Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ankle T-cell (stem cell) Injection
Quote | Reply
I'm 40 and have had pain when I ran for a couple years now. I first hurt it on a 70.3 run and pushed through on the last 3 miles. I then tried to transition to marathon training and running remained painful. I took months off from any running and then did physical therapy for a year. I can run if I do a lot of stretching and balance/strengthening work which is fine. But there is still pain there when I do run.

So I got an x-ray (nothing) and an MRI. MRI showed the arthritis (tibeotalar osteoarthritis with evidence of old mild osteochondral injuries of the distal interior tibial plafond and medial talar dome if that means anything to anyone). Podiatrist said surgery wasn't very effective but the T-cell or stem cell injection has seen more success (but he has only done 7 in the last year or so).

What I'm wondering is if anyone has received that injection for ankle issues. What was your recovery like? (he claimed no recovery needed but reading other websites they said you would need to be off the foot for a month or two) Was it effective? I have to pay our of pocket $1,500 so I'm hoping for some insight and any other thoughts to help here... Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle T-cell (stem cell) Injection [nocanswim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’d get a second and third opinion wether it actually works or not. Compared to How many pros give up any sport because of injury, it seems sort of “cheap”
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle T-cell (stem cell) Injection [brasch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I agree on the cost piece. I'm willing to pay it if it can prolong my ability to run. I'm really hoping others have experience here. I'm not sure if it falls in the reliable camp or the experimental camp at the moment 😊
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle T-cell (stem cell) Injection [nocanswim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My best friend just went through everything you said but he is quite a bit older than you. He had total ankle reconstruction last fall the second time , he is back on the bike doing very well but no more running. If you will pm me with phone number I will have him call you. Your options are not many.
Quote Reply
Re: Ankle T-cell (stem cell) Injection [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Message sent
Quote Reply