Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another fallen
Quote | Reply
https://www.gwcommonwealth.com/...c.html#goog_rewarded

I lived there for a year. Rode with Jim many times and still occasionally did on Zwift. He was a super strong rider.

The article makes me even more mad “after colliding with a vehicle”...
Quote Reply
Re: Another fallen [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sad news. Getting way too common. This one is close to home too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The article is a heap of garbage. First it says "collided with a vehicle", like as if Jim ran into the truck and killed himself, later says "[Jim] was hit by a truck", using the passive voice and the apparently driverless truck. No mention of any kind of driver being involved in any of this tragedy. Makes my blood boil.

Changing the status quo comes by holding humans responsible: traffic engineers that design dangerous roads and government agencies that build them, regulators that allow 5000lbs vehicles with grills the height of human heads to operate at unruly speeds around people, MVD's for insufficient drivers education, governments and police departments for lack of enforcement of current laws, however insufficient those laws are at protecting vulnerable road users. Journalists alo need to be held responsible for their shitty reporting that absolves drivers of any responsibility.

Condolences to Jim's friends and family.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Another fallen [Bigbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelling "across" the highway... wonder what that means? indeed sad for all those involved.
Quote Reply
Re: Another fallen [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrTriKat wrote:
The article is a heap of garbage. First it says "collided with a vehicle", like as if Jim ran into the truck and killed himself, later says "[Jim] was hit by a truck", using the passive voice and the apparently driverless truck. No mention of any kind of driver being involved in any of this tragedy. Makes my blood boil.

Changing the status quo comes by holding humans responsible: traffic engineers that design dangerous roads and government agencies that build them, regulators that allow 5000lbs vehicles with grills the height of human heads to operate at unruly speeds around people, MVD's for insufficient drivers education, governments and police departments for lack of enforcement of current laws, however insufficient those laws are at protecting vulnerable road users. Journalists alo need to be held responsible for their shitty reporting that absolves drivers of any responsibility.

I'm getting tired of this "age of outrage". https://www.wlbt.com/...es-bayou-blues-race/

LEFLORE COUNTY, Miss. (WLBT) - A Clinton man was killed during the 12th annual Bikes, Blues, and Bayou race Saturday morning.
He has been identified as 50-year-old James L. O’Daniel.
According to MHP Sgt. Ronnie Shive, troopers were at the intersection of Hwy 8 and 82 to direct traffic during the race. Around 7:40 a.m., troopers were in the process of stopping traffic to let a group of bikers through and once cyclist continued through the intersection before all traffic was stopped. Trooper Shive said it appeared cyclist had headphones in.

A major group of the bikers had stopped, but the cyclist continued through the intersection and was hit by a truck. He died instantly.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Another fallen [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not what I read elsewhere. I rode with him many times and never saw him zoom through a stop sign.

So fuck you and your age of outrage comment.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT wrote:
DrTriKat wrote:

I'm getting tired of this "age of outrage". https://www.wlbt.com/...es-bayou-blues-race/

LEFLORE COUNTY, Miss. (WLBT) - A Clinton man was killed during the 12th annual Bikes, Blues, and Bayou race Saturday morning.
According to MHP Sgt. Ronnie Shive, troopers were at the intersection of Hwy 8 and 82 to direct traffic during the race. Around 7:40 a.m., troopers were in the process of stopping traffic to let a group of bikers through and once cyclist continued through the intersection before all traffic was stopped. Trooper Shive said it appeared cyclist had headphones in.

A major group of the bikers had stopped, but the cyclist continued through the intersection and was hit by a truck. He died instantly.

Headphones in a race?

Group of racing road cyclists stopped at an intersection controlled by a trooper?

The article you posted is an even bigger heap of steaming turds of lies.

Last edited by: DrTriKat: Aug 3, 19 17:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100% agree with you Francois.

Francois wrote:
Not what I read elsewhere. I rode with him many times and never saw him zoom through a stop sign.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:

You're proven my point.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you born a dickhead or you’ve practiced? Stupid fuck.
Quote Reply
Re: Another fallen [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrTriKat wrote:
IT wrote:
DrTriKat wrote:

Ah, the old "cyclist was wearing headphones" blame (because drivers inside a cage with the windows up and the radio on can hear much, much better than any cyclist with headphones, amirite?) Good thing they did not comment on the color of his jersey.

So the intersection was controlled by a trooper, and apparently some traffic had already stopped, and the truck driver went through and T boned Jim, who had the right of way possibly,

Anyhow. Sure, a 200lb man on a bike in an organized ride with officer control and the driver of a multi ton vehicle share the same responsibility.

I do not believe anything that comes out of the mouth of police officers (or the media, who do not do any fact checking of their own, just go around repeating whatever the officers say), because they have extreme windshield bias.

Don't you think it just as plausible that Jim thought all traffic had stopped and that he had the right of way?

It is because of this that I ride with a camera 100% of the time (except in races, in which case my death will be definitely my fault, as there won't be any objective witnesses.)

Yes, we should be angry about the carnage on our roads and don't come at me with any "shared responsibility" crap.

Cheers.

So it's not possible that a good cyclist could be at fault? There are many good people that get in accidents and cause fatalities on and off the bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Are you born a dickhead or you’ve practiced? Stupid fuck.

Thanks again.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do realize I knew Jim, right? You fucking insensitive cunt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:

This site is off the hook today... I’m sorry for your loss François :(

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:

I am sorry for your loss too. Lashing out will not help in the long run. We all feel the loss when tragedy occurs on the bike because we all love riding so much-particularly riding with friends.

Let’s see what the investigation brings but please try to keep it civil.

Dale
Quote Reply
Re: Another fallen [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois is an OG and gets a grace period on incivility on this one.
Quote Reply