Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

And another thing, Tom...
Quote | Reply
When are you going to post your review of the Saber? I need some reassurance that I bought the right bike! ;)
Quote Reply
Re: And another thing, Tom... [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soon! it is actually a hard bike to review. You've see why when it comes out.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: And another thing, Tom... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too am looking forward to your review.

I was planning on getting a P2K but ended up getting a 2001 Saber a couple months ago. The biggest downside I saw of not getting a P2K was that I was sacrificing some aerodynamics and not having the flexibility of flipping to a shallow seat post angle. The reason I chose the Saber was it fit me perfectly and the local bike shop had it marked down to under US$1,800 putting it in the same price range as the Cervelo. I liked the feel of the titanium so went for it.

It was a hard choice since the shop I bought it at is a Cervelo, Litespeed, Cannondale dealer and had a 2003 P2K and P3 sitting next to the Litespeed. Gerard’s bikes look so good, even when sitting still in a shop.
Quote Reply
Re: And another thing, Tom... [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny...I am going to Tom's shop on this coming Monday for an initial fit and bike selection and the two bikes up for consideration (based on fit, natch) the P2K and Saber. Should be fun - I handed over my old ride today to her new owner (sniff, sniff).

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Re: And another thing, Tom... [MattMiz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattMiz, If it fits, I have to highly recommend the saber. I had been all set to get the P3, but couldn't get the feel "just so." I'm pretty picky and well settled into my position after 17 years in the sport.

I went all the way on it with Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero fork, Profile Carbon X bars, USE carbon seat post, Syntace brake levers, Spinergy Xaero lite wheels for training, and the rest is DA, with TT rings in 54/42. Its at 53cm 650c. The combination of all the carbon parts and the Xaero wheels makes this easily the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden in the aero position for more than 4 hours. I recommend strategic carbon upgrades, or at least the wheels, even if you don't go all the way like I did. I had a windfall of $$ otherwise I'd have put my standard Ultegra and less expensive carbon goodies on it and would have been quite happy. I think the only way I can improve the comfort would be to add an Azoto or Azoto Aspide saddle. I love my SLR on my road bike, but the jury is still out on using it on the saber. All in all, I love this bike. Its far and away worth every cent I spent on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice. I was originally leaning that way, then some guy named Gerard had me leaning toward the P2K, and now I'm basically just resigned to checking the fit and talking with the experts. Regardless, I am gonna take it as "full tilt" as I can. No sense messing around, right?

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, you'll be pleased to know I ended up going with the Saber. After lots of measurements and some Q&A the numbers said "no" to a P2K. I know Tom says there's no "black art" to fitting, but watching them do all those measurements and calculations and stuff certainly feels like it, mostly cause you have to trust the process even if you don't know exactly what the hell it is they're doing (and I certainly don't). So, now I get to sit and wait for the sucker to come in and the boys at Bikesport to work their fit magic so I can go and race and see all those numbers and stuff come to fruition. Meanwhile, it's kinda scary...type A, obsessive-compulsive triathlete with a prior bad fit experience sitting around waiting for the big validation moment...plays games with your head, even when you know you're seeing some of the best in the biz.

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Re: And another thing, Tom... [MattMiz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, lets hope you like yours as much as I like mine. I am looking VERY forward to my first race and then my first IM on it. A word of warning, though: Just because you now own a top-end bike, you aren't cured of bike-lust. I still can't get that custom painted P3 I saw on Ebay out of my head. Good thing the auction has ended!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree on the Bike-lust not ending. Had my Saber 2 weeks before doing the first upgrade (bought a pair of Zipp 404's at a local bike shop's going out of business sale. Hard to say no when they are clearing out stock below cost).
Quote Reply