Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any Experiences with Guru Bikes
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with Guru cycles. I know most of the suggestions on this site are for Cervelos (and I would agree since I love my P2K) but I am looking for a bike for my wife. She is currently riding a Trek 2200 WSD in a 43cm size. She is only 4' 11'' with a short torso, so even the WSD has a little too long of a top tube. I know Gerard had posted some info a while back on the fit issues of the WSD's but can not exactly recall his opinions. The owner of my not so local "LBS" recommended the Guru because of their ability to produce a custom bike at a reasonable cost and because we feel a bike with a completely carbon fiber rear triangle would soak up a little more road shock. A lot of the roads around here (Rural South Carolina) are very rough paved and we have found that a 43cm aluminum frame has a pretty harsh ride. I would chalk it up to her being a wuss, and needing more time in the saddle, but this is a woman who took a Terry Butterfly seat off of her bike because it was too wide and had too much padding. If any of you have any experience with them I would appreciate it.

Tim Anderson
"It's the nature of the internets that you get some dweeb who knows nothing about (insert topic here) pontificates about (topic), believing that his/her opinion is worth the same as opinions from those who actually knows what's going on." --Echappist
Quote Reply
Re: Any Experiences with Guru Bikes [Trippertim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no experience but the post from Kevin in Queens asking for help on bike fit has a photo of him sitting on a Guru bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guru....where to start.

I ordered my bike in october 2002. I ordered the 2002 chronalu with ultegra components. When my bike arrived, i was slightly shocked. They had switched some of the components on the bike for their 2003 specs. I am not sure if they are better or worse, but they did forget my seat in the process (was supposed to get a gel seat, only got a regular one...its hurts like hell!)

ALso, when they built the frame, the chainstays were supposed to have a "s" bend in them to increase lateral stiffness, they forgot this as well.

I am still waiting on the seat, and second guessing myself wishing i bought a p2k.

HOWEVER, they did take my measurements when they built the bike and then built the bike to my specs from their HUGE range of sizes (m and l at each different length (ie 55 and 55long)

I am happy with the bike so far. The cables arent internally routed like the cervelo, not even in the $4500 chrono, but the paint job is really cool, and at no extra cost.

I have tried to contact their customer service dept, but havent heard anything from them about the lack of s-bends, and im not sure if the seat is guru's or my lbs' fault.

The bike is good quality as far as i can tell, but then again, im kind of new to this game, so i wouldnt be able to tell you a huge deal about that.

They do offer a lot of sizes though, and that is one thing that i found really helpful about them.

-kevin

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as far as custom bikes... I hear a lot of people talking about madaric bikes. Ves posts on this site and is a very good resource. You can find a link to their bike site from the main slow twitch site.

pretty sure it is

www.madaric.com

a pricier alternative is also serotta has a very good custom department... a bit pricey though
Quote Reply
Give Yaqui a try also. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guru bicycles seem to be very nice. An additional resource is Ves at Yaqui. During my very limited dealings with Ves I have been left with the impression that he has high persopnal standards and is genuinely concerned about fit. My impression is fit is more important to Ves than making a sale. Also, the Yaqi's that I have seen were built to the correct spec and also had excellent workmanship. I'm always a little suspect when the primary thing that attracts people to a given bike is its paint job. The Yaqui's have great paint, but they also deliver on the bottom line: Fit and performance.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can read about the Cervelo perspective on WSD bikes on their website www.cervelo.com under the question and answer section.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guru: Good bikes, lousy company

The best alternative for custom IMHO is Cramerotti, guaranteed turn-around, no up-charge for custom size and color, and much cheaper than Guru for virtually the same frame (alu aero w/carbon seatstays).

www.cramerotti.com

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have seen quite a few Guru bikes around here. I've saw one cracked frame (chrono, near the cut out on the seat tube) which was replaced, but overall they seem to be OK. I agree with the other posters however, that they may be at that stage where they are growing too fast and the customer service may leave something to be desired.

Joel

www.CompetitionZone.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a GURU Crona-alu. I LOVED it. It had s-bend seat stays, carbon fork. This was the best riding, most shock-absorbing, best handling TT bike I've ever ridden...until the bike I have now. I don't think they would be as aero as a Yaqui or Cervelos, because of the external routed cables, the downtube isn't as narrow, the seat tube wasn't cut out for the rear wheel, etc. But, for the money, it was quite a nice bike.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply