Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Angela Naeth added to Kona Start list
Quote | Reply
Just saw Angela Naeth’s FB post about corrected IM Maastricht results and that she’s now going to be racing in Kona.

After all she’s gone through the last several years, stoked to see her race in Hawaii... but was curious what the issue was with the IM Maastricht results?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by rhys [ In reply to ]
Re: Angela Naeth added to Kona Start list [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually just heard from a friend that it was related to course cutting in the swim... guess I’ll need to take a look at the Ironman video...
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth added to Kona Start list [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both Els Visser and Sonia Barcegirdle have been DQed for cutting the swim course. Els was following Sonia's feet at the time. I really don't understand why this measure is only taken now and not during the race (or immediately after). This also means that Yvonne van Vlerken won the race (and the Dutch title).
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth added to Kona Start list [Maca944] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maca944 wrote:
Both Els Visser and Sonia Barcegirdle have been DQed for cutting the swim course. Els was following Sonia's feet at the time. I really don't understand why this measure is only taken now and not during the race (or immediately after). This also means that Yvonne van Vlerken won the race (and the Dutch title).

No course marshal during the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth added to Kona Start list [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But the course cutting was witnessed by hunderds of people from the bridge and can be seen in the livestream too (the buoy in the back is the one they should have swam around). My girlfriend witnessed it and wondered if they were swimming the right course, but in their defense she said that the kayak accompanying them was right between them and the buoy they should be swimming too, effectively blocking their sight. Many people wondered about it directly after, so I find it odd that affected athletes, or their coaches, only put in their protests weeks later.
Around 1:01:50 you see Haley Chura swim around the orange buoy, around 1:09-1:11 you see that buoy in the background of where Els and Sonia are swimming.

Els wasn't shooting for a spot in Kona, but IM Maastricht was the Dutch long distance championship, a title she now loses to Yvonnen van Vlerken.

https://www.facebook.com/IRONMANnow/videos/1395913697206111/

With Angela Naeth being added to the Kona startlist, did somebody else lose their spot?
Last edited by: TriStart: Sep 22, 18 2:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Deleted my post so no misinformation.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for her. She's one of the nicest people out there.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does Haley Chura also qualify? I know she was close to getting a spot. She moves from 6th to 4th for IM Maastricht. Wonder if the extra points she gets now puts her in as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth added to Kona Start list [hrynkow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Presumably not since Haley finished behind Angela in that race and was still about 1,000+ points its back in the KPR.

hrynkow wrote:
Does Haley Chura also qualify? I know she was close to getting a spot. She moves from 6th to 4th for IM Maastricht. Wonder if the extra points she gets now puts her in as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth added to Kona Start list [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
But the course cutting was witnessed by hunderds of people from the bridge and can be seen in the livestream too (the buoy in the back is the one they should have swam around). My girlfriend witnessed it and wondered if they were swimming the right course, but in their defense she said that the kayak accompanying them was right between them and the buoy they should be swimming too, effectively blocking their sight. Many people wondered about it directly after, so I find it odd that affected athletes, or their coaches, only put in their protests weeks later.
Around 1:01:50 you see Haley Chura swim around the orange buoy, around 1:09-1:11 you see that buoy in the background of where Els and Sonia are swimming.

Els wasn't shooting for a spot in Kona, but IM Maastricht was the Dutch long distance championship, a title she now loses to Yvonnen van Vlerken.

With Angela Naeth being added to the Kona startlist, did somebody else lose their spot?

Good find-clearly missed that buoy...that's gotta hurt!
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth added to Kona Start list [pots4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pots4 wrote:
TriStart wrote:

Good find-clearly missed that buoy...that's gotta hurt!

Yeah, bummer, feel bad for them, clearly a mistake. Happy for Angela though.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth added to Kona Start list [drm437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Angela's 8th place @ Kona was awesome result.
If am not mistaken top placing by a pro Canadian athlete this year.

IIRC she's originally from Prince George, BC which is a rough and tumble town way the heck north of here.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:
Just saw Angela Naeth’s FB post about corrected IM Maastricht results and that she’s now going to be racing in Kona.

After all she’s gone through the last several years, stoked to see her race in Hawaii... but was curious what the issue was with the IM Maastricht results?

Wanted to bump this, as Ironman's DQ of Visser and Bricegirdle was overturned. Visser said they were directed off course by an official, but I couldn't clearly see anyone directing them in the replay. Just curious if anyone knows what data was used as a means to justify the reversal.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth added to Kona Start list [Maca944] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really don't understand why this measure is only taken now and not during the race (or immediately after).//

Does it make sense now in light of the reversal??
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth added to Kona Start list [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a link to the article? I would be interested to see how they are making restitution to these athletes so late after the fact.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth added to Kona Start list [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
Do you have a link to the article? I would be interested to see how they are making restitution to these athletes so late after the fact.

Triathlon World

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh wow, I didn't realize that this was not an ironman decision, but a country's court that is ordering WTC to pay and reinstate her. I dont ever recall this happening like this before. So now we will have to see what WTC does with this. My hope is that they pay the two ladies, give them their points, but dont try and claw back the money and points from the others. If it truly was their fault, they should have to pay a little penalty for their mistake. Small potatoes in the grand scheme, best to take the high road and have it old news right away..
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth added to Kona Start list [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Oh wow, I didn't realize that this was not an ironman decision, but a country's court that is ordering WTC to pay and reinstate her. I dont ever recall this happening like this before. So now we will have to see what WTC does with this. My hope is that they pay the two ladies, give them their points, but dont try and claw back the money and points from the others. If it truly was their fault, they should have to pay a little penalty for their mistake. Small potatoes in the grand scheme, best to take the high road and have it old news right away..

Like.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
sfjab wrote:

Wanted to bump this, as Ironman's DQ of Visser and Bricegirdle was overturned. Visser said they were directed off course by an official, but I couldn't clearly see anyone directing them in the replay. Just curious if anyone knows what data was used as a means to justify the reversal.

Yeah, um, that dog don't hunt for me.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth added to Kona Start list [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
domingjm wrote:
sfjab wrote:

Yeah, um, that dog don't hunt for me.

I can't even make a guess as to what that expression means.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't even make a guess as to what that expression means. //

He doesn't like the courts ruling for some reason...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know many, I come on here and see how stalkerish some folks get on random age groupers that accidentally cut the course and say how it's the responsibility of the athlete to read the race packet and know the course. How would these two cut the course and others not? Makes no sense to me. Hopefully, Ironman fights this.

Quote Reply
Re: Angela Naeth added to Kona Start list [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I come on here and see how stalkerish some folks get on random age groupers that accidentally cut the course and say how it's the responsibility of the athlete to read the race packet and know the course.//

That would not be me, I always felt it is the RD's responsibility to provide a well marked course on race day, one that anyone could follow without knowing it. Too many variables from looking at a map weeks before a race, and what is actually happening on Raceday to expect folks to have remembered every twist and turn. And dont you think a complete DQ of the winning pro is a little much for missing one buoy in the first place? I'm also not a fan for the death penalty for misdemeanors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty, I wasn't accusing you of that. Just stating why I find it funny some people are applauding this and that the excuse here has the effective range of zero.

And a time penalty is probably the appropriate penalty.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: May 30, 19 12:01
Quote Reply

Prev Next