Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
An update on my cardiac arrest
Quote | Reply
Hi All, figured I would provide an update along with some details on the cardiac arrest I suffered ~4 weeks ago (2/13) while running in Hawaii. More details in this thread: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy.: Triathlon Forum: Slowtwitch Forums

Background: I am 46, no history of any heart or major health issues, low cholesterol, low BP, low RHR, eat healthy (but certainly have my splurges in the off season), train 10-15 hours a week year around. I have been racing tri's since 2009, I have been competitive the last 3-4 years (USAT All American, usually topish in my AG and sometimes sneak onto the overall podium in local races.) I usually race three 70.3s a year and finish in the 4:55-5:05 range. I (regrettably) hadn't had any heart checkups or really even an annual physical in years. I was healthy and just didn't worry about things too much. Many different posts on ST had gotten me thinking about doing lab work each year as a baseline and getting some checkups, but I hadn't gotten around to it yet (if you learn anything from my experience.... do not wait on this, no matter how healthy you think you are.) And "no", I didn't have any real signs leading up to the event. Maybe my performance/numbers from my recent workouts weren't quite as good as normal, (slightly higher HR, slightly higher respiratory rate, etc) but I am bit undertrained right now since everything keeps getting cancelled, so I didn't think much of it.

On Feb 13th we were in Hawaii/Big Island on vaction (staying at the Fairmont Orchid) and I went for a run. As I was finishing my run and coming up the drive into the Fairmont I collapsed. Luckly a worker at the Fairmont was driving by and saw it happen, he went to the hotel to get help and the security team from the Fairmont ran out and started CPR (they were fully trained.) Called 911, EMT's showed up (thankfully there is a fire station just a mile up the QueenK.) CPR continued and the EMT's shocked my heart once which got things moving but I needed a second shock due to vFib. I was down for about ~5 minutes. My breathing came back and they tossed me in an ambulance to the North Hawaii hospital where I was medivac'd to the ICU at Queens on Oahu. They cooled my body to 34 degrees for 2ish days while trying to figure out what was going on, I was medically paralyzed and unconscious. I was having a hard time breathing so I was intubated. Lots of tests.. they performed an angioplasty and found my descending left artery to have 90% blockage just before it started to branch out. Stent placed. The rest of my heart looked good, no other blockages of note. LVEF (left ventricle ejection function) found to be at 20%. Eventually they started waking me up, getting the tube out of my throat (but they almost had to put it back in due to O2 issues.) I spent 9 days total on the ICU floor, 5 or 6 of those were critical care (they could have moved me but decided to just let me stay in my room.) I developed pneumonia during the event, so they had to work to get that cleared up. On day 9 I walked out of the hospital on my own power which seemed to stun the amazing team of doctors and nurses that spent the last week putting me back together. I left very sore, weak, and breathing was still a bit of a challenge, but overall I was alive and happy to be moving forward with life. I spent the next 7 days with my wife and mom in Honolulu recovering and preparing for the flight home (we have little kids and they returned to Seattle with my wife's parents... family is so key during something like this.) Also, I don't remember anything from the actual event. Feb 13th doesn't really exist in my world, completely gone (that is about the only mental effects I seem to have, otherwise I am 100%.) I don't remember having breakfast by the ocean that morning with my kids, I don't remember going for a run or having a medical issue. Zero memory whatsoever.

Now I am home. My bloodwork continues to improve (numbers were all over the place, but things are pretty much back to normal.) My chest (from CPR) is healing... it is 1000x better than when I left the hospital. I am wearing a "life vest" 24x7 (portable AED.) My cardiologist in Seattle is encouraged (and a little shocked) that I'm doing as well as I am. Four weeks in and I feel good... mostly normal. Lots of meds but I have mostly adjusted to them. Because my heart suffered so much trauma I was instructed to "limit activity to "living life""... basically don't do much. I have been taking walks and doing some very very light spinning on my bike (HR below 80.) I won't lie... not training or doing anything is driving me crazy. I also can't drive at the moment, just a precaution. Just had an echocardiogram and my LVEF is back up to 55%-60% (which is in the normal range), so that is very encouraging after only 4 weeks. Next appointment with my Cardiologist is next week, which will really be the next big step on what the future holds. They still need to determine if I need an ICD.

A HUGE thank you to the staff at the Fairmont... really can't say enough about this. From the manager Barbie to her amazing security staff who saved my life. I will forever be indebted to this amazing crew who took care of me and also made sure my family had everything they needed to get through this. I am returning to the big island and the Fairmont in June as I was supposed to be racing Honu with my wife to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary (this is actually 16th... last year was the planned "15".. but Covid;-/). So now I will be the cheering squad, but this is my wife's 1st 70.3, so I am happy to be out there cheering for her as she races for both of us:) My goal at the moment is simply taking one day at a time and cherishing every hug and kiss I get from my kiddos and wife... I tend to hold on a little longer these days. Life will go on, I have learned a lot and I have a new perspective on a few things medically.

As I understand things, the statistics of surviving an out of hospital cardiac arrest are very low... and then the likelihood surviving with zero mental or physical limitations is even lower. The more I read the more amazed and blessed I feel to still be here. (I am sure an expert can chime in on just what the statistics are on this type of situation.)

That's the story... happy to share anything, test results/numbers, along with answer any questions.

My race plans this year included: Oceanside, Honu, Washington 70.3, AZ 70.3 and Indian Well (lots of deferrals from last year :-/.) No idea if there is any chance of making it back for one of the late season races.. even if it was just a stroll to the finish line.

Two photos' that tell the story: Me in the ICU at the beginning of this whole thing and then me and my wife the day after I left the hospital.

Last edited by: gregtay: Mar 19, 21 9:49
Quote Reply
Re: An update on my cardiac arrest [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s one heck off a ‘before and after’ photo!

I watched that iron heart movie and coming back after a heart attack is a very doable, good luck on your continuing recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow man, I'm glad you're ok, that's a crazy story and it sounds like you're putting on an impressive display of recovery which is awesome.

You mention getting lab tests done, I'm assuming the blockage you're talking about that appears to be the main cause of this would have been picked up just via simple lab/blood work that our physician's ask to get all the time (that I/we ignore)? Or would it have taken further tests (read as more time off work/school/kids stuff) that is always so hard to schedule and take time for especially when it's yourself.

That 2nd paragraph is me minus a few years and really rings true. Thank you for sharing that. Big wake up call and again, glad you're doing well now and hope for your best in recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
were you wearing HRM/watch during that run and perhaps have data saved? more so I was going to ask how did you feel a few minutes before it happened but as you stated you lost memory of the whole event. Was wondering if there were any signs leading up to this we could watch out for. And yea, its strange if you say bloodwork is good that you had 90% blockage, but maybe that was a simple blood test?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you're recovering well - wish you all the best.
Quote Reply
Re: An update on my cardiac arrest [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
were you wearing HRM/watch during that run and perhaps have data saved? more so I was going to ask how did you feel a few minutes before it happened but as you stated you lost memory of the whole event. Was wondering if there were any signs leading up to this we could watch out for. And yea, its strange if you say bloodwork is good that you had 90% blockage, but maybe that was a simple blood test?

I was wearing my Garmin but unfortunately when they handed it to my wife about 12 hours after it was still running and she stopped and "discarded" the activity. She was obviously going through a lot at that moment and figured 12 hours of jibberish recording was useless and not something she wanted to keep. So we are missing all the data like HR and where I ran, etc. I did get the general HR data the Garmin tracks and it shows I was running for 1 hour, it's not detailed data but nothing looks too out of place. We did find out that less than 5 mins before I collapsed I ran past some friends of ours who were out on a walk, they said I stop breifly, said hello, and commented that i'd see them at the pool in a bit. They said I seemed totally fine, happy and not struggling or winded.

I didn't have any sort of full bloodwork before the event. My comment was that the times when I did have my cholesterol and/or BP recorded it was all fine, no concerns. After the event my numbers were all over the place, some very extreme (which is normal after something like that.) For the most part things are coming back to normal today.

Quote | Reply
Wow, and happy to hear about your outcome. I read your original post, which really hit home to me on many levels, including because I vacation in Hawaii almost every year. You really were incredibly fortunate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So happy to hear you are doing well!
Quote Reply
Re: An update on my cardiac arrest [jond81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jond81 wrote:
. You mention getting lab tests done, I'm assuming the blockage you're talking about that appears to be the main cause of this would have been picked up just via simple lab/blood work that our physician's ask to get all the time (that I/we ignore)? Or would it have taken further tests (read as more time off work/school/kids stuff) that is always so hard to schedule and take time for especially when it's yourself.

I am going to guess that if I had a full baseline of bloodwork as well as had a calcium scan (and/or whatever preventative heart tests you can do) they would have caught the blockage, or at least determined that something wasn't right and I needed more testing. @dtoce or one of the other heart experts would have a much better answer than me.

Last edited by: gregtay: Mar 18, 21 16:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your original post motivated me to get some blood work done and start eating healthier (turned 40 last year). Thank you for that. Glad to hear you are doing so well, take care of yourself brother.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it was @dtoce not @detoce, in case that matters in any way.

Thank you for your post, and to dtoce. I'm getting a calcium scan in a couple months.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for updating us. Glad you're making progress. Keep it simple!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:
Hi All, figured I would provide an update along with some details on the cardiac arrest I suffered ~4 weeks ago (2/13) while running in Hawaii. More details in this thread: Almost died this week, heart decided it wasn't happy.: Triathlon Forum: Slowtwitch Forums

Background: I am 46, no history of any heart or major health issues, low cholesterol, low BP, low RHR, eat healthy (but certainly have my splurges in the off season), train 10-15 hours a week year around. I have been racing tri's since 2009, I have been competitive the last 3-4 years (USAT All American, usually topish in my AG and sometimes sneak onto the overall podium in local races.) I usually race three 70.3s a year and finish in the 4:55-5:05 range. I (regrettably) hadn't had any heart checkups or really even an annual physical in years. I was healthy and just didn't worry about things too much. Many different posts on ST had gotten me thinking about doing lab work each year as a baseline and getting some checkups, but I hadn't gotten around to it yet (if you learn anything from my experience.... do not wait on this, no matter how healthy you think you are.) And "no", I didn't have any real signs leading up to the event. Maybe my performance/numbers from my recent workouts weren't quite as good as normal, (slightly higher HR, slightly higher respiratory rate, etc) but I am bit undertrained right now since everything keeps getting cancelled, so I didn't think much of it.

On Feb 13th we were in Hawaii/Big Island on vaction (staying at the Fairmont Orchid) and I went for a run. As I was finishing my run and coming up the drive into the Fairmont I collapsed. Luckly a worker at the Fairmont was driving by and saw it happen, he went to the hotel to get help and the security team from the Fairmont ran out and started CPR (they were fully trained.) Called 911, EMT's showed up (thankfully there is a fire station just a mile up the QueenK.) CPR continued and the EMT's shocked my heart once which get things moving but I needed a second shock due to vFib. I was down for about ~5 minutes. My breathing came back and they tossed me in an ambulance to the North Hawaii hospital where I was medivac'd to the ICU at Queens on Oahu. They cooled my body to 34 degrees for 2ish days while trying to figure out what was going on, I was medically paralyzed and unconscious. I was having a hard time breathing so I was intubated. Lots of tests.. they performed an angioplasty and found my descending right artery to have 90% blockage just before it started to branch out. Stent placed. The rest of my heart looked good, no other blockages of note. LVEF (left ventricle ejection function) found to be at 20%. Eventually they started waking me up, getting the tube out of my throat (but they almost had to put it back in due to O2 issues.) I spent 9 days total on the ICU floor, 5 or 6 of those were critical care (they could have moved me but decided to just let me stay in my room.) I developed pneumonia during the event, so they had to work to get that cleared up. On day 9 I walked out of the hospital on my own power which seemed to stun the amazing team of doctors and nurses that spent the last week putting me back together. I left very sore, weak, and breathing was still a bit of a challenge, but overall I was alive and happy to be moving forward with life. I spent the next 7 days with my wife and mom in Honolulu recovering and preparing for the flight home (we have little kids and they returned to Seattle with my wife's parents... family is so key during something like this.) Also, I don't remember anything from the actual event. Feb 13th doesn't really exist in my world, completely gone (that is about the only mental effects I seem to have, otherwise I am 100%.) I don't remember having breakfast by the ocean that morning with my kids, I don't remember going for a run or having a medical issue. Zero memory whatsoever.

