Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Another Specialized Pro with Speed Bars: Lucy Charles
Quote | Reply
https://www.instagram.com/p/B15m2o3lkPC/

Since Tim Done also has Speed Bars on his rig, does anyone think all Specialized athletes will have these on their rig at Kona?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Specialized Pro with Speed Bars: Lucy Charles [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The WattShop guys were saying they save 10 watts over round bars. That might be a bit optimistic if you have standard tubing tucked n pretty tight, but at that level even 5 watts is probably worth it.

My other prediction is that the UCI bans these next year for cycling,
Quote Reply
Re: Another Specialized Pro with Speed Bars: Lucy Charles [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope not. With the frame designs stalled due to the UCI rules, I love what folks are doing with the extensions. I just can’t justify their price at the moment.

Right now I know of 4 groups that are pushing this. The cheapest is the nearly stock WattShop at about $850, Len Lochmiller’s 100% custom to match your arm/position/bike (look at Ashton Lambie’s pursuit bikes) and the Russian CustomizerBike are about $1500 and I’ve heard the Speedbar setup is well above that.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Specialized Pro with Speed Bars: Lucy Charles [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
I hope not. With the frame designs stalled due to the UCI rules, I love what folks are doing with the extensions. I just can’t justify their price at the moment.

Right now I know of 4 groups that are pushing this. The cheapest is the nearly stock WattShop at about $850, Len Lochmiller’s 100% custom to match your arm/position/bike (look at Ashton Lambie’s pursuit bikes) and the Russian CustomizerBike are about $1500 and I’ve heard the Speedbar setup is well above that.

To be legal I think Pinarello has to offer their 3D printed Ti bars as an option, which are a cool $11,000. Ridley is/was offering the ones Campenaerts used for somewhere in that 1500 dollar range as well.

The funny thing is that a friend of mine cooked the basic fairing idea up and hand made something very similar about 5 years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Specialized Pro with Speed Bars: Lucy Charles [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Ohio_Roadie wrote:

To be legal I think Pinarello has to offer their 3D printed Ti bars as an option, which are a cool $11,000. Ridley is/was offering the ones Campenaerts used for somewhere in that 1500 dollar range as well.

The funny thing is that a friend of mine cooked the basic fairing idea up and hand made something very similar about 5 years ago.

Campanaerts used Speedbar --> https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Speedbar_7230.html

Maybe Ridley is selling something "similar" but Ridley didn't actually make what Campanaerts used. Oh, and they run about $3000ish.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To add to this - Susie Cheetham has a crude, but probably effective, carbon fairing on her extensions: https://www.instagram.com/...igshid=17ulhpbeos710

Then, there’s this guy’s design: https://instagram.com/...igshid=1er5dn3q1op3c
He posted, but since deleted, that he was working with Dreitz - so I anticipate Andi will have these bars soon before Kona.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Another Specialized Pro with Speed Bars: Lucy Charles [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's also the Drag2zero ones which are in limited release at the moment but are the cheapest option out there and look great.
Also likely one of the lighter options compared to the others.

Those Speedbars seem quite heavy - going off the weight of D MacNamee's P5disc at 9.95kg...

But as as know weight isn't much in long distance tri. Except perhaps at Nice 70.3 this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Specialized Pro with Speed Bars: Lucy Charles [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the common person behind Don, Lucy, Cheetham, and Lotto Soudal is Matthew Bottrill...
Quote Reply
Re: Another Specialized Pro with Speed Bars: Lucy Charles [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fazz wrote:
There's also the Drag2zero ones which are in limited release at the moment but are the cheapest option out there and look great.

Have you seen a price on them. They've been saying they'll be release "next week" for a few months now.

I have a set of the wattshop bars, which are really well done.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Another Specialized Pro with Speed Bars: Lucy Charles [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
Fazz wrote:

Have you seen a price on them. They've been saying they'll be release "next week" for a few months now.

Yep, you can get the poles, forearm pad and ergo grip for around the ÂŁ250 which is excellent by comparison.

