Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another dirty masters doper busted
Quote | Reply
U.S. Triathlon Athlete Michael Meacham Accepts Sanction for Anti-Doping Rule Violation
June 29, 2018
USADA announced today that Michael Meacham, of Pennsburg, Pa., an athlete in the sport of triathlon, has accepted a one-year sanction after an anti-doping rule violation.
Meacham, 42, tested positive for methenolone and its metabolites, as well as exogenous boldenone, following an out-of-competition urine sample he provided on August 19, 2017. His urine sample confirmed positive for exogenous boldenone by analysis using a specialized test that differentiates between anabolic-androgenic steroids naturally produced by the body and prohibited anabolic agents of external origin. The use of anabolic agents is prohibited at all times under the USADA Protocol for Olympic and Paralympic Movement Testing, the United States Olympic Committee National Anti-Doping Policies, and the International Triathlon Union Anti-Doping Rules, all of which have adopted the World Anti-Doping Code and the WADA Prohibited List.
During USADA’s investigation into the circumstances of the case, Meacham also admitted that, beginning in November 2013, he had periodically used additional prohibited substances. But because of the substantial assistance provided that led to the discovery and bringing forward of a criminal offense, Meacham’s one-year period of ineligibility was reduced from four years.
Meacham’s one-year period of ineligibility began on August 19, 2017, the date his positive sample was collected. In addition, Meacham has been disqualified from all competitive results obtained on and subsequent to November 1, 2013, including forfeiture of any medals, points and prizes.
In an effort to aid athletes, as well as support team members such as parents and coaches, in understanding the rules applicable to them, USADA provides comprehensive instruction on its website on the testing process and prohibited substances, how to obtain permission to use a necessary medication, and the risks and dangers of taking supplements as well as performance-enhancing and recreational drugs. In addition, USADA manages a drug reference hotline, Global Drug Reference Online (www.GlobalDRO.com), conducts educational sessions with National Governing Bodies and their athletes, and proactively distributes a multitude of educational materials, such as the Prohibited List, easy-reference wallet cards, periodic newsletters, and protocol and policy reference documentation.
Along with education and testing, robust anti-doping programs enable investigations stemming from tips and whistleblowers. USADA makes available a number of ways to report the abuse of performance-enhancing drugs in sport in an effort to protect clean athletes and promote clean competition. Any tip can be reported using the USADA Play Clean Tip Center, by email at playclean@usada.org, by phone at 1-877-Play Clean (1-877-752-9253) or by mail.
USADA is responsible for the testing and results management process for athletes in the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Movement, and is equally dedicated to preserving the integrity of sport through research initiatives and educational programs.

https://www.usada.org/...pts-doping-sanction/

1 year seems kind of ridiculous for someone who was doping for at least 5 years. i wonder what the criminal offense was. he also sucked and was doing 6 hour HM so what was the point of forever soiling his name in order to move a little further up in the BOP? does anyone know the backstory here?
Quote Reply
Re: Another dirty masters doper busted [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:
1 year seems kind of ridiculous for someone who was doping for at least 5 years. i wonder what the criminal offense was.

Speculating, but I'd imagine he turned in his supplier, who was illegally trafficking in controlled substances. Might be more names on the way...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without double letters, it's much harder to prove... Probably just saving time on both sides.
Quote Reply
Re: Another dirty masters doper busted [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
Without double letters, it's much harder to prove... Probably just saving time on both sides.

Does this count?

Michael Meacham
Quote Reply
Re: Another dirty masters doper busted [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Traket92x wrote:

Does this count?

Michael Meacham

I thought that, too

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of competition test? They must have known he was dirty.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Another dirty masters doper busted [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He should get his money back...

https://www.obstri.com/?search=Michael%20Meacham

Quote Reply
Re: Another dirty masters doper busted [pots4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oooooo he snitched on his drug dealer!

