Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Angular contact BB bearings - super smooth or placebo?
Quote | Reply
Are angular contact bearings in a bottom bracket noticeably smoother? I think they are, but it could be mind tricks.

I bought a new rim brake road frame that is PF30, so installed a Wheels Mfg PF30 outboard ACB bottom bracket, and swapped all my Shimano 105 parts over from the old frame (which had the Shimano Ultegra level BBR60). I mostly ride this bike on the trainer but upgraded from a heavy steel frame to light aluminum frame to do more outdoor riding on it.

I rode the old bike on the trainer (Saris H2) on Friday and the new bike on the trainer yesterday. I swear that pedaling felt worlds smoother on the new bike. All the drivetrain parts except the BB are the same. Fit is nearly identical. I was doing hills in FulGaz so grinding 36/25 at 60-70rpms in spots, and some standing. But the smoothness was there pretty much the whole time.

I know that the ACBs are recommended for BBs, but I was thinking this was a durability thing, not expecting to feel a difference. Any experience or data with them to say whether they really are that much better/smoother/less drag than a standard Shimano bb?
Quote Reply
Re: Angular contact BB bearings - super smooth or placebo? [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Placebo.
Quote Reply
Re: Angular contact BB bearings - super smooth or placebo? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer! Well, thanks for saving me the cost of upgrading my other two BBs!
Quote Reply
Re: Angular contact BB bearings - super smooth or placebo? [brando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Angular contact bearings handle non-axial loads in a certain direction better but we really don't have those on bottom brackets except for the bearing preloads.
Quote Reply