Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another Bike Fit Question
Quote | Reply
Here's the deal According to the Bike shop I am working with I have a crotch to floor measurement that puts me in a CT frame measurement of 51.9. A starting point for the Top Tube measurement is 53.5, Supposively I have a torso that is longer in ratio to my legs?? I went to the shop looking for a soloist and found the best fit to be a 54 (Top Tube is 54). The Bike shop owner said the fit looked pretty good, he would probably make some changes to stem, etc. Is it common to go to a larger bike and decrease the stem length? Will this affect the bike when I switch to the 76 degree position?
Quote Reply
Re: Another Bike Fit Question [Stewart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have some degree of range using a stem. Look at the Giant TCR for example where they only make three basic frame sizes. A friend of mine is two inches taller than me but rides the same medium frame as do I. We both feel totally dialed in on the bike but he uses a longer stem and has his seat post higher. However, you should avoid stems at the extreme range of short/long as these can effect handling characteristics. You should probably be moving to a different size frame if this is the case.

There is no real theoretical formula for top tube length like there is for seat height or frame sze. Raising your handlebars up effectively shortens your top tube length while putting them down lengthens it. Where you feel the most comfortable with your handlebars is likely a function of your low back flexibility.

Moving your seat forward on a Soloist will shift the weight forward, but not enough to cause all the much concern unless on fast tight curves. This was a design consideration when Cervelo made this bike. I ran my TCR with it's similiar compact geometry at 75/76 degrees and it felt fine. At 78 degrees with a forward post it didn't feel good at all to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second what cerveloguy says but request more fit info. How tall are you? What is your (accurate) inseam in cm.? How will you be using the bike?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other thing to add. Tom, will have a good chuckle about this but here's a trick that an old Italian bike mechanic told me for determining your top tube for a road bike. Place your elbow at the tip of your seat with your arm bent to 90 degrees. Outstretch your fingers.The tip of your middle finger should be about a couple of inches from the handlebars. I wouldn't have believed it myself, but believe it or not, this works perfect for me every time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guys thanks for ya'll help, Tom I am 67" tall 171.45cm my inseam is 31 inches 78.74cm. Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be using it for mostly training and Triathlon racing, This will be my only bike. I think the guy who owned the bike said something about may 2cm shorter stem? I don't remeber precisely. Man I wish your bike shop was 1100 miles closer.
Quote Reply