Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
An hour at 100% FTP in training
Quote | Reply
In terms of aerobic development, would a continuous 60 minutes right at your FTP be a worthwhile training session (maybe once or twice a week, with all other sessions being L2/L3)? My rationale is that, since it's an hour long, it must be almost entirely aerobic, and since it's a maximal effort, it must provide the maximum aerobic training stimulus you can cram into an hour (well, an hour of steady state training anyway). Am I crazy? Or just ignorant?
Quote Reply
Re: An hour at 100% FTP in training [Hookflash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd definitely say no to often. It will be hard to walk for a couple days after.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think could recover from it in time to do anything else useful.

Why not do something like 4x 10 minute intervals at 95% FTP or something. A lot of the gain with less pain.
Quote Reply
Re: An hour at 100% FTP in training [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2. A true 100% hour effort is mentally and physically exhausting. Too much for a weekly thing.

One of the faults of TSS is that this short of effort is only 100 TSS. Does this look like it's the same stress as going Zone 2 for a few hours?
Last edited by: trail: Mar 3, 15 19:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Physically, I think many (pure cyclists) could handle it. Mentally, though, not so much, at least not without the benefit of competition (e.g., a weekly training TT series, which used to be - and in places, still is - quite common).
Quote Reply
Re: An hour at 100% FTP in training [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TunaBoo wrote:
I don't think could recover from it in time to do anything else useful.

Why not do something like 4x 10 minute intervals at 95% FTP or something. A lot of the gain with less pain.

I think you'd recover just fine if you're in decent shape. 1hr @ FTP is 100TSS, which is less than you get on a typical long outdoor ride.

Being able to endure pain of the last 10 minutes of the 60 minutes push is a different story, though - that's gonna hurt like all get out! But you will recover surprisingly quickly afterwards, even to the point that you could hammer it the next day if a 150 TSS day isn't a big deal for you.
Quote Reply
Re: An hour at 100% FTP in training [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I think you'd recover just fine if you're in decent shape. 1hr @ FTP is 100TSS, which is less than you get on a typical long outdoor ride.

Being able to endure pain of the last 10 minutes of the 60 minutes push is a different story, though - that's gonna hurt like all get out! But you will recover surprisingly quickly afterwards, even to the point that you could hammer it the next day if a 150 TSS day isn't a big deal for you.

Well this is part of where I think TSS lies. I can get 100 TSS on a "recovery effort" 90 minute ride.... and be fine the next day. I can get 100 TSS on a 100% ride.. and not be able to ride the next day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TunaBoo wrote:
lightheir wrote:

Well this is part of where I think TSS lies. I can get 100 TSS on a "recovery effort" 90 minute ride.... and be fine the next day. I can get 100 TSS on a 100% ride.. and not be able to ride the next day.

You'd be fine. I thought doing Sufferfest would mean I couldn't walk all day, and while I could barely stand right after the workout, 15 minutes later, and I felt surprisingly good, and later in the day, I felt like I was recovered. It's surprising, but true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You shouldn't be able to do 100% ftp in training unless you treated that training session as a race and detrained leading up to it. Which would leave you in worse shape afterward than if you had just trained normally and treated as a hard workout, in which you could probably, at best, do 95% ftp for an hour. I don't know. I know I have never even thought about trying to do an hour at ftp in a "workout". I save those efforts for races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
87% ftp ride for 90 min is not a "recovery ride"

any cyclist can ride fine the next day after an hour at 100%, hell, I have done back to back 40k TT race days and had no problem riding the next day

and to the person that said you cant walk the day after, this only applies to newbies to the 40k effort. once you work into it, it isn't much to get over. we have folks that will do 2-40k races in a single day, granted the second one is not as fast, but it is way more difficult than walking

I am not endorsing the idea, however
Last edited by: jeffp: Mar 3, 15 20:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
60 mins at 100% is a pretty hard effort to do in training, but 60, 90, or even 105 mins at 90-95% is a great workout. Start at 30 mins, filling out the ride at somewhere around 80-85% for a total of 105-120 mins. Then move up 15 mins each time you do it. I'd recommend once per week, mixed in with some other stuff like 2x20s and longer rides.

Also I agree with jeffp. 60 mins at 100% is hard mentally, but it shouldn't kill you physically in terms of recovery if you are decently trained.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I can get 100 TSS on a "recovery effort" 90 minute ride

I scoff at this. Your FTP is also wrong if you are achieving 100 TSS in a 90 min recovery ride. Either way, there is a lot of wrong going on

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: An hour at 100% FTP in training [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:

I scoff at this. Your FTP is also wrong if you are achieving 100 TSS in a 90 min recovery ride. Either way, there is a lot of wrong going on

Yeah, x2 on that. I def think your FTP number is off by a decent amount.
Last edited by: shimbike18: Mar 3, 15 23:19
Quote Reply
Re: An hour at 100% FTP in training [shimbike18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shimbike18 wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Quote:

+1: My 80 min recovery ride on Monday was a touch over 50 TSS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shimbike18 wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Quote:

Or he just rides hard and calls it a recover ride, for me, a recovery ride is the equivalent of a walk, I just cruise at 100w and enjoy the scenery.
Quote Reply
Re: An hour at 100% FTP in training [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Physically, I think many (pure cyclists) could handle it. Mentally, though, not so much, at least not without the benefit of competition (e.g., a weekly training TT series, which used to be - and in places, still is - quite common).

