Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

An Ironman Wisconsin Thread
Quote | Reply
I have noticed that a good number of us are planning to be in Madison on September 7th and was wondering if, as the coming months go by, we could use the forum to keep in touch with training plans, visits to the course, thoughts on equipment to use on that rolling loop, etc., etc..

While I have finished Kona twice ("comfortably" in 1991 and barely in 2001) this will be my first go at a mainland IM...and after the glowing reviews from last years race, I am really excited to take part in it...in fact, it got me going again after a lllooonnnggg layoff after the winds on the Queen K left me beat up in a lot of ways in 2001.

I am in Madison often (maybe this weekend!), and know the course well. I went to the UW, my family lives there and being only about a 95 minute drive away from the city means I will be training there often. It would be good to have some like-minded people to train and swap stories with as we get closer to September.

FWIW, I plan on doing the Springfield Ironhorse in June and the new Dairyland Half Ironman in July as race prep....all on a jet black 11 year-old 700c Klein Quantum frame...albeit one with some pretty trick componentry! I've got one of Dan's classic black Kilo's with the HED wheels in the garage sitting next to it and it's still damn fast, but being 6' 1" and doing all the long stuff this summer on those rolling hills, I'm on the Klein.

Good luck in the training and maybe when we get out of this 18 degree weather we'll see some of you up there!

Best,

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: An Ironman Wisconsin Thread [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds good, mark. my wife and i will be there. we live around 3 hrs north in door county. i am hoping to ride the course and be in madison in april this year, last spring was nasty as all get out as you may recall - a bunch of us from another forum rode the course on memorial day weekend and it was POURING rain and 37 degrees (!!!). that was an epic day, but not one i want to do again. so here's to a better spring, and maybe a ride someday - lemme know if you are coming to door co like everybody else in chicago, and maybe i can hook you up with a nice ride and/or swim.
Quote Reply
indeed it was epic but one of the best days [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in the run up to Moooo for meeting everyone.

A very cool day out in torrential rain, the marathon the next day was great.

I will be back in 2004.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: indeed it was epic but one of the best days [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrew in your case you had freaking BETTER lemme know if you are around !! :)
Quote Reply
Re: indeed it was epic but one of the best days [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is not a doubt in my mind that I am coming back for 2004, not a doubt in my mind at all.

I'll be there with bells on.
Quote Reply
Re: An Ironman Wisconsin Thread [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-N-T:

My wife's folks have a place in Egg Harbor in Door County so maybe you can show me the best routes up there!

BTW I see where there is a new tri this summer starting at Fireman's Park in Verona (start of the loop) and using some of the course. IMW had a great start in that town!

Best,

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark,

do you have any more info on the tri?

I would love to get on the course once or twice before September.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm doing IM WI this year and would like to do some training on the course this summer. I would like to find others to train with who know the course and the area. Maybe we can set up some training weekends via this forum - or you can email me directly.

I'm also doing Springfield in June. Maybe we can hook up then. (Hopefully we will have a swim this year at the race.)

I have a Cervelo One (the old model) with a Renn disc. I don't have a front race wheel yet. I'm waiting to see what Frank has to offer later this spring. I'm pretty good a spinning up hills on the aerobars, so I'll be using my steep angled bike. I'll try to determine the correct gearing during a training ride on the course. I have a 12-23 cassette now, maybe I'll switch to a 12-27.

The really cold mid-west weather will gone in another month or two. Then we can get outside and ride. For now, I'm just building up my long run, swimming, and lifting. Sepember is still a long way off.
Quote Reply