Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Antibiotics effecting training
Quote | Reply
Anyone have an approximation of how long after you finish a run with antibiotics that you can expect to being back to full steam? A few days? Week?

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on the person. And whether or not you were on a single dose or a longer term course.

But, in my own relatively limited experience, I'd say the timeframe is "weeks" as opposed to "days" (or, on the brightside, "months").


"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp | Game Designer @ Zwift

Ask me about: 1st Endurance | Normatec - $100 off RAPP2019 | Zipp | Quarq | SRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mid Jan i got a nasty sinus thing. Day 4 it turned from yellow to dark yellow or light brown. Day 8 i started bactrim anantibiotic. I ran and rode bike entire time. Ran 10 on day 7 and rode 70 on day 9. Just slept more than normal. Doctor said to keep going.

Get rest. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [TryScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will go back and look at hr to compare pace and power, but i don't think the drop off was noticeable.
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was on for 9 days. Had a similar course in the fall and thought I remembered power bouncing back in a week. Racing on Sunday so I guess that will be not great.


So Jordan, given that this is really more about months, do you avoid them as much as possible in season?
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a better question would be how long after my infection can I expect to be in full steam. The type of infection you have will make a huge difference in your performance. A skin and soft tissue infection (e.g boil, abscess, cellulitis) is different then say a respiratory infection that will effect your breathing or say a bacteremia/blood infection which will cause more systemic issues. The toll from the infection is likely greater than the possibility of side effects from antibiotics causing performance issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do antibiotics affect training?

I ask because I went through two rounds of 9 days from some dental work.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Why do antibiotics affect training?

I ask because I went through two rounds of 9 days from some dental work.

jaretj

Curious about this as well. I'm on day 3 of antibiotics for an ear infection, and for the life of me cant remember ever being on antibiotics before so no frame of reference. Pushed hard against having to go on them but the doc was pretty convincing.

Anyhow no race for months but I am about to start training for multiple events all the way up through next Jan. I feel pretty drained so I'm backing the start of base training up but am very curious as to how antiobiotics themselves affect training vs whatever infection you have going?
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Why do antibiotics affect training?

I ask because I went through two rounds of 9 days from some dental work.

jaretj
It depends on the antibiotic, but some of them for example can cause tendinitis or even tendon rupture.
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was recently using Penicilin vk for the dental work.

I had issues many years ago (pneumonia in 2006) when I took Levaquin with some pain my my calves. I'm not 100% sure that the Levaquin caused or helped with that problem.

Two years ago I had a Z pak (pneumonia again) and had no issues at all with training.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nchristi wrote:
jaretj wrote:
Why do antibiotics affect training?

I ask because I went through two rounds of 9 days from some dental work.

jaretj

It depends on the antibiotic, but some of them for example can cause tendinitis or even tendon rupture.

That's the Levaquin and other flouroquinolones. Apparently pretty risky to try any type of impact activity while on those.

Other antibiotics, I have generally just felt bleh. PE is very high, almost impossible to do any hard or top-end stuff. Has always lasted a couple of days after my last does.
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nchristi wrote:
jaretj wrote:
Why do antibiotics affect training?

I ask because I went through two rounds of 9 days from some dental work.

jaretj

It depends on the antibiotic, but some of them for example can cause tendinitis or even tendon rupture.

I believe this was a major contributing factor to my Achilles issues last Feb. My doc prescribed prednisone as well.... it's was a double whammy in terms of risk factors.


TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the sooner you get your gut bacteria back in order the better. Load up on probiotic foods while on antibiotics and immediately after. a couple weeks ago I finished 21 days of antibiotics. I was really sick so I didn't train for the first 14 days, but then was allowed to ease back into training while finishing up the antibiotics. it was 5 days after I finished that my gut finally felt back to normal, then another 3 weeks before I felt back to normal training, but I was recovering from a 6-8 week bout of walking pneumonia.
Last edited by: GhiaGirl: Feb 18, 15 11:02
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Sounds tough.

I was actually on them for preventative measures after dental surgery. Still load up on probiotics?

Thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep. Antibiotics kill the good bacteria in your gut so whatever you can do to get it back to normal.
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [pedalbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say increased risk. I disagree with "pretty risky."