Now I am home. My bloodwork continues to improve (numbers were all over the place, but things are pretty much back to normal.) My chest (from CPR) is healing... it is 1000x better than when I left the hospital. I am wearing a "life vest" 24x7 (portable AED.) My cardiologist in Seattle is encouraged (and a little shocked) that I'm doing as well as I am. Four weeks in and I feel good... mostly normal. Lots of meds but I have mostly adjusted to them. Because my heart suffered so much trauma I was instructed to "limit activity to "living life""... basically don't do much. I have been taking walks and doing some very very light spinning on my bike (HR below 80.) I won't lie... not training or doing anything is driving me crazy. I also can't drive at the moment, just a precaution. Just had an echocardiogram and my LVEF is back up to 55%-60% (which is in the normal range), so that is very encouraging after only 4 weeks. Next appointment with my Cardiologist is next week, which will really be the next big step on what the future holds. They still need to determine if I need an ICD.

A HUGE thank you to the staff at the Fairmont... really can't say enough about this. From the manager Barbie to her amazing security staff who saved my life. I will forever be indebted to this amazing crew who took care of me and also made sure my family had everything they needed to get through this. I am returning to the big island and the Fairmont in June as I was supposed to be racing Honu with my wife to celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary (this is actually 16th... last year was the planned "15".. but Covid;-/). So now I will be the cheering squad, but this is my wife's 1st 70.3, so I am happy to be out there cheering for her as she races for both of us:) My goal at the moment is simply taking one day at a time and cherishing every hug and kiss I get from my kiddos and wife... I tend to hold on a little longer these days. Life will go on, I have learned a lot and I have a new perspective on a few things medically.

As I understand things, the statistics of surviving an out of hospital cardiac arrest are very low... and then the likelihood surviving with zero mental or physical limitations is even lower. The more I read the more amazed and blessed I feel to still be here. (I am sure an expert can chime in on just what the statistics are on this type of situation.)

That's the story... happy to share anything other test results/numbers along with answer any questions.

My race plans this year included: Oceanside, Honu, Washington 70.3, AZ 70.3 and Indian Well (lots of deferrals from last year :-/.) No idea if there is any chance of making it back for one of the late season races.. even if it was just a stroll to the finish line.

Two photos' that tell the story: Me in the ICU at the beginning of this whole thing and then me and my wife the day after I left the hospital.

Wow, that is quite the story. Glad you are ok and still with us! I just wanted to say a couple of things, one, don't worry about the races this year. Give you body a good year at least, maybe two, to repair itself without the stress of a race. Obviously keep moving. I hear there are leadless ICDs these days which is probably the route I would go if it was me. I was a pacer/defib rep in the 2000s FWIW. Lastly, I hear you on the bloodwork. I always like to get a baseline test regardless of whether I have a physical or not. I have chimed in over the year on ST about it but I have used and worked with AthleteBloodTest for years. Really tailored to the performance athlete but also a great way to sign up for labs online, go get your blood drawn, and get a report back all with in a couple of days without the hassle of scheduling and getting to see your primary doctor.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: An update on my cardiac arrest [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Wow, that is quite the story. Glad you are ok and still with us! I just wanted to say a couple of things, one, don't worry about the races this year. Give you body a good year at least, maybe two, to repair itself without the stress of a race. Obviously keep moving. I hear there are leadless ICDs these days which is probably the route I would go if it was me. I was a pacer/defib rep in the 2000s FWIW. Lastly, I hear you on the bloodwork. I always like to get a baseline test regardless of whether I have a physical or not. I have chimed in over the year on ST about it but I have used and worked with AthleteBloodTest for years. Really tailored to the performance athlete but also a great way to sign up for labs online, go get your blood drawn, and get a report back all with in a couple of days without the hassle of scheduling and getting to see your primary doctor.

Thanks Thomas, it was actually your posts and reading your blog on this that got me thinking about getting a lab workup and starting to track things. Obviously, I never go the process started :-/... but I was looking into it about the time Covid hit and then I just abandoned anything involving the medical world. Wish I hadn't delayed it. But as soon as everything stabilizes (my labs are still a little off due to some of the meds I am on) I plan to get this going.

