Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Another challenge for Bolt?
Quote | Reply
Mike Powell said that he believes Bolt could jump farther than 9m...could we see Bolt at the long jump? How about 100-200-400-Long jump?
Quote Reply
Re: Another challenge for Bolt? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longjump, not going to happen. I think it is much more likely to see him in the 400 at some point in the future.

Yes, I shave my legs. Yes, I am comfortable with this. I am enlightened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Another challenge for Bolt? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he's going to sprint ahead of Cavendish, on his feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The real question is .... How much would he win in Kona by?
Quote Reply
Re: Another challenge for Bolt? [spirogeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know. But Lance said that the whole thunder acting, the parade etc were childish. Contador wants Bolt in his team though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait a second, Lance calling someone(else) childish? Bolt is a funny dude, very playful.

Yes, I shave my legs. Yes, I am comfortable with this. I am enlightened.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How fast wil he run across the Sahara, thats the question

Peace

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A number of the great 100/200 athletes have done the long jump and excelled at it, so that one seems plausible. Carl Lewis and Jesse Owens are two that immediately come to mind.

But the 400? I can't recall any guys that have excelled in the 100 also doing the 400. Not to say he couldn't, but the training is much much different. Most either do the 200/400 (i.e. Michael Johnson) or the 100/200 but not all three.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't know. But Lance said that the whole thunder acting, the parade etc were childish. Contador wants Bolt in his team though.

bolts only like 15 years old so..

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't know. But Lance said that the whole thunder acting, the parade etc were childish.
Now that is funny!

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Another challenge for Bolt? [jpflores] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he might be able to do his usual 200 then just sorta dive and skid along the ground the next 200 for the win

In Reply To:
A number of the great 100/200 athletes have done the long jump and excelled at it, so that one seems plausible. Carl Lewis and Jesse Owens are two that immediately come to mind.

But the 400? I can't recall any guys that have excelled in the 100 also doing the 400. Not to say he couldn't, but the training is much much different. Most either do the 200/400 (i.e. Michael Johnson) or the 100/200 but not all three.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Another challenge for Bolt? [bloomers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bolt is a funny dude, very playful.

Indeed.

I note that in the space of a year, he has turned that, pre race panning of the race field from a somber and sober review of all race participants that they do on TV at every big track event, where everyone had that stern and serious no expression "game-face" on, to this absurd theater of each competitor trying to out-mug the next. Now everyone is trying to do a "Bolt" for the cameras before the race start!

It's something I am still trying to live with and get used to.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Another challenge for Bolt? [jpflores] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

True enough, but then Bolt didn't/doesn't fit the traditional mold of a classic 100 guy, either. It's really only in the last ~1/3 of the race that he blows everyone else away. The 200 honestly looks like more his natural strong suit, and just watching him run, his stride length appears so much more efficient that the guys trying to chase him, it's hard NOT to picture him "coasting" another 200 in 22-23 sec. So far, I think he's taken to the 100 because it's more glory and less work than the 400, but that doesn't mean he wouldn't be even more dominant moving up to the longer distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Another challenge for Bolt? [TriUno83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good point, his gait is more like Edwin Moses than Ben Johnson.

Maybe he should try the hurdles.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Re: Another challenge for Bolt? [ivansie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How fast wil he run across the Sahara, thats the question

Peace

He can surely beat Stoltz in an Xterra and Chuck Norris in a fight too!
Quote Reply
Re: Another challenge for Bolt? [TriUno83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's really only in the last ~1/3 of the race that he blows everyone else away.

That doesn't really seem to be true anymore.

From 40 on it looks like he dominates.

-Jot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd LOVE to see him race Bekele on the 800. Bekele was quite cocky about it.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Mike Powell said that he believes Bolt could jump farther than 9m...could we see Bolt at the long jump? How about 100-200-400-Long jump?

It would be fun to watch him try.

I bet he could get some great press just by attempting it, without any real training.
Quote Reply
Re: Another challenge for Bolt? [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed that...Bekele said he wanted to race Bolt in an 800?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Bolt turned 23 today and has a few years left to peak in the 100/200; there is no reason for him to think about the 400m (other than some sort of staged "celebrity race," of which promoters will likely pressure him to participate in) before London 2012. Anyway, injuries can hit the best of them and slow down careers (look at Gay).

2. His antics before the race are unique and entertaining. He is a very likeable fellow (I'm sure there are a few out there who find it distasteful, but that is their problem). It appears that his fellow athletes like him as well. At the same time, the antics bely the most amazing self-confidence and focus I have ever seen in a sprinter. Look what he has done over the past 12 mths under the most pressurized conditions.

3. He is the most dominant sprinter in history for his time period; his margins of victory are unprecedented.

4. For the 400m, he might have to trim down a little and develop some speed endurance, which is why he's better suited for that after a few more years of 100/200. Unfortunately, track meet schedules for major events like the Olympics would make it virtually impossible for him to run the 100/200/400.

5. As for Bekele - right now I think he would have a good chance of beating Bolt in the 400m. Bekele put down a 53 second last lap a couple of years ago in the 5000m - he has extraordinary speed. As for the 800m, that's laughable - Bolt would be dead on the track by 600m.
Quote Reply
Re: Another challenge for Bolt? [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rightfully so. Bekele would destroy Bolt in an 800. Not even close.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Re: Another challenge for Bolt? [peterkonecny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I certainly would NOT bet on Bekele for a 400m. Agreed on the 800m. But on the 400m, not a chance in the world for Bekele. Bolt has already run a 45.30 at 19 without specific training for the 400m.

Bekele would lose and that wouldn't be close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I certainly would NOT bet on Bekele for a 400m. Agreed on the 800m. But on the 400m, not a chance in the world for Bekele. Bolt has already run a 45.30 at 19 without specific training for the 400m.

Quote Reply
Re: Another challenge for Bolt? [peterkonecny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I think 600M is about the cross over point where Bekele would be stronger. At 800M it would even be close.

Dave in VA
Quote Reply

Prev Next