Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Another BarryP success story
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to add my name to the list of people who have had success running the 'BarryP style'. For those that don't know, it's a pretty complex plan: Run a bunch, be super consistent, and don't thrash yourself.

Last season my run program was a bit of a mess. I was only running three days per week and almost every run contained some sort of interval or tempo. This was after a ~5 year layoff from serious running. I wasn't getting any consistent miles because I was too thrashed from the workouts to run any more often. St. George 2017 was my 53rd run of the year, and I ran 1:55 (with a three minute emergency nature break).

Needless to say, I realized I needed to do something different this year, so I decided to adopt the BarryP 3:2:1 approach (if your weekly mileage is x, then you do three runs of x/10, two runs of x/5, and one of 3x/10). I started at 12 miles in the week of Jan 1 and built up to 10 straight week of 40 mpw leading up to St.G this year. After six or seven weeks of build, I introduced a little intensity, sometimes in the form of a fast finish long run (something like 5 miles at 8:30 pace followed by 7 miles at ~7:30 pace), but more often in the form of a tempo run (two mile WU in ~18 minutes, 5 miles hard tempo, always trying to break 35:00, one mile easy). Today (St.G race day) was my 107th run of 2018, and I ran 1:42. That is especially sweet, given how absurdly hard this course is, and that my all time PR is 1:37, on a flat flat course circa 2009 when I was running about 2000 miles per year. I've never been a 'good' runner, but today I was strong and didn't buckle in the heat.

Tomorrow will be my first 'missed' run of the year, but I'm looking forward to keeping the consistency going. Thanks to BarryP and all the others who wrote on his threads (I've read them over and over).

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Another BarryP success story [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's a pretty complex plan: Run a bunch, be super consistent,

Actually it's pretty simple. Many people over-think it and make it too complicated.

For those with a weak running base ( which is a majority of triathletes*), the game-plan is very straight-forward - just start running, almost every day of the week, even for just 20 minutes. The trick is running an amount and intensity that is repeatable, day after, after day, after day, after day . . . etc . . Maybe have one run during the week that is a bit longer. Keep this up for a month, better yet for 2 months, and almost everyone who does this, if they rest for a few days, records a 5K or 10k race PB - just like that. From just running - no fancy intervals, no detailed zone work . . just run!

Doing this significantly deepens run training base fitness. Increases your durability and efficiency. It's all win/win/win

Your second point is the key one - the "secret" her is the consistency of repeating the running, EVERY day.

*When I watch a triathlon these days, I'm shocked with how slow many are running. This represents a REAL opportunity for those who want to take elevating their run fitness and performance in triathlon significantly. If you run strongly and well in almost any triathlon these days, you will increase your place performance in a BIG way!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me too

Galveston 2017 - I ran 2:11
Galveston 2018 - I ran 1:37

Yes, the weather was much kinder this year, but I fell apart in 2017. I felt strong until the very end this year. I started BarryP plan in December, so about 4 months of work before the race this year. Can’t wait until I’ve done a year.

I’ve done nothing but base miles. No tempo work at all.

My 1:37 this year saw me do nearly half the run in heart rate Z2 and the rest in Z3.

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Another BarryP success story [DanCT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DanCT wrote:
Me too

Galveston 2017 - I ran 2:11
Galveston 2018 - I ran 1:37

Yes, the weather was much kinder this year, but I fell apart in 2017. I felt strong until the very end this year. I started BarryP plan in December, so about 4 months of work before the race this year. Can’t wait until I’ve done a year.

I’ve done nothing but base miles. No tempo work at all.

My 1:37 this year saw me do nearly half the run in heart rate Z2 and the rest in Z3.

Dan
What were your distances per run at the end of the build prior to the race?
Quote Reply
Re: Another BarryP success story [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 x 4.5km
2 x 9km
1 x 16km

Other points:
- Around 48km for the biggest week.
- I built up to the 16km run ‘early’, I started it at 9km and then added my weekly increase primarily to this run until it was at 16km. I wanted the confidence of a longer run each week in the legs
- Then built the other runs up (starterd them at 3km and 7km respectively).
- The 3 x short runs were always after a morning swim session (for scheduling reasons)
- My Z2 training pace went from around 5:40/km to under 5/km in 4 months
- My weight is almost the same from one year to next (1kg lighter) - I’m 74kg

I’m planning to get up to 6/12/18 (km) by September to give me 6 months before Galveston 2019. Only then will I add a tempo run. Also plan to drop a few kg of weight.

I honestly felt so strong on the run. Overall I finished with a 4:58 compared to last years 6:11.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was the daily schedule of those 3 runs?

DanCT wrote:
3 x 4.5km
2 x 9km
1 x 16km

Other points:
- Around 48km for the biggest week.
- I built up to the 16km run ‘early’, I started it at 9km and then added my weekly increase primarily to this run until it was at 16km. I wanted the confidence of a longer run each week in the legs
- Then built the other runs up (starterd them at 3km and 7km respectively).
- The 3 x short runs were always after a morning swim session (for scheduling reasons)
- My Z2 training pace went from around 5:40/km to under 5/km in 4 months
- My weight is almost the same from one year to next (1kg lighter) - I’m 74kg

I’m planning to get up to 6/12/18 (km) by September to give me 6 months before Galveston 2019. Only then will I add a tempo run. Also plan to drop a few kg of weight.

I honestly felt so strong on the run. Overall I finished with a 4:58 compared to last years 6:11.
Quote Reply
Re: Another BarryP success story [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monday - MEDIUM run
Tuesday - Swim then SHORT run
Wednesday- MEDIUM run
Thursday - Swim then SHORT run
Friday - Swim then SHORT run
Saturday - LONG run
Sunday - No run

So not ideal as per the plan, since I had back to back short runs on Thurs/Fri, but I took consistency over perfection. All my runs done EARLY morning.

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DanCT wrote:
Monday - MEDIUM run
Tuesday - Swim then SHORT run
Wednesday- MEDIUM run
Thursday - Swim then SHORT run
Friday - Swim then SHORT run
Saturday - LONG run
Sunday - No run

So not ideal as per the plan, since I had back to back short runs on Thurs/Fri, but I took consistency over perfection. All my runs done EARLY morning.

Dan

What would perfect look like? Awesome results you had!
Quote Reply
Re: Another BarryP success story [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pwraddr wrote:
What would perfect look like? Awesome results you had!

I’ll let you know in 11months time!

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats. My run is in serious need of improvement and I want to try this out. I’ve searched several times before and can’t seem to locate what I think I should be finding. Can you link to the specifics of the plan here? Thanks.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Another BarryP success story [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find this blog helpful in summarizing everything that was posted on ST:

http://www.jasonmcgee.me/barryp/running.html
Quote Reply
Re: Another BarryP success story [AndrewL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndrewL wrote:
Congrats. My run is in serious need of improvement and I want to try this out. I’ve searched several times before and can’t seem to locate what I think I should be finding. Can you link to the specifics of the plan here? Thanks.

Andrew

No problema! The big list is here

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1612485;search_string=runtraining;#1612485

And you should look at the first three ('The Program' parts one, two, and three).

Go for it, it's easy to implement and highly effective.

Quote Reply
Re: Another BarryP success story [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen. Consistent, easy running just plain works. I recently beat my 5k PR - in a sprint triathlon. Ran an 18:00 on a hilly course, smashing my clean PR by 22 seconds. Two weeks later, I went on to run 4:04/km pace in a HIM (course was a bit short so I'm going by pace), which is within 5sec/km of my former clean HM run and much faster than any HIM run.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you guys ease into 6 runs a week or straight on? I guess that depends alot on what you are doing at present? I have looked into this plan a few times, also because its allow for a lot of slow running which would be better for my injury prone legs. Doing 12km/week currently i feel like i might should easy into it a bit more than go straight to 6 runs?
Quote Reply
Re: Another BarryP success story [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
Did you guys ease into 6 runs a week or straight on? I guess that depends alot on what you are doing at present? I have looked into this plan a few times, also because its allow for a lot of slow running which would be better for my injury prone legs. Doing 12km/week currently i feel like i might should easy into it a bit more than go straight to 6 runs?

I did three runs (two miles each) in the last week of December 2017, the week before I 'officially' started the program. Then I did six each week, but I eased in to doing six IN A ROW. That is, I ran three days then took a day off, then ran four, then a day off, then five, then a day off, and then six six six six six.... So I did

Run Mon Tues Weds
OFF Thurs
Run Fri Sat Sun Mon
OFF Tues
Run Weds Thurs Fri Sat Sun
Off Mon
Run Tues-Sun
Off Mon
Run Tues-Sun
Off Mon

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
question: my target for IM Italy on september is about 50/55km per week. at the moment i'm at 35/40km distribuited in 3 runs (10-10- more-than-15 ).

do u think barryp plan could help to preserve my achilles's tendons that are a bit 'delicate' ?

How do u manage the "3-2-1" barryp program with bricks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Actually it's pretty simple. Many people over-think it and make it too complicated.

For those with a weak running base ( which is a majority of triathletes*), the game-plan is very straight-forward - just start running, almost every day of the week, even for just 20 minutes. The trick is running an amount and intensity that is repeatable, day after, after day, after day, after day . . . etc . . Maybe have one run during the week that is a bit longer. Keep this up for a month, better yet for 2 months, and almost everyone who does this, if they rest for a few days, records a 5K or 10k race PB - just like that. From just running - no fancy intervals, no detailed zone work . . just run!

Doing this significantly deepens run training base fitness. Increases your durability and efficiency. It's all win/win/win

Your second point is the key one - the "secret" her is the consistency of repeating the running, EVERY day.

*When I watch a triathlon these days, I'm shocked with how slow many are running. This represents a REAL opportunity for those who want to take elevating their run fitness and performance in triathlon significantly. If you run strongly and well in almost any triathlon these days, you will increase your place performance in a BIG way!

Im pretty sure you missed the sarcasm in his first 5 words. I'm pretty sure nobody would describe 'running a bunch, being super consistent' as complex! But maybe I missed something in your post too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your improvement. 1:55 to 1:42 is HUGE. Could I just ask what pace you run the majority of your runs at ? Has this pace got faster this year with the Barry P program?

Thanks,

Will
Quote Reply
Re: Another BarryP success story [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im pretty sure you missed the sarcasm in his first 5 words. I'm pretty sure nobody would describe 'running a bunch, being super consistent' as complex! But maybe I missed something in your post too!

On review, yes - perhaps the OP was trying to be sarcastic. Hard to know. Did not see a :-) which I normally add when I'm using sarcasm.

However, there is a general trend/phenomenon to make training WAY more complicated than it is. Most times, when this high frequency 6 - 7 day/week running program is put forward, many want to make it way more complicated than it needs to be. If your running base is weak, which IS the case with many triathletes, then these programs yield potent results. Yet few triathlon coaches, or athletes on their own ever implement them!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
question for those this has worked for when building mileage are you increasing every week until you hit your goal mileage or are you increasing 3 weeks then down 1 weeks increase 3 weeks etc.

I started this in november and it was going well and now I have suffered 2 injuries in the last 2 months... I was running zone 1 / 2 hear rate for all my runs and ZERO speed work and used the McMillian calc for everything. after just 2 months of it though I did PR my 5k and 10k. (I do not blame the Barry-p plan for injuries im constantly injured from running. something new every 12-20 weeks it seems)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You looked great out there dude. You are looking like a runner - good to see the progress!

Congrats on an all-round fantastic race!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Another BarryP success story [rmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rmt wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Yep, you got it, he missed my sarcasm. Super easy and simple plan to implement. The fact that it was also highly effective makes it a win win!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:

Run Mon Tues Weds
OFF Thurs
Run Fri Sat Sun Mon
OFF Tues
Run Weds Thurs Fri Sat Sun
Off Mon
Run Tues-Sun
Off Mon
Run Tues-Sun
Off Mon

I started the BarryP plan last March (2017), after suffering an injury (a little PF and ITBS) from the 3-4 run-per-week hard/long plan. At that time after recovering from the PF/ITBS, I simply went straight into BarryP, by dividing my average mileage (over prior 6 weeks) by 10, and made that my short run. It was tough to "only" run for 18 minutes...AND to run 30-60 seconds slower, AND feel like I was shuffling like a grandpa (nevermind that I AM a grandpa). After about 6 weeks I was back to my old paces, but it was all low zone2 pace instead of high-zone3. And, I no longer felt shelled from the running.

Unfortunately, in my A-race last fall I sustained several muscle strains in the lower abdomen, hips, and adductors. Long story, not related to this thread. Anyway, I had to take off running from October to March for rehab. I continued to swim/bike through Dec, when we (PT/Doc/I) decided these were slowing my recovery/rehab. In March, started back to the barryP plan exactly as you outline above. 3x, 4x, 5x, 6x...the only thing I did a little different was that I kept all the runs the same duration because I could easily run 4 miles every day, but I couldn't do 8 or 12. So, I started at 4:4:4, and have been increasing the med/long runs as tolerated.

I was quite surprised at how quickly the run fitness has come back. My current training pace is about 20s off my peak training paces from last season, only after about 6 weeks. I hit 28 mpw last week on 6x. My ratios aren't quite up to 4:8:12, yet. But, I'll be back there by 10 June---which will still be 16 weeks from my A-race.

Maybe its just me, but I feel like the tissue toughness, and resilience that running 6x for half-a-year brings you stays with you a lot longer. I used to always have RRI issues: everything from plantar-faciitis, to ITB, to patellar tendonitis, strained achilies, etc. You name a piece of connective tissue, I've injured it running harder/faster/less-often. The harder/faster approach seems to bring fitness without toughness. Ie, you get fast too fast. After switching last year, I had ZERO RRI issues. And resuming the plan now, also zero issues. No niggles, nothing. None of those nagging things that you feel mid-run and hope they go away before the next one.

I never question if I will be able to run tomorrow. Honestly, the only question I have is, "do I really need a day off?"
Quote Reply

Prev Next