Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)?
Quote | Reply
Anyone else hear that today's Steelhead race is a duathlon?
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
im about to call merrie (aarons wife) is those rumors are halfwy true.

in other notes, id like to point out that the originator of this post, posted it at 6:20am or some crazy time!

//semi retired - old school = http://www.iwilltri.com //
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [hectorguatemala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No dude, it was 8:20 here! Give her a call...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim was cancelled - race got delayed an hour.

2.1 mile run, 56 mile bike, 13.1 run.

chris legh showed up...I did not see the start list...

2,600 people now - that has grown since i did it back in 06 (now everyone has figured out about qualifying for clearwater :) ).

i guess the bike is really crazy with that many people on the bike at same time..obviously.

thats what im hearing for the wife of my best friend.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why was the swim cancelled? Heavy Surf?

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [Ti T'war] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mer said that yes they were saying that it was too rough. Ill have to get aarons perspective on it since when he did im florida in 2006 it was also pretty rough from what i remember...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With people dying every weekend, we'll have a lot more swims canceled in the future. It's a shame, but massification is killing OUR sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [celticfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
With people dying every weekend, we'll have a lot more swims canceled in the future. It's a shame, but massification is killing OUR sport.
It might be killing it now but it ruined it a long time ago

----------------------------------------------------------

"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life".
Zappa
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [KonaDreamer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To
With people dying every weekend, we'll have a lot more swims canceled in the future. It's a shame, but massification is killing OUR sport.[/reply] It might be killing it now but it ruined it a long time ago

How so?
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [WIdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To

How so?[/reply] Don't you know that he (like many on this forum) want triathlon to have top of the line TV coverage, top of the line technical innovations, top of the line sports nutrition, top of the line clothing...and all while limiting it to a select group of people.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [Condo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To

How so?
Don't you know that he (like many on this forum) want triathlon to have top of the line TV coverage, top of the line technical innovations, top of the line sports nutrition, top of the line clothing...and all while limiting it to a select group of people.[/reply] Yes, but I want him/her to say it so I can justify being put of by the response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone seen any results? According to IM.com, it would appear the athlete tracking should be enabled for this event, but I'm not seeing anything:

For more information on the Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon, or to track your athlete on August 2, please visit http://www.ironman.com.

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's so odd --I was at the expo yesterday (Friday). It was a hot and humid 90 something degrees, but the water was flat as a pancake. They reversed the direction of the swim so that it would be WITH the current, and of course the bike course changed... but there was no talk of a du. There's a lovely breeze on the Chicago side of Lake Michigan now, so maybe this low pressure system kicked up some waves. It's really too bad for all of the competitors, masses or otherwise. =(

Tweet WattsUpKarin Blargh
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Athlete tracking is VERY difficult to get to for this. I had to take a very specific path. Here's the link:

http://ironman.com/...id=162&year=2008

Reach for what you cannot.

-Percy Cerruty
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [WIdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To

How so?
Don't you know that he (like many on this forum) want triathlon to have top of the line TV coverage, top of the line technical innovations, top of the line sports nutrition, top of the line clothing...and all while limiting it to a select group of people.
Yes, but I want him/her to say it so I can justify being put of by the response.[/reply] Thanks for speaking for me douche bag.

Triathlons are over crowded and over priced by people who think they can change their sad pathetic lives buy running one. Like it is some sort of holy grail. Hey I finished an ironman I can accomplish anything now. I think I will go get a tattoo and let everyone else know it to. Never realizing they could do anything they want anyways. Like anything else in this world it is a business with an expressed purpose of making money, I understand that. i.e. Like climbing Mt Everest, anyone with a fat wallet can do it. Do you think it was the businessmen/ women who were on the cutting edge of climbing equipment? Besides when bikes are commonly costing over 5k there is a problem. It will not sustain itself in todays economy. So IMHO it has been ruined.
Take it as you will.

"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life".
Zappa
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what were the distances?

Best,

Herbert
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [TexRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect, thanks!

Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few posts up indicate a 2.1 mile run, 56 mile bike and then the 1/2 mary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why was the swim cancelled? Heavy Surf?
There is a US Severe Weather Alert for the water today which states dangerous swimming conditions.
Last edited by: Raptor: Aug 2, 08 10:40
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [KonaDreamer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To

How so?
Don't you know that he (like many on this forum) want triathlon to have top of the line TV coverage, top of the line technical innovations, top of the line sports nutrition, top of the line clothing...and all while limiting it to a select group of people.
Yes, but I want him/her to say it so I can justify being put of by the response.
Thanks for speaking for me douche bag.

Triathlons are over crowded and over priced by people who think they can change their sad pathetic lives buy running one. Like it is some sort of holy grail. Hey I finished an ironman I can accomplish anything now. I think I will go get a tattoo and let everyone else know it to. Never realizing they could do anything they want anyways. Like anything else in this world it is a business with an expressed purpose of making money, I understand that. i.e. Like climbing Mt Everest, anyone with a fat wallet can do it. Do you think it was the businessmen/ women who were on the cutting edge of climbing equipment? Besides when bikes are commonly costing over 5k there is a problem. It will not sustain itself in todays economy. So IMHO it has been ruined.
Take it as you will.[/reply] Wow, you are a very angry person. Usually exercise helps people with anger issues, but, apparently, not in your case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To

How so?
Yes, but I want him/her to say it so I can justify being put of by the response.
Thanks for speaking for me douche bag.

Take it as you will.
Wow, you are a very angry person. Usually exercise helps people with anger issues, but, apparently, not in your case.[/reply] No I just like to post and see what kind of uptight a-holes are lurking. :)

Zappa
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just chatted with Chris Legh and congratulated him on his win. He said the waters were rough and choppy but would likely have been fine for most to swim in. But they apparently had a rough time keeping the buoys in line.

H
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Wow, you are a very angry person. Usually exercise helps people with anger issues, but, apparently, not in your case.

I don't know about that. I hope that I don't offend anyone with what I am about to say, but I say it from having the perspective of being involved in this great sport from the early days. What's different is that back in the early days we did not do the longer races until we were really ready to do them. Athletes and RD's were not too concerned about rough conditions on the swim and other weather related issues because, people were really ready to handle those conditions. On the whole we were a much more experienced and hardier lot.

These days people are jumping right up to the 1/2 and full IM distance within a year of getting into the sport! Many, are fair-weather trainers. Many have not experienced at all what it is like to ride 56 miles or 112 miles in a howling gale, or to negociate 3 foot chop on the swim. I met a woman at IMFL last year. She was doing the race, but had never swum in open water before. Never worn a wetsuit before. Never swam longer than 2K( in a pool). If I was an RD, this sort of person would be giving me absolute nightmares!! It's a free country and a free and open sport - anyone can do anything they want. But clearly common sense is getting tossed out the window by more than a few people.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KonaDreamer- Surely you could have just looked in the mirror instead of coming here and being an angry troll.

Fleck- I agree with most of what you say, the key being how you say it....you don't don't sound like some angry little man.
Quote Reply
Re: Another cancelled swim (Steelhead)? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Total agreement.

Same with marathons. Only, it's tougher to drown while running.

Why does everyone have to climb everest before walking up the town hill? Not saying that it can't be done, and done succesfully, but why risk it. ME, Ironman seems ludacris. I couldn't stay focused that long. I might do a half next year, but only if I have an honest chance of getting close to or under 5 hours. Now, I don't have the time committment to train for that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next