Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Analyzing the position of the world's best cyclist
Quote | Reply
Time to have some off-season fun. We aren’t allowed to share fit info from the pro athletes we work with too often, but the new Zwift commercial with Matthieu van der Poel provides a unique look at how arguably the most dominant cyclist in the world right now fits on his bike. I took some captures from the video and used the excellent online tools from motionysys.com to measure joint angles.

We must make a few assumptions here. First, we must assume this Canyon bike (which is unreleased) is set to his exact fit coordinates. Next, we further assume there was enough resistance on the trainer so he was pedaling under a decent load. If the power numbers you can see projected on the wall at times during the commercial are, in fact, his, we can see he had at least some load on the trainer. Let’s just go with it and if it's wrong, it's wrong.

Knee Extension:

Wow, this is not an ST approved knee angle! This is the only number I would consider odd from his entire fit as he extends quite a bit here. I don’t know his fitter, but I can take an educated guess on who it is. Not wrong, mind you. I mean, good luck beating this guy in virtually any cycling discipline, so clearly this saddle height (approx. 80cm-80.5cm) is working, though that’s pretty high for a guy who’s 6’ (184cm) tall. You can also see he points his toes quite a bit at the bottom of the pedal stroke, though in another capture you’ll see he points his toes quite a bit at the top of his pedal stroke as well. Interesting. Perhaps a lack of ankle flexibility? I believe I know why his saddle height is here, but I’ll wait a while before revealing my thoughts.

Fore/Aft position

It appears to me MvdP is “in the middle” here with the center of his knee joint pretty much directly over the 5th metatarsal head of his foot. This is inline with where most World Tour riders have gone in recent years; about 1-2cm forward of where they had been traditionally, which was at least that much further forward from their predecessors long ago (70’s & 80’s – not that long ago for me). His Selle Italia Flite saddle sits approx. 85mm behind the bottom bracket (effective seat angle of approx. 74 degrees).

Back Angle

Very standard stuff here. We’re usually shooting for right around 43 degrees of back angle on the hoods for anyone racing, including age groupers. Notice his arms are very relaxed and his shoulders are not pulled forward reaching to his bars. Nice.

Reach

Again, backing up his relaxed arms, very standard at just over 81 degrees. Nothing to see here.

Hip and Knee Angles

MvdP is wide open. He’s a fairly tall guy, and I believe his cranks are 172.5 so he’s not going to close off much. Again, note the angle of the foot.

So, this position is about as vanilla as it gets. Other than the saddle height (perhaps), you could replicate this position for yourself and be pretty dialed in. In every way, except knee extension, it’s right in the range I put most WT riders. If not position, what do they do differently than you and me then? They push down on the pedals really, really hard.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Last edited by: Jim@EROsports: Jan 8, 20 8:28
Quote Reply
Re: Analyzing the position of the world's best cyclist [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what does he look like going full gas?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Analyzing the position of the world's best cyclist [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Analyzing the position of the world's best cyclist [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
If not position, what do they do differently than you and me then? They push down on the pedals really, really hard.
For a long time.
Quote Reply
Re: Analyzing the position of the world's best cyclist [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

Clear L-R imbalance at full gazz. Plus toe point is exacerbated. Total rookie.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't know much about his cross fit... but the "general consensus" from cross to road fit would be coming up (and forward) a bit... maybe it's just that simple?

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a feeling that this is a manifestation of might makes right. He's blessed with so much genetic potential that it'd take some majorly serious bad fitting to slow him down

ericMPro wrote:

Like someone who wouldn't mind giving peak Cancellara a tow to the line, knowing that he'd still have enough to dust off the latter in a sprint

scroll to 1:30 (this actually misses the part where he's really chugging along and towing people in the last 10 min of the race)

Last edited by: echappist: Jan 8, 20 9:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:

This is the correct question. MvdP, like many attacking riders, slides forward on his saddle when he goes hard. We refer to this as the "go" position, and we set the optimized saddle height for when the athlete needs it most. That means their more relaxed position will leave the saddle height high.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Analyzing the position of the world's best cyclist [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
If not position, what do they do differently than you and me then? They push down on the pedals really, really hard.
For a long time.