In the UK a regular week for a keen club cyclist might include a weekly club 10 mile TT or 25 mile TT, a 10 mile or 25 mile open TT at the weekend, a 5 or 6 hour 'social' club ride which degenerates into a race up all the hills, an insane 20 mile informal training bunch ride which degenerates into a road race, or a circuit road race mid week, on top of some structured training on a turbo and commuting daily to work. And some of these blokes are vets.

Not saying it's ideal training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of chest beating and testosterone in here. I have never done anything like 1hr35mins at 95% FTP. If I actually could do that I'm sure it would break me and I couldn't run or swim well in other training sessions. I also have never trained 100%ftp for an hour. For long course, it's usually 2 x 1hr at 85% or similar, which I find mentally taxing enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hookflash wrote:
In terms of aerobic development, would a continuous 60 minutes right at your FTP be a worthwhile training session (maybe once or twice a week, with all other sessions being L2/L3)? My rationale is that, since it's an hour long, it must be almost entirely aerobic, and since it's a maximal effort, it must provide the maximum aerobic training stimulus you can cram into an hour (well, an hour of steady state training anyway). Am I crazy? Or just ignorant?

Putting aside bike position, that's effectively going for your own personal hour record twice a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could only answer for myself and the answer would be an honest no.

Indoors I tend to get overheated in a continual effort and mentally I am just to weak to cope with it. I've at times made earnest efforts, but most of the time have either succumb to the heat build up and/or mentally breaking down about the 40 to 50 minute mark. However, I can deal with it if do like others stated and break the hour into 4 x 10's and end up with an IF of .95 for the overall average. Meaning that I am over 100% at times and under at times. The short breaks (about 3 to 4 minutes) spinning easier helps me cool off for a second with the fans blowing and get mentally prepared for the next interval.

Outdoor is impossible for me where I live. I cannot think of a place where I could do a solid 60 minute 100% effort due to traffic and other things. I can barely get in a solid 20 minute effort and have to drive about 45 minutes out of the city to get to a mountain climb.

Then there is the reality of recovery and being consistent day to day. I would rather train day to day than run the risk of residual fatigue starting to cause me to miss a day or two. That's just my preference. I do seem to recover with three consecutive days of higher intensity sessions broken into short duration intervals. My biggest difficulty is getting overheated and managing training stress is a close second.

With my fitness improving it seems like a decent way for me to skin this training cat at the moment. If I could be somewhat progressive and yet be consistent that is my chief goal. I believe I would break down if I tried to maintain a schedule that had a weekly or biweekly hour of power (100%) session.
Quote Reply
Re: An hour at 100% FTP in training [liversedge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
liversedge wrote:
that's effectively going for your own personal hour record twice a week.

Speaking of which: at least 3 former hour record holders (i.e., Ritter, Obree, Rominger) have followed up a 1st attempt with a 2nd one within 1 wk. All went further during their 2nd ride.

Just something for the likes of, e.g., Wiggins to think about...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shimbike18 wrote:
desert dude wrote:
Quote:

x3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At some point, you need to teach your body to go above your ftp instead of all workouts at or below that number. 5x6min at 105% will help raise ftp.

Ryan
Practical Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: An hour at 100% FTP in training [turby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turby wrote:
At some point, you need to teach your body to go above your ftp instead of all workouts at or below that number. 5x6min at 105% will help raise ftp.

+1. Go harder than your FTP for shorter periods and then cut the recovery time between intervals as you progress.

I am lucky enough to live about 15 minutes from a roughly 60 minute climb, so I can do 1 hour at FTP any day of the week. A couple of friends and I had an ongoing ITT contest for best time a couple of years ago, so every week we were doing basically a "motivated" 60min FTP. I found that I improved for about the first 3 weeks and then completely stagnated. The lesson is that the return on this type of workout will be limited. Once yor body becomes familiar with the effort, you won't improve much and it is time to move on.

P.S. Doing this on the trainer would be insane.
Quote Reply
Re: An hour at 100% FTP in training [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I did my full hour FTP test last year I was riding 10-12 hours / week. So not a ton, but enough to be in good shape. For the next 2 days after it felt like someone ripped my ass muscles off. And while I'm not a world beater I'm not bad either.

When guys post workouts like 3 hours 90%, 1.5 hours 95%, etc.....I just don't get how they can do that and recover to ride or run or swim again the next day! Maybe once you get to training 20 hours a week you can handle that. I can't even imagine attempting those workouts. I did 2 hours at 85% last year and almost reached the point of complete body shutdown. So these big high %FTP workouts I just don't get. I do lots of 2 x 20 and keep on improving. I should be knocking on that 4.6-4.7 w/kg range this season and again that's without putting massive efforts in through training. Maybe I'd be better with those crazy workouts, but it's a lot for me to even try to wrap my head around. I just don't recover well from those huge efforts.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: An hour at 100% FTP in training [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not run or swim and never get to 20hrs per week. if you have the pain, and I know the pain of which you speak, it is because you do not do the long hard efforts often enough. I recall my first 40k tt back in the early 90s. could barely even get down on the ground to sit afterward and getting back up was worse(actually felt a lot like the pirifomis sydrome I experienced in late 90s, only much more acute, just did not last as long) but as I came to do more TTs in the 21st century, the pain no longer occured. it probably helps that our TTs start out in the 20k range and progress to 30k mid season and 40k late season. I can no longer generate the debilitating pain of which you speak, no matter the effort(at least if I train myself into it progressively, not doing it after 2 years off the bike for example :). were it not for back pain, I would do a lot more of the 90% for 3+ hour rides, alas bulging disks and stenosis cause too much grief on the road, but not on the trainer(no way I am riding that on the trainer, not enough fans in my house)
Quote Reply

Prev Next