Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
How would you say Talansky compares in their cycling career to, say, the guy who just set the course record at Kona?

Just for reference sake?

Brent
Talansky is a fair bit more accomplished at cycling, and I think your question raises a good point. Cam Wurf has been able to develop his triathlon skill set over the course of two years to the point where he is a legit competitor across three sports in the races he takes part in (while he blew up in Kona, he does have a victory and 2nd place to his name); he's shown it's possible to make the transition from pro cyclist to successful triathlete and it will be interesting if Talansky, as a pro cyclist with a more impressive resume, can transition in the same way.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I listened to the Podcast. I truly hope the best for him and am looking forward to observing his progress. However, is it just me or does it sound transparent and pathetic the way he was shilling for regular old product sponsors? How "passionate" can you be about Clif Bar? They sell them at Target and Walmart for a 87 cents. Did he really claim Canyon was going to give him an advantage and that Tony Martin changed teams to ride Canyon(after winning everything on Specialized) and he "believes" in the brand?? And a baking soda gel to rub on your legs?

A sucker is born every minute and a huslter has to hustle and AT has a kid, but damn, it was sad listening to it.

At least when Ben G espouses the benefits of colostrunm from a goat, it is so silly that it is overtly funny. https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/...-loss-and-colostrum/ That whole website is hilarious if you peruse about once a year.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i agree. it's just the nature of the business though. if specialized walked up to me and told me they'd pay me $65k/year to ride in their apparel (8 kits/year for free), equipment (3 x s works level shoes/year), bikes ( 4 x s works level bikes/year) etc but then after 2 years Trek said: we'll give you Specialized + X amount of money then yea, the Speed Concept would become the best bike for me and I'd really believe in Bontrager products, etc.

People who buy stuff based on what pros are paid to use are silly. I've gotten input from pros on products they are NOT paid to 'advertise' and it was usually much better and more trustworthy advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quantum wrote:
dfru wrote:
How would you say Talansky compares in their cycling career to, say, the guy who just set the course record at Kona?

Just for reference sake?

Brent
Talansky is a fair bit more accomplished at cycling, and I think your question raises a good point. Cam Wurf has been able to develop his triathlon skill set over the course of two years to the point where he is a legit competitor across three sports in the races he takes part in (while he blew up in Kona, he does have a victory and 2nd place to his name); he's shown it's possible to make the transition from pro cyclist to successful triathlete and it will be interesting if Talansky, as a pro cyclist with a more impressive resume, can transition in the same way.

Don't get me wrong, Wurf has done well. Very well, and I suspect he will improve from here on out for sure. Seems to be an engine.

In IMC 2015 at Whistler, craziest freaking cold day I have ever raced...and there's this guy who outbikes all the pros by 10 minutes in the freezing rain, and it's Cam Wurf...and I had to google him. I wouldn't have to do this with Talansky. Not that it makes him better, but let's see what the man is able to do with all the pressure on him. Wurf had no pressure on him that year (I almost got him in Kona...he just walked too fast ;) )

I'm looking forward to this...

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
I listened to the Podcast. I truly hope the best for him and am looking forward to observing his progress. However, is it just me or does it sound transparent and pathetic the way he was shilling for regular old product sponsors? How "passionate" can you be about Clif Bar? They sell them at Target and Walmart for a 87 cents. Did he really claim Canyon was going to give him an advantage and that Tony Martin changed teams to ride Canyon(after winning everything on Specialized) and he "believes" in the brand?? And a baking soda gel to rub on your legs?

A sucker is born every minute and a huslter has to hustle and AT has a kid, but damn, it was sad listening to it.

At least when Ben G espouses the benefits of colostrunm from a goat, it is so silly that it is overtly funny. https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/...-loss-and-colostrum/ That whole website is hilarious if you peruse about once a year.

Apparently it is "widely known" in the pro peloton that Canyon is the best bike. He lost me when he transitioned from his bullshit lactic acid buffer to the Halo Sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
Quantum wrote:
dfru wrote:

Just for reference sake?

Brent

Don't get me wrong, Wurf has done well. Very well, and I suspect he will improve from here on out for sure. Seems to be an engine.