Quote | Reply
Wow! Scary because it's so close to home for most of us here. But fantastic that things are going well for you, praying that it continues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m really happy to see that ‘after’ picture. Also, wonderful news that you have had recovery of your heart function to normal. That bodes well for perhaps there not being a need for an ICD.

Enjoy every day and slowly build your fitness back. You will be doing much more soon.

Bloodwork would not have picked up early cad, a coronary calcium score may have...

Glad you are doing well at this point.

:)
Last edited by: dtoce: Mar 19, 21 16:14
Quote Reply
Re: An update on my cardiac arrest [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
I’m really happy to see that ‘after’ picture. Also, wonderful news that you have had recovery of your heart function to normal. That bodes well for perhaps there not being a need for an ICD.

Enjoy every day and slowly build your fitness back. You will be doing much more soon.

Bloodwork would not have picked up early cad, a coronary calcium score may have...

Glad you are doing well at this point.

:)

Thanks dtoce. Hoping for an encouraging progress report then I see the doc on Thursday.

Quote | Reply
Wow! Glad you are ok and there were people there to help in time!!

I was listening to a podcast last year (cant remember which one) but someone was saying that every athlete should have a calcium scan.. He said they are not normally covered by insurance .

I that day ordered one from University of Penn, It was only $150 and worth the piece of mind.

Do they think a scan would have caught your issue?

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you are on the way back. The original thread stuck in my mind and appreciate the positive update.

I was wondering if the cardiac event was in any way related to sitting during the flight and travel? I know they always tell us to get up and move about - this was not caused by a travel-related blood clot? Low resting pulse, dehydration; a perfect storm on a 4 hr flight for an athlete.

Thanks and best wishes, Slick
Quote Reply
Re: An update on my cardiac arrest [Slick_D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slick_D wrote:
Glad to hear you are on the way back. The original thread stuck in my mind and appreciate the positive update.

I was wondering if the cardiac event was in any way related to sitting during the flight and travel? I know they always tell us to get up and move about - this was not caused by a travel-related blood clot? Low resting pulse, dehydration; a perfect storm on a 4 hr flight for an athlete.

Thanks and best wishes, Slick

I don't think this was travel related (but who knows, could have been a factor.) Plus... in a non-COVID world I travel a ton for work, mostly 10-12 hour flights to Asia and Europe and I have never had any issues. I have flown in from Singapore and raced a 70.2 24 hours later, I have raced a 70.3 and driven straight to the airport with all my gear in my car and jumped on an afternoon flight (quick shower in the lake :-O.) Yes, not always the wisest thing, but I have a routine to minimize risk in these situations when my immune system might be depleted and body is recovering.

Quote | Reply
Not to hijack or anything, but is there a standard for whether and how often a calcium score should be updated?
Quote Reply
Re: An update on my cardiac arrest [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ACC suggests 5 years, especially if a 0 is obtained in the first score. Some do not do repeat scans if the CACS is >0, as there is already plaque noted. Some repeat the scan once if the initial score is >0, to get an idea of progression of plaque burden.

It is just one piece of data (but a very good one) and risk calculators are used in conjunction with this test and other tests (ie lipids and other lab work) to assess cardiac risk, along with Hx+PE.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I'm more of a lurker here. Anyway, I hope you get the ICD.

My father is a sudden cardiac arrest survivor with a story similar to yours (except he isn't an athlete - more like a constantly on the go man - grew up on a farm, avid gardener, etc.). His SCA happened at home while sitting down. No known cause found except he had one artery 70% blocked that was stented.

2 years later his ICD saved his life when he was having a massive heart attack. His only symptom was the ICD firing 4 times. He felt zero pain. He actually called me from the emergency room and said he felt fine. He had been under the care of doctors and cardiologists and a regular doctor. This cath showed major blockages and he went on to have a successful quadruple bypass. There is zero explanation how he went from a mostly clear cath to major heart disease in just 2 short years. (He's the healthiest eater I know. Eats almost nothing processed, tons of vegetables and fish, etc.) The good news is he is still here 10 years later! His doctors call him a miracle man as he shouldn't have survived either incident.