Snitches get Stitches!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess you are implying the only reason to take steroids is to go faster. He could have been taking them for a medical condition given the long term usage and that he chose extremely mild steroids with little side effects. I'm not justifying his use. Just saying there are other reasons to taking steroids than increasing speed in a triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Another dirty masters doper busted [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ralph20 wrote:
I guess you are implying the only reason to take steroids is to go faster. He could have been taking them for a medical condition given the long term usage and that he chose extremely mild steroids with little side effects. I'm not justifying his use. Just saying there are other reasons to taking steroids than increasing speed in a triathlon.

Then he should have filled out an exemption form and none of this would have ever happened. Therefore, he is a dirty rotten cheat who snitched on his drug dealer.
To the gallows with him!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a 40-44 age grouper who's gone 5:42 in a 70.3 where he was 62nd in his AG and a 11:50 where he was 96th in his AG.

I feel very unsatisfied. I wonder if you asked how the 63rd place person and 97th place person felt when hearing this news, what would they say? ... these people aren't competitors on race day, they are just out there doing their thing.

Is this really a victory for clean sport in triathlon? No. I hope we can do better than this.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Last edited by: Brandes: Jul 2, 18 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: Another dirty masters doper busted [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am honestly more upset that he snitched on his drug dealer....because that is f*cked up haha
Quote Reply
Re: Another dirty masters doper busted [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Another dirty masters doper busted [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Makes you wonder how it came to be that this individual was even given a OOC test.

good point; not the best use of this expensive process - should be used for suspects "up the food chain" I'd think.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Another dirty masters doper busted [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not call a drug test expensive - especially since an Ironman is $300-700 a race.

They should bust anyone no matter how good they are. We should not try to pursue the guy who robbed a convenience store and got $100 but only go after those who rob banks. Terrible logic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe he was trying to sell or push it on other athletes and one of them turns him in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love to see the average guy get busted for cheating. I'm a MOP and maybe a few more of these busts will cause people to rethink doping because a ban is actually possible. Consequences can drive people to make the right decisions. My 3 year old doesn't clean up his toys because he wants to. He cleans them up because he knows I'll take them away if he doesn't.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: Another dirty masters doper busted [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRugby wrote:
I love to see the average guy get busted for cheating. I'm a MOP and maybe a few more of these busts will cause people to rethink doping because a ban is actually possible. Consequences can drive people to make the right decisions. My 3 year old doesn't clean up his toys because he wants to. He cleans them up because he knows I'll take them away if he doesn't.

I guess we'll have to disagree. In a perfect world with unlimited resources (where we all win the big lottery every day). We'd test everybody every day, etc. But, OOC testing of AG'er IS rare and expensive. I believe priority should be given to those who have the most likelihood of ruining podium and KQ opportunities, I would think value of deterrent effect while not the same for MOP'ers, would still be present. Further: (BDB coming), as a FOP AG'er who's older, I just don't care that much if someone in the BOP takes a PED and moves from 150th to 145th. But, I do look askance, when I see someone in my AG put down times that were heretofore impossible for that individual - It's getting to the point, sadly, where some people assume the podiums are occupied by only "cheaters."

All the above said, I'll have to assume that behind the scenes of this particular case, there were compelling reasons to go after this individual, because it is unusual.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Another dirty masters doper busted [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRugby wrote:

(gasp) You're a monster! haha

My dad used to threaten to take a hammer to them. I'd leave them out and they would get taken away and no biggie, I will play with my others. Then he threatened to destroy them with a hammer so I'd never get to play with that toy again. I thought I was a smart 6 year old and called his bluff....watching my skateboard get broken with a hammer still scars me today. I also - to this day - 23 years later - make damn sure I don't leave anything on the front porch when I visit my parents haha
Quote Reply
Re: Another dirty masters doper busted [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
TriRugby wrote:

(gasp) You're a monster! haha

My dad used to threaten to take a hammer to them. I'd leave them out and they would get taken away and no biggie, I will play with my others. Then he threatened to destroy them with a hammer so I'd never get to play with that toy again. I thought I was a smart 6 year old and called his bluff....watching my skateboard get broken with a hammer still scars me today. I also - to this day - 23 years later - make damn sure I don't leave anything on the front porch when I visit my parents haha

Your dad was Mallory Archer?

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply