Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ankle tendinitis
Quote | Reply
Well after an Ultrasound today 4 weeks out from my Nice Ironman, I have Ankle tendinitis, luckily there's no rupture. Been given anti inflammatory for 10 day course. No running Doc says till he see's me at the end of this course. I can still cycle and swim as there's no pain, sometimes a little with cycling though not often. Things haven't been right for past 3 weeks after RICE no improvement as such. Cause overuse and wearing wrong shoes for a period, as I'm flat footed but not in a bad way.

Doc says I can do the Ironman run (Sports Doctor) try to run on the midfoot as much as possible he said.

He's told me in the meantime to exchange running with Aqua running, very boring he goes, but an alternate.

Any suggestions out there....
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle tendinitis [mortirolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a Bosu ball and just balance on one foot with it. Strengthen muscles around the ankle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been battling posterior tibial tendonitis (actually tendonosis if you want to get technical) for a while. My doctor (also a triathlete) suggested a few courses of EPAT therapy. This seemed to promote blood flow to the area and perhaps speed the healing a little bit. Otherwise, it's all the stuff you already mentioned. I'm surprised they put you on anti-inflammatories. They're OK for pain management, but my understanding is that they actually slow the healing process significantly. If you're not trying to run and the pain is bearable, I'd think it would actually heal more quickly without the NSAID's. Check with your Dr. on this.

For me:
cycling = yes
elliptical = yes
Never walking around bare footed (got a pair of Oofos sandals for when I'm not in regular shoes, which always have my custom orthotics in them)
Icing = yes, a few times a day.

What made this a LOT more bearable was using an AnkleAid. It's ridiculously expensive for what is essentially a plastic tub, but having your toes out of the water makes icing your ankle a lot more bearable. I can easily do a 20 min. ice bath with this, whereas if my toes are in the ice water I can't go 5 minutes. Also, an ice bath is going to be a lot more effective than one of those cold wraps. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle tendinitis [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
I've been battling posterior tibial tendonitis (actually tendonosis if you want to get technical) for a while. My doctor (also a triathlete) suggested a few courses of EPAT therapy. This seemed to promote blood flow to the area and perhaps speed the healing a little bit. Otherwise, it's all the stuff you already mentioned. I'm surprised they put you on anti-inflammatories. They're OK for pain management, but my understanding is that they actually slow the healing process significantly. If you're not trying to run and the pain is bearable, I'd think it would actually heal more quickly without the NSAID's. Check with your Dr. on this.

For me:
cycling = yes
elliptical = yes
Never walking around bare footed (got a pair of Oofos sandals for when I'm not in regular shoes, which always have my custom orthotics in them)
Icing = yes, a few times a day.

What made this a LOT more bearable was using an AnkleAid. It's ridiculously expensive for what is essentially a plastic tub, but having your toes out of the water makes icing your ankle a lot more bearable. I can easily do a 20 min. ice bath with this, whereas if my toes are in the ice water I can't go 5 minutes. Also, an ice bath is going to be a lot more effective than one of those cold wraps. Good luck!

those ice baths look good, Sports Doc suggested cold water then warm water (or hot as you can take) 3 minutes each on the ankle 3 times a day.

that's interesting about anti inflammatory, I might ask my Doctor. Though my ankle is swollen he wants the swelling to reduce quickly he said before the event.
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle tendinitis [walnutcreek tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
walnutcreek tri wrote:
Get a Bosu ball and just balance on one foot with it. Strengthen muscles around the ankle.

Thanks, he given me a some ankle strengthening exercise videos he wants me to carry out twice a day, as well as keep the ankle elevated as much as possible.

Also he applied tape along the particular muscle from bottom of calf to bottom of ankle, feels much better walking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely check with the Dr. I would think that if you can manage the swelling with just ice, you may be better off but I would definitely listen to a doctor over my advice ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what's the anti inflammatory?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle tendinitis [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diplofenac 3 x 50mg per day for 10 days

(I read side affects are stomach problems, no side effects for me so far)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NCAID's do help, but over a long period you can get some side effects from them. Not that 10days is long, but inflammation can take very very long. Besides exercises and Diflofenac, you can try some "natural" supplements as well for the time beging. For example green lipped mussel has shown in several studies to be almost as anti-inflammatory as NCAID's. Turmeric seems to help as well. Ginger a little also. And omega3.

I am far from a hippy, but it's worth the shot. Helps me better than NCAID's did. It at least has no to hardly side effects and half of them you could buy in the supermarket (like omega-3 rich fish and ginger).
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle tendinitis [ic3d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ic3d wrote:
NCAID's do help, but over a long period you can get some side effects from them. Not that 10days is long, but inflammation can take very very long. Besides exercises and Diflofenac, you can try some "natural" supplements as well for the time beging. For example green lipped mussel has shown in several studies to be almost as anti-inflammatory as NCAID's. Turmeric seems to help as well. Ginger a little also. And omega3.

I am far from a hippy, but it's worth the shot. Helps me better than NCAID's did. It at least has no to hardly side effects and half of them you could buy in the supermarket (like omega-3 rich fish and ginger).

thanks for your post, I'm taking 1000mg of omega 3 supplement per day already but haven't tried your other suggestions. I'm all for the natural way.

I went for a quite an intensive session this morning, cycling and felt no pain, as soon as I started walking not much pain but could feel it. I guess I will just have to grind out the marathon somehow, I may not even run now till late June's event, lets see what the Doc says in 2 weeks time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had several bouts of severe ankle tendinitis over the years, and here's what's worked for me:

1. Ultrasound therapy. Which means a trip to the PT's office, to get your ankle buzzed with sound waves and then humor them to do a bunch of strengthening exercises
2. Strengthening exercises. Alphabets, towel scrunches, resistance band flexion, etc
3. Alternating jacuzzi/ice therapy post-workout. That was the first time I could see the visible puffiness on the tendon abate after a run.
4. Run/walk pattern to break up the high impact on the road. I had to start back easy on the run, like 0:30/1:00 run/walk. If it's at the point when you run that you can't make it through a mile at a time, I'd start thinking about triage on the run leg of IM and practicing for it now.

Good luck. It's not fun and the only real cure for it is rest, which I hope you can do a lot of after IM.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am struggling with a knee tendon irritation. My fysiotherapist sayd it could take months and so it does. Since I am taking green lipped mussel pills my knee feels better. I'd honoustly don't know if it's just time, all the effort and excercises that I put into it, training on a lower level, etc. But the day I started with the mussels, the burning sensation I had for almost 24/7 slowly dissapeared. The other things I mentioned seem to do less for me. I'd take them nevertheless. I doesn't seem to hurt and in total it costs me about 50 cent a day. That's nothing compared to the money I put into my gear :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mortirolo wrote:
Well after an Ultrasound today 4 weeks out from my Nice Ironman, I have Ankle tendinitis, luckily there's no rupture. Been given anti inflammatory for 10 day course. No running Doc says till he see's me at the end of this course. I can still cycle and swim as there's no pain, sometimes a little with cycling though not often. Things haven't been right for past 3 weeks after RICE no improvement as such. Cause overuse and wearing wrong shoes for a period, as I'm flat footed but not in a bad way.

Doc says I can do the Ironman run (Sports Doctor) try to run on the midfoot as much as possible he said.

He's told me in the meantime to exchange running with Aqua running, very boring he goes, but an alternate.

Why did he suggest you do a mid-foot strike? Was he trying to unload the achilles with that?
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle tendinitis [CraigAllenSmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CraigAllenSmith wrote:
mortirolo wrote:

Why did he suggest you do a mid-foot strike? Was he trying to unload the achilles with that?

Exactly, this was the Physio suggestion not the Sports Doc. I'm not really keen on that suggestion I'd rather see a Podiatrist to offer some kind of foot strike advice. I don't want to invest in a pair of Newtons 3 weeks from a race!

I feeling much better since zero running, swelling has gone down without using lots of ice, rather just once a day. Must be rest and Diplofenac I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle tendinitis [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
I have had several bouts of severe ankle tendinitis over the years, and here's what's worked for me:

1. Ultrasound therapy. Which means a trip to the PT's office, to get your ankle buzzed with sound waves and then humor them to do a bunch of strengthening exercises
2. Strengthening exercises. Alphabets, towel scrunches, resistance band flexion, etc
3. Alternating jacuzzi/ice therapy post-workout. That was the first time I could see the visible puffiness on the tendon abate after a run.
4. Run/walk pattern to break up the high impact on the road. I had to start back easy on the run, like 0:30/1:00 run/walk. If it's at the point when you run that you can't make it through a mile at a time, I'd start thinking about triage on the run leg of IM and practicing for it now.

Good luck. It's not fun and the only real cure for it is rest, which I hope you can do a lot of after IM.

Thanks for your tips, I think your exactly right the only real cure when your have a muscle injury is REST.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you think triggered it?

My first line of defense is to increase your cadence. I do not like taking rest for these because it does not address the problem of what led to overload in the first place.

If you take 2 weeks off and the symptoms go away, that does not mean the problem is gone. Most often it comes right back when you run. Have you had your running gait recorded?
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle tendinitis [CraigAllenSmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CraigAllenSmith wrote:
What do you think triggered it?

My first line of defense is to increase your cadence. I do not like taking rest for these because it does not address the problem of what led to overload in the first place.

If you take 2 weeks off and the symptoms go away, that does not mean the problem is gone. Most often it comes right back when you run. Have you had your running gait recorded?

My plan is just to run and keep running obviously perhaps slowing or stopping for water and coke. When I had my last run on Thursday 5 miles, I ran forefoot, upright, slightly crouched forward, smaller strides, this style of running definitely helped me with reducing pain. I will do the same on the marathon. I need to think of way to finish!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back from Nice, I ran the marathon in 4:08 if I was fit I would expect 3:20-3:30 if feeling ok. My Ankle started feeling really bad at mile 3, the last 23 miles was a killer.

Almost walking the last 2km. I had sore quads as well. Then day after I couldn't feel any pain in my ankel, I thought my god I've ruptured this tendon, then next day pain came back...perhaps I had to wait to my quad pain went down or wait till whole body recovered.

This is such a frustrating injury. I was doing tons of physio exercises 2 weeks prior which was helping, this week I'm resting completely.

but what an event Nice is! Amazing, the bike ride is stunning in the mountains, ocean beautiful, so well organised. A tough one, has a lot of history, famous for Mollina and Allen battles of the past. World Championship status next year.
Quote Reply