Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Andrew Coggan - Q on pedal stroke
Quote | Reply
can you post here some references on what you mentioned once that most track riders and TTers apply most of the strength on the downstroke and only unweigh the other leg?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Andrew Coggan - Q on pedal stroke [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not Andrew (actually you might have better luck on the topica wattage site, or the coachgordo site - he post their more frequently than here)

My question is as opposed to what? Unless you are using PC I've never heard of anyone who pulls up on the pedal stroke, unless they are doing drills.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone who has ever looked at this has shown this result in every type of rider (most of the force is on the downstroke with minimal amounts at the top and the bottom and negative force on the backstroke).

Even in PowerCrankers, who are forced to learn to "apply force" on the upstroke I think we will find (once the studies are done) that the bulk of the power will still come from the down force - although not as great a percentage as before. I say this because I look at my pedal forces frequently when demonstrating the PC's on the Velotron and pedaling one legged and find that my upstroke is way weaker than my downstroke, even though I have ridden nothing but PC's for the last 6 years.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois,

Uhm - I'm not AC (for sure!!!!) but here's a study that looks at what I believe you're interested in ... lots of detail so have a good read :)

rmur

http://www.midweekclub.ca/articles/coyle91.pdf
Quote Reply