coached (Example, I had been trying to go sub 20 on a 5k for years. Could barely get under 21 minutes on my own. After a year on TriDot I was down well into the 18 min range).

So ya great experience for me. I also found a ton of added value in their athlete community (incredibly active Facebook group), and educational initiatives (Race Recon Webinars, Podcasts, Blogs, Etc.). Whenever I have a question about the TriDot Training, a particular race, or a piece of gear, usually multiple athletes in the TriDot community have experience and are happy to help get you an answer. I was an athlete on Tridot Training for a few years before it lead to me joining their team full time. And I still gladly pay my $29.99 each month for my subscription.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried the free trial and was incredibly underwhelmed. Maybe their $99/mo options are better. But the training plans were like 6-8hr/wk garbage. Seemed more catered to someone looking to complete their first tri than anyone looking to steadily improve

Positive: the UI is incredibly easy to use (much more 2020 looking than Training Peaks)
Quote Reply
Re: Any Tridot users? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
I tried the free trial and was incredibly underwhelmed. Maybe their $99/mo options are better. But the training plans were like 6-8hr/wk garbage. Seemed more catered to someone looking to complete their first tri than anyone looking to steadily improve

Positive: the UI is incredibly easy to use (much more 2020 looking than Training Peaks)

Thanks for the feedback on the UI- that was something we put a lot of effort and resource into last year to make the platform user friendly and simple to use. Sorry you were underwhelmed, but as you will see from my comments above, TriDot is effective for athletes of all abilities.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Tridot users? [jmayfield] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It just seems like a lot of technobabble with no real substance... "TriDot is optimization software that leverages big data, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and advanced analytics to create training specific for each individual athlete"

I think what really fails to come across is How this training is determined. Any time TriDot pops up, it is always the employees and brand ambassadors advocating for it. The ios app has 1 review... I highly question the 3.2X better results on 30% less time while being 2.9X less likely to get injured metrics. (Sidenote, what is a 3.2X better result?) That screams questionable statistics to me.

I think a lot of the performance gains made by folks are coming from new triathletes and people who are following structured training for the first time (which is a great thing! much better than just training randomly). The proprietary ML algorithms being used to create multi-sport synergies and a best in class, lazer-targeted solution are all fluffy marketing BS. Reddit has a lot of actual user feedback, which is much more of a mixed bag (many advocating for the $9.99 plan though). It all comes across very MLM-esque with the ambassador program
Last edited by: indianacyclist: Jul 2, 20 14:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
It just seems like a lot of technobabble with no real substance... "TriDot is optimization software that leverages big data, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and advanced analytics to create training specific for each individual athlete"

I think what really fails to come across is How this training is determined. Any time TriDot pops up, it is always the employees and brand ambassadors advocating for it. The ios app has 1 review... I highly question the 3.2X better results on 30% less time while being 2.9X less likely to get injured metrics. (Sidenote, what is a 3.2X better result?) That screams questionable statistics to me.

I think a lot of the performance gains made by folks are coming from new triathletes and people who are following structured training for the first time (which is a great thing! much better than just training randomly). The proprietary ML algorithms being used to create multi-sport synergies and a best in class, lazer-targeted solution are all fluffy marketing BS. Reddit has a lot of actual user feedback, which is much more of a mixed bag (many advocating for the $9.99 plan though). It all comes across very MLM-esque with the ambassador program

There are numerous resources on the website that provide insight into how the training is determined. The podcast is likely the best resource if you are interested in learning more. The Preseason Project episode provides insight as to how the improvements stats are determined. The mobile app is a new version just recently added to the app store, but there are almost 500 reviews on the Facebook page and almost 400 reviews on Google. Ambassadors are all volunteers and do not receive any compensation. It's a great group of athletes passionate about TriDot as well as promoting triathlon and serving the triathlon community.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
But the training plans were like 6-8hr/wk garbage. Seemed more catered to someone looking to complete their first tri than anyone looking to steadily improve

I can attest that I am a top of the podium triathlete off the 8-10hr garbage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping this thread as I think it could be useful for the coach looking at TriDot for coaching services.