In IMC 2015 at Whistler, craziest freaking cold day I have ever raced...and there's this guy who outbikes all the pros by 10 minutes in the freezing rain, and it's Cam Wurf...and I had to google him. I wouldn't have to do this with Talansky. Not that it makes him better, but let's see what the man is able to do with all the pressure on him. Wurf had no pressure on him that year (I almost got him in Kona...he just walked too fast ;) )

I'm looking forward to this...

Brent
Completely agree. Worth noting that it took Cam two years to become a complete enough athlete to be professionally competitive, hopefully Talansky has a longer term perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It's always interesting and here on ST, among the hardcore crowd, the uber-bikers always get an auto-fan following and big support - but it is SWIM-bike-RUN.

As we've seen with none-other than another ST fan-favorite Lionel Sanders, the swim, is critical to how the whole of the day is going to go - at this level of competition. It's taken Lionel, probably 4 - 5 years to get to where he is now - a good 2nd pack swimmer, in these big and competitive races.

I know nothing of Talansky's background - I did read somewhere that prior to cycling he was a pretty good swimmer and runner in high school - if that is the case, then his transition to triathlon may be better than initially thought.

The late Steve Larsen - probably was the best of the known cyclists that did come over. Steve seemed to adapt well to triathlon, and was progressing well. It's shame, that his premature death, possibly took away, the full fruition of what he could have done.

I know I risk being pilloried here, and it's all moot now, but the pro cyclist who had the most promise in triathlon, and at IRONMAN was Lance Armstrong. Many forget that, Armstrong, almost for sure prior to any PED use, as a teenager, was racing with and beating the best triathletes in the world at the time, for a brief period.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed with Fleck here. Lance was a phenomenal triathlete prior to dope and cycling. Its hard for me to get worked up about the PED discussion at all with him and other endurance athletes anymore. That era of cycling was really bad. So was that era of every other sport, triathlon included and it still probably is bad (not as much). It wasn't right, but they are products of that time and place.

That said it is clear that to a fault, Lance had a hunger and desire for winning that outpaced his peers and ultimately probably is why he was caught. My guess is that all things being equal and all athletes of that time being drug free, he would still be amongst the best. He showed a huge engine and big talent from a young age.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Longcourse wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
This is super exciting and I can't wait to see what happens

This. If he swam competitively as a kid, he should ultimately be fine in that department. Unlike former teammate cam wurf, the guy was one of the tour's top time trialists. No idea about the run potential.

We need to know how competitively as a kid. Swimming as a kid is huge, but I have seen plenty of big engines that swam as a kids and they still don't swim that well. The influx of pro riders turning to triathlon is interesting, and while the idea of a less arduous racing seems appealing, the reality is the sport is very hard to make any money at. Meaningful sponsorship continues to dry up and you can't make a living on racing because you just can't race enough and it is too competitive.

Hitting the proverbial nail here, Thomas. Just b/c a person swims growing up does not mean that he/she will be a fast swimmer. If you look at summer league teams, lots of relatively slow kids are on the various teams, and even a few slow ones who stick with it until age 18. Many of the slower ones drop out at 12/13 as they can see they're just always going to be swimming in the slow heats, and never swimming on the meet-winning final relay.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First race result is in. Can he hold this pace for a little longer....

http://raceresults.eternaltiming.com/...County_Triathlon.htm

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that website/timing company holds a high ranking in the ''worst results display of all time'' category.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’re saying he didn’t get beat by the guys swimming 7 minutes?

Yeah, it’s pretty awful.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Last edited by: mungub50: Oct 30, 17 8:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
that website/timing company holds a high ranking in the ''worst results display of all time'' category.

