Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another tire pressure question - Hed Jet C2 rims / Conti GP 4000Sii 700x23 tires
Quote | Reply
I have an older (2010ish vintage) set of Hed Jet C2 wheels with Continental Grand Prix 4000Sii tires in 700x23. I weigh 195lb. What tire pressure f/r is a good starting point for this combo at my weight? I've been running 105psi front / 110psi rear, but I suspect that's too high to be optimal.

Thanks.

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Re: Another tire pressure question - Hed Jet C2 rims / Conti GP 4000Sii 700x23 tires [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HED has a page for this on their website. Looks like you should be about 80 psi. i ride these wheels to their recommended pressures, and find them to be awesome!

https://store.hedcycling.com/tire-pressure/
Quote Reply
Re: Another tire pressure question - Hed Jet C2 rims / Conti GP 4000Sii 700x23 tires [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you using latex tubes?
Quote Reply
Re: Another tire pressure question - Hed Jet C2 rims / Conti GP 4000Sii 700x23 tires [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I am using Michelin 700x18/20 latex tubes.

Steve

Quote Reply
Re: Another tire pressure question - Hed Jet C2 rims / Conti GP 4000Sii 700x23 tires [mmansfield6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! That's a big difference from what I've been running, but I'll give it a shot.

Steve

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The C2 is a bit narrower, 19mm Internal I think, and they don’t have quite the same volume for the wheel bead channel. You might add a couple psi to adjust for the reduced volume. I run 83 in my C2 disc and 81 in my front Jet+
Quote Reply
Re: Another tire pressure question - Hed Jet C2 rims / Conti GP 4000Sii 700x23 tires [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your post jogged my memory, so I went looking. Found a review that showed them with an 18 internal width and a max weight of 190 for the normal build.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't go much lower (for risk of pinch flats). If you get the Jet 6+ (wider rim) then 85/90 works well.

I run my Jet 9 C2 at 112psi with a 23mm Supersonic, and my 6+ for the roadie at 85/90. Similar weight range to you.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Another tire pressure question - Hed Jet C2 rims / Conti GP 4000Sii 700x23 tires [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
I wouldn't go much lower (for risk of pinch flats). If you get the Jet 6+ (wider rim) then 85/90 works well.

I run my Jet 9 C2 at 112psi with a 23mm Supersonic, and my 6+ for the roadie at 85/90. Similar weight range to you.

Yikes. 112 sounds awfully high. I iddn't run that on my old H3 with a 700x20 SS. Doing some rough guestimating I would put the volume of the same tire on the C2 at maybe 15% smaller. Assuming some linear scaling, the works out to about 95 psi. Then the 4000-23 is probably more like a 25.

If course conditions are reasonable I would always default to a bit lower. The Marginal Gains podcast has a bunch of episodes on this stuff. You might try listening to that for some more info
Quote Reply
Re: Another tire pressure question - Hed Jet C2 rims / Conti GP 4000Sii 700x23 tires [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I’ll check out the podcast.

I’ve gotten regular pinch flats with tires (gp4000s 23c) in the low 90s, so it makes sense to run more pressure. Also need to take rider weight into account (“grumpier” wasn’t under consideration when I was picking a user name).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a nugget of wisdom you might appreciate. The standard HED C2 rim tape will flex/depress too much around the spoke holes for reliable use with latex tubes. Everything tends to work well for a while and then I would get some mystery flats that I finally tied back to the tube weakening around the area where it was being repeatedly "stretched" at the indentation of the rim tape at the spoke hole. A couple layers of Stans or Silca rim tape fixed the problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:
I have an older (2010ish vintage) set of Hed Jet C2 wheels with Continental Grand Prix 4000Sii tires in 700x23. I weigh 195lb. What tire pressure f/r is a good starting point for this combo at my weight? I've been running 105psi front / 110psi rear, but I suspect that's too high to be optimal.

Thanks.
I only have a front Jet 6 C2 but tend to run it at 105 psi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Yikes. 112 sounds awfully high. I iddn't run that on my old H3 with a 700x20 SS. Doing some rough guestimating I would put the volume of the same tire on the C2 at maybe 15% smaller. Assuming some linear scaling, the works out to about 95 psi. Then the 4000-23 is probably more like a 25.

If course conditions are reasonable I would always default to a bit lower. The Marginal Gains podcast has a bunch of episodes on this stuff. You might try listening to that for some more info

It's a 10% difference from a C2 to a Plus rim with a 23mm tire at 90psi. give or take 3cc (I measured 990cc for plus, 903cc for C2) 10% lower volume on the C2, so 10% higher psi on that rim.
Roughly speaking.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: Another tire pressure question - Hed Jet C2 rims / Conti GP 4000Sii 700x23 tires [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, the HED website recommends ~80psi for someone the OP's weight on a 23mm tire. I'm not sure which rim their talking about with that recommendation, though. I assume something wider than the OP's C2 rim. Would you recommend 88psi or higher for the OP?

Steve

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go 175 lbs. On those old (23mm) rims with 23mm tires I ran 70-75 psi. For 195lbs 85 front and 90 rear would be your high end starting point - I would think you'll probably come down some from there.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: Another tire pressure question - Hed Jet C2 rims / Conti GP 4000Sii 700x23 tires [andy tetmeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.

Steve

Quote Reply