Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [Stevie G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting that in the last 2 weeks I've been off penicillin I've felt better. Maybe coincidental?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
started doxycycline two days ago. Persistent, but, not too bad cough, and, got a tick bite. Doc said that the meds would cover me in case of Lyme's and anything bacterial (URI). Was actually doing good times at the track and in the pool, but, now energy is down a notch.

I'll bet it seems weird to read about a guy worried about a tick bite in February, I'm in CA. So, for those freezing your fannys off back east. At least ya got that going for you - which is nice!

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think most who have posted so far have confused training while sick or recovering from an illness with training while taking antibiotics. Invariably, I train and feel better while taking antibiotics than I did the week or more prior because the antibiotics are helping me get over a bacterial infection. I have often noticed that I did not really appreciate how lousy I was feeling until after I have been taking antibiotics and begin to get better. David K
Last edited by: DavidK: Feb 25, 15 5:07
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
im about to go on a 7 day course of antibiotics (penicillin) for a simple skin infection, so ill keep everyone posted on what it does to my training. Having said that im due for a recovery week next week and im counting down the days because im feeling it atm
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I agree.

I'm talking about the impact of antibiotics not being sick.

I've had to be on them twice in the past 6 months and noticed a significant drop (30-40 watts) for a given heart rate. So it feels much harder to do normal numbers than it normally does until about a week or two later when it's all flushed out.
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bulk of dental abx are probably avoidable. What issues are you having? What type of dentist is prescribing the antibiotics?
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [Endo Ag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a tooth that needed to be removed. It had a root canal ~20 years ago and the bone around the roots was receding. Along with that, there was (what the dentist described as) a small pimple on my gum near the roots.

I of course could not see it but I'm not a dentist either. In order to get one of the roots out they had to dig into the jawbone to get at it.

Because of the infection around the root sockets he prescribed the antibiotic.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [hairy cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hairy cyclist wrote:
I had a run with some antibiotics last year, for about 4 days. I remember being extremely flat for the following 3-4 days and by the end of the week I was pretty much okay. The symptom I was experiencing the most was an extremely low HR during exercise as well as feeling flat.

Just my experience

I ran the NYC Marathon on my last day of antibiotics. Needless to say I didn't PR; I felt very dehydrated and it honestly took a toll on my for a couple of days afterwards. I wouldn't do it again & I wouldn't recommend it. YMMV though.
my $0.02
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GhiaGirl wrote:
yep. Antibiotics kill the good bacteria in your gut so whatever you can do to get it back to normal.
Yes, yes YES! I learned this the hard way back in '09 and '10, a year of hell. Antibiotics do a number on your system. Load up on fruit, veggies and fiber to feed the remaining "good" bacteria in your colon. Avoid sugar (obviously) as it feeds the "bad" bacteria. Then eat as much probiotics as possible: fermented kombucha, sauerkraut, yogurt, etc. You need to ingest a lot of it because your stomach acid will kill most of it before it gets to your colon.
Quote Reply
Re: Antibiotics effecting training [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On day 3 of a Zpac of antibiotics, plus 4 days of single dose steroid and an inhaler. Hoping by Saturday as I land in Cozumel I will have full lung capacity back and get some training in. Rented a QR and looking forward to riding the IM course. Feeling better already on day 3.

==================
Cervelo P3 / Flo 60/90
RTA Nation
Quote Reply

Prev Next