This, but exactly how much power are the putting out via the heel/upstroke?! Since the upstroke accounts for the majority of the stroke they are definitely incorporating power there. To think otherwise is bullshit. 😎
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim's post makes sense to me.

I would never setup my TT bike for lazy cruises in the country in Z1. It's optimized to go all out. I'm guessing that's what we're seeing here as others have said. He slides forward and hunkers down "on the rivet" and that position starts to make sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Analyzing the position of the world's best cyclist [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One has to look at Lionel Sanders. Seems ALL HIS POWER is coming from upstroke. (Prove me wrong)!
Quote Reply
Re: Analyzing the position of the world's best cyclist [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
One has to look at Lionel Sanders. Seems ALL HIS POWER is coming from upstroke. (Prove me wrong)!

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
RChung wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:

For a long time.

This, but exactly how much power are the putting out via the heel/upstroke?! Since the upstroke accounts for the majority of the stroke they are definitely incorporating power there. To think otherwise is bullshit. 😎

Please, please, please let this be sarcasm.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
ericMPro wrote:

This is the correct question.

You don't design the spacecraft for the coast to the moon, you design it for the moon landing.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.. to be fair .. in this pic he still sits like a crosser .. always being able to pull the bike out of the next mud hole again ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect the tow angle is an output from cross racing. ie: constantly forward on bike to accelerate and produce power / pull bike out of ruts/mud.

whatever he does, or however he sits, he is the most exciting rider I have ever seen in my 25 years following bike racing. adding to the legend was creating the split at worlds last year and ready to be the winner to then bonk and get dropped then passed by peleton proving, for once, he is actually human.

His rides at Flanders and Amstel last year was bike racing supreme. I cannot wait for the spring classics!!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This is the correct question. MvdP, like many attacking riders, slides forward on his saddle when he goes hard

Well this cannot be right because he's no longer adhering to KOPS!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:

The best cyclists actually unweight (pulling up isn't normal for any road cyclists) the least. They just push down really hard. There is a study of this somewhere if you care to search.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The saddle height could be something he's had since his teenage years. I'd be really cautious about changing anything he's accustomed to. Don't "fix" it if it ain't broken!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
like many attacking riders, slides forward on his saddle when he goes hard. We refer to this as the "go" position, //

We used to call that riding on the rivet. And I always felt that when you go to your drops, and pull all the way forward on the saddle like a triathlete time trialing, it was to get in a better position for spinning harder. My guess is that if their saddles were further forward and the bars further out, they would still be riding in the "go" position too. For the same reason we ride quite forward on our TT bikes, it is just easier to spin faster and stay on top of a gear..It would also act in his case to shorten up his saddle position, so it would not be as extreme as it looks when he is riding slack. SO perhaps he has chosen his position for this dynamic in his riding..
Last edited by: monty: Jan 8, 20 16:47
Quote Reply
Re: Analyzing the position of the world's best cyclist [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
thatzone wrote:

The best cyclists actually unweight (pulling up isn't normal for any road cyclists) the least. They just push down really hard. There is a study of this somewhere if you care to search.

I’ve seen the studies to some degree. But honestly why would we ignore majority of stroke and solely push down hard?? (Not arguing just stating).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
rruff wrote:
thatzone wrote:

I’ve seen the studies to some degree. But honestly why would we ignore majority of stroke and solely push down hard?? (Not arguing just stating).

Frank, is that you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
Because the human leg is really good at powerful downstrokes and really inefficient and terrible at powerful upstrokes. (This is consistent with, and more or less a consequence of, how humans walk and run.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:

That guy looks nothing like Danny MacAskill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:

Because it doesn't work to pull up... ?

I'm sure some people know exactly why it doesn't work, but not me. If I was to idly speculate I'd guess there are several contributing factors. We evolved to run and jump which uses similar muscles to pushing down on the pedals. Changing the direction of force application quickly is difficult. It's more effective to apply a force for 1/4 of a revolution at 100 rpm than 1/2 a revolution at 50 rpm, or an entire revolution at 25 rpm.

Heck even a typical engine only applies force for 1/4 of the cycle. Ponder that for awhile... ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next