Also, I have been using TriDot for nearly a year now. Entered the Pre-Season Program and never left, then joined the Ambassador program this year. I wanted to respond to the Multi-Level Marketing comment. I know John Mayfield already made a reference to the lack of compensation, but I want to echo that. Ambassadors receive a one-time discount on clothing in order to represent the company at events and an invitation to come to a training camp that they pay for themselves. There is no reduction of monthly subscription or other financial incentive. I was skeptical at first too, but I think the outpouring of support from the Ambassadors is genuine. There are so few resources for beginning multi-sport athletes that I think TriDot stands out because it's a program that you can simply follow and improve.

There is often a backlash from athletes that are already training and competing because they have grown to enjoy the volume. TriDot intentionally keeps the volume to a minimum to avoid potential injuries.

I am most interested in hearing intelligent commentary about what I find to be the most revolutionary perspective that TriDot brings.... fast before long. I must say it wasn't intuitive to me, but I have come to accept the simplicity and common sense of this mantra.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Tridot users? [Matt J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" TriDot intentionally keeps the volume to a minimum to avoid potential injuries."

Respectfully this just need not be the case. There are other ways to reduce the likelihood of injury while maintaining or even increasing volume-modulating intensity, incorporating strength training and being smart about recovery among just a few strategies that a good coach utilizes.

But aside from that I am very unimpressed by the annual 'research project' that TriDot uses to get new paying customers. I have written to them for insight in to what 'research' they are doing and what IRB this research is being monitored by and...nothing yet. I'd love to get some insight from the various TD employees and salesfolks on this thread.

This 'research' has not been published anywhere that I can tell and seems to be another way that this company like many others utilizes science, and most people's misunderstanding or limited knowledge of, as a means to sell their product.

I do not begrudge anyone who finds this coaching platform beneficial to them, I'm quite aware that a lot of people like it and I am happy that some have seen results. I also know that a lot of people find that when they decide they want to get serious about their training they move on.

Jeffrey Sankoff, MD
TriDoc Coaching/TriDoc Podcast
Train hard, train healthy
http://www.tridocpodcast.com
http://www.tridoccoaching.com
Quote Reply
Re: Any Tridot users? [tridoc5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://predictive.fit/trademark-list/

lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tridoc5280 wrote:
" TriDot intentionally keeps the volume to a minimum to avoid potential injuries."

Respectfully this just need not be the case. There are other ways to reduce the likelihood of injury while maintaining or even increasing volume-modulating intensity, incorporating strength training and being smart about recovery among just a few strategies that a good coach utilizes.

But aside from that I am very unimpressed by the annual 'research project' that TriDot uses to get new paying customers. I have written to them for insight in to what 'research' they are doing and what IRB this research is being monitored by and...nothing yet. I'd love to get some insight from the various TD employees and salesfolks on this thread.

This 'research' has not been published anywhere that I can tell and seems to be another way that this company like many others utilizes science, and most people's misunderstanding or limited knowledge of, as a means to sell their product.

I do not begrudge anyone who finds this coaching platform beneficial to them, I'm quite aware that a lot of people like it and I am happy that some have seen results. I also know that a lot of people find that when they decide they want to get serious about their training they move on.

I am an Ambassador for TriDot and receive no compensation or discounts on my monthly training plan. A couple of the other posts are from actual paid staff and they might have better answers for you than I.

The Pre-Season Project is not academic research, it's a membership drive coupled with adding data to the TriDot database. Subjects get free daily training sessions in exchange for their data making the "big data" set that is mined by the algorithms more complete. Many current TriDot users, myself included, started during the PSP. I was 100% aware of the trade off when I started the program and I would venture to guess that the vast majority of PSP participants also understand it. I don't think that any time any organization whether private or public uses the word "research" that means they are participating in a double blind biomedical study that necessitates an Institutional Review Board. The PSP suggests training and the subjects choose to complete that training, all data gathering is done by the subject with their own equipment, i.e. Garmin wrist watch. As a private entity I also do not think there is any obligation to publish their findings.

That being said, there is a fine line between preserving "proprietary" intellectual property and lacking in transparency. That is part of the reason I bumped this thread as I am genuinely interested in others' opinions about training systems and the science behind them.

Anecdotally, I came to triathlon via competitive road cycling and did not realize that the training stress of running in combination with the cycling I was already doing would be problematic. So, for me, the level of volume that TriDot prescribed for me was appropriate and helped me rehab some injury and be competitive in the distances I chose to race last year.