OMG it really is horrible

AJ

-------------------------------------------------------
IM WC Hawaii 2024
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I was really confused until I realised that it's all the different events just jumbled together. This link makes a bit more sense:

http://raceresults.eternaltiming.com/...Triathlon+Individual~All
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His post from Instagram:
"Yesterday I kicked off my triathlon career in much the same way as I did my cycling one over 11 years ago: at a local, grassroots event that showcases what the sport is all about. I haven't been that nervous before a race since maybe the first time I lined up for the TdF in 2013! I had a great time, met some good people and I can't wait for more. "

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
His post from Instagram:
"Yesterday I kicked off my triathlon career in much the same way as I did my cycling one over 11 years ago: at a local, grassroots event that showcases what the sport is all about. I haven't been that nervous before a race since maybe the first time I lined up for the TdF in 2013! I had a great time, met some good people and I can't wait for more. "

i don't worry about his swimming. obviously nobody needs to worry about his cycling. the run is going to be the interesting question, as he develops.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:

yeah that first page is jacked... but you can search around a little more and find a cleaner readout
Last edited by: spntrxi: Oct 30, 17 9:37
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About the swim, hard to know if the splits are correct, but if so it looks like he got beat by 3 /12 minutes by one guy and 2 1/2 by another. I know it looks good at the top comparisons where he finished, but of course this was a local race without any real fast people. But those two swim times indicate what real pros would have swam and being 3 1/2 minutes down in a 1500 swim, well I would worry about that, especially once extrapolated out to 2.4..
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
About the swim, hard to know if the splits are correct, but if so it looks like he got beat by 3 /12 minutes by one guy and 2 1/2 by another. I know it looks good at the top comparisons where he finished, but of course this was a local race without any real fast people. But those two swim times indicate what real pros would have swam and being 3 1/2 minutes down in a 1500 swim, well I would worry about that, especially once extrapolated out to 2.4..

i'm not sure i believe any of the times before alexander lindsey. if you google around on the times faster than this, they seem suspect. if you have a really good swimmer, front pack swimmer, beating andrew by just over 2min over olympic distance, in what is a very early effort in andrew's tri career, i'm not too worried about that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:
First race result is in. Can he hold this pace for a little longer....
http://raceresults.eternaltiming.com/...County_Triathlon.htm

Looking at the results on the web site given by awenborn, he went 2:00 to win a very small (166 entries) Oly Dist triathlon by 10 min. As expected, he had the fastest bike by 5 min but his swim was 5 min slower than the fastest guy, and his run was at least 19 sec slower than the fastest runner. On the whole, and i don't mean to seem overly critical, but this just looks like the performance of a talented amateur tri guy, not a former pro cyclist. He would seem to have a long way to go to be a top pro triathlete.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We can't make any assumptions off a single race where he did win overall but clearly we do not know how much effort he really put in for the win. Let's see how he does say over 6 races and then start looking at where we can improve. This is a guy that most likely jumped into the pool with very little swimming, rode the bike fast but not anywhere near how fast he can ride and then ran not a bad pace. I do not think this is a performance that shows what he is capable of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at the results on the web site given by awenborn, he went 2:00 to win a very small (166 entries) Oly Dist triathlon by 10 min. As expected, he had the fastest bike by 5 min but his swim was 5 min slower than the fastest guy,//

As Dan pointed out those super fast times other than the guy that beat him by 2 1/2 minutes are suspect, so for now it is that 2.5 beat that is legit. Still that is a lot, but it is early and we don't know it that is a fitness issue or something more worrisome. But it is not just a little bit, and I assume this was a wetsuit swim, so that would work in his favor for sure..
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a guy that most likely jumped into the pool with very little swimming, rode the bike fast but not anywhere near how fast he can ride and then ran not a bad pace. I do not think this is a performance that shows what he is capable of. //

Actually in a weird way it does tell us something important. It says that yes he can actually swim pretty good, and run pretty good too. He is not starting at some super beginning point that needs a long curve to arc to becoming really fast. All his times indicate that he is at least proficient at a pretty high lever in swimming and running, not yet pro level, but not yet tested either. And he has some time...
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or just a case of a guy that has not swam much or barely anything vs a person logging 20k a week. Not telling at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Talansky to race triathlons [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Or just a case of a guy that has not swam much or barely anything vs a person logging 20k a week. Not telling at all.
I read Monty's point as being that whatever his swim or run load thus far, Talansky's splits mean he has at least something a baseline he can work off of i.e. he's not DOA (or dead out of the water) like Zirbel with his 35-38 min 70.3 swim speed.
Quote Reply

Prev Next