They seem to have been inundated with demand and manage a waiting list as parts are manufactured.
Not surprised for what looks a very tidy setup for a fraction of some of the others. Similar function in my opinion, debatable whether a couple watts lost in cylindrical shape by arm vs the curved flat edge of the speedbar I guess.
Both serve to reduce gap of bar and arms so I'm very happy to stick with drag2zero.
Hope to have mine fitted in a weeks time - will revert back after riding then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:

We'll have something too. We're finishing off a project at the moment which you'll see during the track world cups, and from that there'll be a commercial product. We've been in very close discussion with the UCI about what we're doing which makes things take longer, but does help future proof designs.

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Another Specialized Pro with Speed Bars: Lucy Charles [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fazz wrote:
Ex-cyclist wrote:
Fazz wrote:

Yep, you can get the poles, forearm pad and ergo grip for around the ÂŁ250 which is excellent by comparison.

They seem to have been inundated with demand and manage a waiting list as parts are manufactured.
Not surprised for what looks a very tidy setup for a fraction of some of the others. Similar function in my opinion, debatable whether a couple watts lost in cylindrical shape by arm vs the curved flat edge of the speedbar I guess.
Both serve to reduce gap of bar and arms so I'm very happy to stick with drag2zero.
Hope to have mine fitted in a weeks time - will revert back after riding then.

That's a super good price. They look sharp and probably not as fiddley.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is competitively priced. Saw them a while back on IG but like Heath said... never saw an update.

I like the idea of them (at least the more "accessibly priced" ones) but I sort of feel like I'd have to try them to commit.

That said, it's not super clear if there is the possibility of adjustment on the D2Z's.

Also like Mike... I worry about a banning incoming.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, definitely not 10 watts. Closer to 5. Point of clarification: Len Lochmiller's are going through UCI certification now and will be sold under the ERO brand. They will be on all USA Cycling bikes for Tokyo. Non-custom will also be available. Ashton's shape (Getaway Sticks or ERO Sticks) as well as another (Contour) will be sold for both track and road.

We have independent test numbers but won't be able to release them before Tokyo. Maybe I'll send some to Heath before his next tunel session so he can test them.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Another Specialized Pro with Speed Bars: Lucy Charles [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The AeroTics bars look like someone saw a Trek/Bontrager bar and turned the dial to 11.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Specialized Pro with Speed Bars: Lucy Charles [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bring back TJ’s athletic cup and lunch box fairing

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Another Specialized Pro with Speed Bars: Lucy Charles [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think that any drag savings are a bonus. What intrigues me most about this type of set up is the potential for significant increase in comfort which leads to the ability to stay aero longer and, well, just be more comfortable.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 4, 19 12:25
Quote Reply
Re: Another Specialized Pro with Speed Bars: Lucy Charles [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Bring back TJ’s athletic cup and lunch box fairing

FTW!!!! Jox n' box!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Another Specialized Pro with Speed Bars: Lucy Charles [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shoot me an email. Will be interesting to compare the WattShop one's to Len's. I went Wattshop since I they were available.

Heath Dotson
Quote Reply
Re: Another Specialized Pro with Speed Bars: Lucy Charles [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a few editions of Len's in my hands and I can vouch for how nice they are. It would be interesting to see how they fare in the tunnel.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Specialized Pro with Speed Bars: Lucy Charles [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
I think the common person behind Don, Lucy, Cheetham, and Lotto Soudal is Matthew Bottrill...

Who also has speedbars on his TT rig.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And a big Fuck You to the UCI

grumpier.mike wrote:
The WattShop guys were saying they save 10 watts over round bars. That might be a bit optimistic if you have standard tubing tucked n pretty tight, but at that level even 5 watts is probably worth it.

My other prediction is that the UCI bans these next year for cycling,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tririg is making cups too. Saw a teaser email about that.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Specialized Pro with Speed Bars: Lucy Charles [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
And a big Fuck You to the UCI

UCI bashing at its best.

The intention of the UCI rules is to prevent aero fairings and in the end to prevent recumbent bikes in racing. At least I do not want to be forced to race with a recumbent bike.

All these bars which came up in the last times are clearly fairings for the arms. These bars may not against the actual wording of the rules but are clearly against the spirits of the rules.
The inventors know this but are pushing the limits further and further and then complain when the wording of the rules is changed.
Last edited by: BergHugi: Sep 5, 19 1:32
Quote Reply
Re: Another Specialized Pro with Speed Bars: Lucy Charles [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are misunderstanding. We are talking about triathletes in a triathlon forum, so yes fuck off UCI
Quote Reply

Prev Next