There are many competitive athletes that use TriDot. I was one of a group that met up for 70.3 World Championships and there are other competitive AG athletes and pros using TriDot. I do not think it is true that athletes that "get serious" quit TriDot, but I can respect that you have anecdotally seen one or more cases of that occurring. The number one AG athlete in WTC is a TriDot coach and uses the system to train, so clearly there are some "serious" athletes that use TriDot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After 20 years of doing Ironman races I just signed up for this years PSP to try to get more structured and data driven with my training. So far I am really liking it. Struggled a bit with interfacing between the different tech and pushing workouts to devices but I think I have that sorted now.

A great online community as well, very encouraging and supportive.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Tridot users? [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorelegs wrote:
After 20 years of doing Ironman races I just signed up for this years PSP to try to get more structured and data driven with my training. So far I am really liking it. Struggled a bit with interfacing between the different tech and pushing workouts to devices but I think I have that sorted now.

A great online community as well, very encouraging and supportive.

That's awesome! Congrats.

I used to hate the technology side of it. I'm the guy who never starts his cycling computer, or stops for coffee and leaves it running. But, once I became more committed to doing it right, I really appreciate having all the data.

If you have any questions you don't want to take to the FB group feel free to reach out via PM's on here ny time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping this thread to see if anyone has done a TriDot Pool School. I keep getting emails about them and am mildly curious, even if they seem a bit expensive. Any past participants want to share their experience?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff, funny how close "TriDot" is to "TriDoc" coaching in naming convention...although they are two completely & very distinctly different methods of coaching.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just started and so far all is great. Sorting out the tech stuff too, but the workouts so far have been quality. Not sure how I’m going to manage my Saturday group ride while trying to get in structured set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri3ba wrote:
Anyone have experience, good or bad with Tridot? How predictive is it based on past and current performance? How's it compare to simply using training peaks and making adjustments manually based on periodic lactate threshold testing. Trying to be more proactive in training and using this time to focus on quality vs just looking at accumulation metrics.

My experience with TriDot has been through participation in their preseason program. I was self coach and though that the TriDot Program would be good to ensure that I was doing the right type of volume, intensity, and balance of time between disciplines. The Training was different than what I would have prescribed on my own. I think it is always good to try different approaches because you get used to the training if it is always the same and plateau. The first time through the program my bike and run volume stayed right about where it had been, but the run intensity was way higher. I was doing 9:00 min/mi type paces for my long slow days and 7:30 min/mile type stuff for my tempo runs and on the TriDot plan it had me doing 8:00 min/mi for my long runs and 6:30 min/mi for my tempo runs. Speed days didn't change. I always went all out at the track. The bike workouts had periodized training plans that I hadn't done before. I had just rode outside and work the the lay of the land (i.e. hard going up hills, easy coming down hills, steady on the flats, etc.). Swimming I went from doing four 30-minute sessions a week to two hour sessions a weeks with a lot of prescribed drills. I was used to doing lots of drills, but the longer swim sessions were a big change for me. I didn't have any break throughs with TriDot, but I did expand my range of types of training and workouts which was a good thing.

I started the program a second time 4 years later and it did not go well. I take a full month off every year after my last race. After my time off I did an 8 week base building block that ended right as I was going into the pre-season program the first time. The second time I went right from the month off into the TriDot program and the high intensity stuff with no base for a gray haired masters athlete did not work. I got injuries from excessive intensity three time in my first two weeks with the program. That is more injuries that I had suffered in the previous 5 years in the sport combined, so I dropped out of the program and went back to building my base. So...you have to watch those computer generated programs. You might be able to do tempo runs at 6:30 min/mile pace when you are peaking leading up to a race, but if you are an older athlete have taken a lot of time away from the sport, the computer can't make those important adjustments. So...I am doing a redo on the season I dropped out of a year ago staring next month. I am 6 weeks into my base training and stating to feel some of my speed come back so I am hoping things will go better this time around.

Note: There are a few women in my local Triathlon club who are TriDot Ambassadors. They like the structure of TriDot. I think, like all Computer Based software, that if you are average then the program will be a good fit for you and if you are to one edge of the extreme in terms of intensities you can sustain, how fast you fatigue or how long you can sustain efforts, recovery time required, etc. that the computer generated workouts are not going to be you best fit. I did enjoy the program the first time through it, but am so comfortable with my self coaching and have have made continual improvements with that so I am terrified to turn the control of planning the workouts over to someone else in two weeks. I am going to give it my best shot though. I have to try new things from time to time to keep learning and growing.
Last edited by: curtish26: Jan 24, 23 11:32
Quote Reply