Best of luck to you on your recovery!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another quick update after my latest appt with my cardiologist. The first words out of his mouth "You walked through fire and didn't get burned." My four week echo test (along with my labs, etc.) indicated that my heart is "normal" and there are no signs that anything ever happened. Heart function is fully restored and they can not see any damage. Based on this, my Cardiologist gave me the green light to start living life a bit more normal. Next step is an echo stress test (running on a treadmill) in a month to test things a bit further. Some details:
  • My echo showed a normal LVEF.
  • My dr reviewed the video from my angioplasty (performed when I was in the ICU back in Hawaii) and confirmed there are no other areas of concern.
  • I am no longer wearing the LifeVest and I do not need an ICD. The theory here is that my risk is low and it is simply not needed.
  • Slowly backing off some of the meds (my BP was on the really low side) but I will stay on many of these for a long time.
  • I was given the okay to drive again :) (yeah!)
  • I was given the green light to start working out/training with some limitations. First, I need to build into things and listen to my body. For the next month (until we get the results from the Echo stress test) I need to refrain from any efforts that results in high respiration rates... basically no all out or hard efforts. This is fine... I probably need a month to just build some base fitness back up. I have no intentions of pushing things to far to fast... but it was nice to go out on Saturday and ride (Rouvy) for 2 hours at an endurance pace. I felt great.
  • My dr. commented that he doesn't see any signs of heart disease beyond the one spot where we believe a plaque ruptured and caused the issues. He believes my risk is low going forward. But of course... there is always some risk in life.
There is obviously some fear continuing to walk (or run:)) forward in life... fear that this could easily happen again tomorrow. My cardiologist summed it up this way: The meds we have you on now will lower the risk of another plaque (if one were to form) from rupturing. The meds "harden" the plaque and make it less likely to cause an issue. I am doing all the right things with exercise, eating right, not doing anything to destroy my body (drugs, smoking, etc.) So in his eyes, my risk of something happening today is actually lower than it was 6 months ago (it is crazy to think that I raced IMAZ70.3 this past Oct while so venerable.) We can't make things risk zero... that's life and we all die (and lots of people die of heart issues.) But overall things look good for me, there is no reason I should adjust my lifestyle or live in fear.

We asked if there was anything I could have done differently to prevent this from happening and he basically said no. It would have been difficult to catch prior to the rupture (but still possible some testing could have caught it, but it wasn't a guarantee.) In the end what he also had to say was that I was on the right track, I have been doing everything right. And he confirmed that triathlon (the training, eating right, and everything that goes with that) saved my life and allowed my body to come through this event literally unscathed. So... I should stay on the path I am on.

Another very important part to all of this is simply the fact that my event happened where I had someone observe it. They acted quickly and got help... and that "help" were the security guards just up the road at my hotel and they were CPR certified and fully trained and they did it right. People saw me in need of help and they jumped in and helped and they knew what they needed to do. The EMT's were only five minutes away (again... if they were 30mins away it likely wouldn't have turned out so well) and the Drs were quick to start induced hypothermia and didn't hesitate to call for a chopper and medivac me over to the Queen's ICU in Honolulu. I am going to plead with everyone to go get CRP trained or retrained... do it often. You never know when someone might need your help and I can tell you first hand that it makes difference, it saved my life.

My journey is far from over and I am sure the road back will have some hurdles, but for the most part I feel great, I feel totally and completely normal. I still have some emotional battles I deal with every once in awhile (almost dyeing and realizing you were close to never seeing your wife or kids again is a little heavy) but I can get through that stuff (all the extra hugs and kisses help!)

I plan on being at Hawaii 70.3 in June at the exact place I almost died 6 weeks ago... I will be there to cheer my wife on as she tackles her first 1/2 and celebrate my 16th wedding anniversary with the love of my life (if the race is cancelled again then we will still be there.. just more laying by the pool :).) We are staying at the Fairmont and I will get a chance to meet and thank the guys who jumped into action that day and saved my life.... I can't wait for that day.

Live every day to it's fullest and never look back.

Quote | Reply
Wow, what a story. Glad you are having such a positive outcome. We're the same age and after reading you're story, I'm training again starting tonight (haven't trained in 5 months due to everything I have going on in life at the moment). Thanks for sharing!
Quote Reply

Prev Next