Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another Tubular Newbie Thread
Quote | Reply
My wife bought a new Liv tribike with a tubular wheelset. We are two weeks from IMTX and she is asking me about what to do with flats and what to carry with her. I have no experience on tubulars and from searching this forum it seems like a bad idea to have tubulars if you have no experience. Add to that we have gotten more snow this weekend with the forecast making it unlikely to get any outdoor rides before heading south for the race. Should I:

1) Purchase some Pitstop or similar and hope it works as advertised if there is an issue.
2) Switch her to a spare Zipp 606 wheelset that I have and keep her on clinchers
3) Set her up with a spare tire, knife, CO2 etc and hope she doesn't panic in the moment and can get the job done if a tire blows out?
4) Send her with a knife and a spare butyl and have her try to add a tube to the tubular set up and if there was an issue hope it wasn't a sidewall?
5) Other?

I know there have been similar threads but I'm at a loss on this one, especially since she didn't finish the bike last year I would hate for a tire issue to end her day this time.

Thanks,

Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Another Tubular Newbie Thread [wjoiner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given two weeks until her big race, not finishing the bike last year, and limited experience with tubulars, I'd suggest choice #2. Keep her on the clinchers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the limited information in your post, tubulars definitely don't feel like the right choice for your wife.

I'd go with option 2, but if she wants to use the wheels : use new tubular tires preloaded with sealant (2 oz of orange seal will do the trick) and have her carry a spare (used tub, because it's pre stretched and pre glued - NOT A NEW TUB) and CO2. Make sure she knows how to rip a tub off the wheel and install the new one (ask someone you know who uses them). You could have her install the fresh rubber next week so she rides the new setup pre race to make sure everything is working properly.

On the plus side, the odds of getting a flat seem lower with tubulars (no pinch flats) and it's also safer as a flat tubular tire stays glued to the rim so it minimises chance of hitting the ground if flatting at high speed.

PS: carrying a tube in option 4 makes no sense. Tu tube is essentially sewn into the tire in tubulars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can she change a flat with clinchers? If so, have her run your clincher set. (#2)

If she is new to changing out any flat, go with option #3. I duct tape a razor blade to seat post or aero wing. As long as razor blade rests flat on surface, it will not do any harm. If she needs to change, have her cut the tube so she can easily stick a finger inside the tube and strip off rim. Then it is just stretching the new tubular on and take the corners easy until T2.

Just my 0.02, I've run both clincher and tubular, I now race only on tubular.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar question recently. The advice was swap to clinchers and so I have decided to swap to clinchers. I had to buy new wheels. I just wasn't confident in changing the tub and wasn't about to have my first IM ruined by a flat I couldn't fix.

If you have spare clinchers already makes sense to use them. Enough to worry about on race day without having that hanging over you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Number 2 is probably your safest bet. As others have mentioned, the best spare for riding Tubs is a used tubular, that already has residual glue on it, which will bind with the residual glue on the rim, and is already stretched for a rim. I would never want to use a new, unstretched tub as a spare in a race. changing tubulars is easier and faster than changing clinchers, not to mention that a tubular flat is more likely to be rideable than a clincher flat.

If she really wants to ride the new rims, she can go the pitstop approach, that will handle the majority of issues that she could run into, but after this race, if you are not planning to sell those wheels, it's worth her learning how to mount/change tubulars properly, so that she's not SOL in a race... it doesn't take too much time to learn, and will go a long way. even if you fully intend to have an LBS do all of your new tubular installations, it's still worth knowing and keeping an old tub around for mid race uses...

When I rode tubular, I always did my own glueing, but fortunately never had to change one in a race, I did flat cooling down from a time trial at one point, and I didn't have a spare with me that day, so I learned my lesson in the 8km walk home...
Quote Reply
Re: Another Tubular Newbie Thread [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ever feel like an idiot? Well I finally got a hold of the bike shop who my wife worded with and he said the tires are tubeless and not tubular.

Again, I don't have any familiarity with tubeless but his explanation made sense to be able to bring a spare tube and a patch in case of any issues. He said the Stan's sealer that he put in will take care of any small holes automatically so the risk of a flat is minimal.

I guess my question then is why aren't we all running tubeless? There must be a downside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wjoiner wrote:
Ever feel like an idiot? Well I finally got a hold of the bike shop who my wife worded with and he said the tires are tubeless and not tubular.

Again, I don't have any familiarity with tubeless but his explanation made sense to be able to bring a spare tube and a patch in case of any issues. He said the Stan's sealer that he put in will take care of any small holes automatically so the risk of a flat is minimal.

I guess my question then is why aren't we all running tubeless? There must be a downside.

Set up sometimes requires a compressor or fancy tricks to get the tire bead to seat without all the air blowing out. In the event that you flat, adding a tube on the side of the road can be a very messy process and tubeless tires tend to be more difficult to seat on the rim with a tube in them. The tires without tubes are already meant to be a tight fit. I've seen guys break levers and constantly have to reseat the tire because when they do get the last part of the bead over the rim wall it's pinching the tube.

So there are pros and cons. Until you actually work with it yourself, you won't know if the benefits are worth it to you. I only know 3 people who have tried it, and all of them switched back to tubes after their 2nd flat. Where I live, there is lots of debris that can cause punctures that sealant at 80 psi won't cure. You just get white jizz spraying out of your tire all over your bike and anyone who might be riding around you.

For mountain biking, where you're running a lot lower pressure, the sealant tends to work a lot better. So if you ride in an area where you rarely puncture, it can be a good solution.
Quote Reply