I prescribe quinolones every day and have not had a patient with tendinopathy. I always warn them of symptoms. I also avoid using them in my more active patients too.

As a side note, antibiotics shouldn't be used prophylatically for dental procedures unless you have certain cardiac issues (prosthetic valves, congenital heart defects, etc.). This is a huge pet peeve of mine because many dentists don't follow the ADA guidelines and don't realize risk of antibiotics.
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GhiaGirl wrote:
yep. Antibiotics kill the good bacteria in your gut so whatever you can do to get it back to normal.

FWIW, I'd always heard this too so asked my doctor about it when he prescribed bactrum and he said it really didn't matter. If I wanted to it wouldn't hurt, but it wouldn't really help anything either.
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So then what should they do with infections around teeth? Is there a better thing to do?
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
%FTP wrote:
Anyone have an approximation of how long after you finish a run with antibiotics that you can expect to being back to full steam? A few days? Week?

TIA

Go by how you feel. Respect the fact that your body is recovering from illness and your immune system has taken a hit.
FYI there are some antibiotics that will cause some wonky heart rate things (usually associated with fluoroquinolone class).
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with many of the previous posters...

....gut bacteria is always affected. I would add that often in my experience the insult to the digestive system is more the cause for fatigue than any residuals from the illness. If anything I think the effect of ATB is underestimated. One note, if you're trying to supplement with probiotics there are 5 main bacteria to include....most good yogurt has only 2 or 3. There are some good supplements out there which is key because you have to eat a TON of yogurt to make a dent.

.....fluoroquinolones have been thought to be linked tendon injury for 30 years. Achilles tendon is the main site -- 90-95% of the time with ruptures and tendinopathy. I've had client that it affected fascia in the back, biceps tendon...almost anywhere. I caution my athletes (because of the forces they put on their body compared to the general population) and anyone with diabetes or renal insufficiency to take it easy for 4 to 6 weeks after they finish their course. Overly cautious? Maybe but nothing slows you down quite as much as a tendinopathy (or worse).

Endurance Nerd
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a run with some antibiotics last year, for about 4 days. I remember being extremely flat for the following 3-4 days and by the end of the week I was pretty much okay. The symptom I was experiencing the most was an extremely low HR during exercise as well as feeling flat.

Just my experience
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [endurancenerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endurancenerd wrote:
Agree with many of the previous posters...

....gut bacteria is always affected. I would add that often in my experience the insult to the digestive system is more the cause for fatigue than any residuals from the illness. If anything I think the effect of ATB is underestimated. One note, if you're trying to supplement with probiotics there are 5 main bacteria to include....most good yogurt has only 2 or 3. There are some good supplements out there which is key because you have to eat a TON of yogurt to make a dent.

.....fluoroquinolones have been thought to be linked tendon injury for 30 years. Achilles tendon is the main site -- 90-95% of the time with ruptures and tendinopathy. I've had client that it affected fascia in the back, biceps tendon...almost anywhere. I caution my athletes (because of the forces they put on their body compared to the general population) and anyone with diabetes or renal insufficiency to take it easy for 4 to 6 weeks after they finish their course. Overly cautious? Maybe but nothing slows you down quite as much as a tendinopathy (or worse).

I would agree. They also prolong the QT interval and in some folks that is a dangerous thing. Most folks will complain of an elevated HR while on them though.
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
%FTP wrote:
Was on for 9 days. Had a similar course in the fall and thought I remembered power bouncing back in a week. Racing on Sunday so I guess that will be not great.


So Jordan, given that this is really more about months, do you avoid them as much as possible in season?

I try to avoid antibiotics all the time. For two reasons. One is that they are hard on your system. But the big reason is that I generally prefer not get some some bacterial infection if I can avoid it. Just as a matter of principle...


"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp | Game Designer @ Zwift

Ask me about: 1st Endurance | Normatec - $100 off RAPP2019 | Zipp | Quarq | SRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is sage wisdom right there.

;)
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just went through a run on penicillin, sucked energy big time. I just trained through it, although I did not feel good doing this
Quote Reply

Prev Next