Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Amsterdam to IM Maastricht via train?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have experience trying to get from Amsterdam Schiphol to Maastricht via train? Iā€™ll have my three youngish children, (awesome ironsherpa) wife, and bike bag all in tow. It looks like getting a car large enough would be kind of a pain.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Amsterdam to IM Maastricht via train? [tierkreis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is doable, but i would seriously consider renting a small van / suv.

All the posters below seem to be quite lucky with their travels by train, but the Dutch NS train system can also be very tricky if something does not go the way as planned. With 3 small kids there is nou doubt I would go by car. The parking isn't that bad at all in Maastricht because a lot of the better hotels have places reserved in the parking garages and they park the car for you most of the time.

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Last edited by: TRIPRO: Jun 2, 18 0:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is doable, but you would have to switch trains one time. Also, the dutch railroad system isn't all that cheap. It depends on the age of your children. If they're under 12, than I would consider it an option. The price for any person over 12 would be 25 euro's for one person, for a one-way trip. If you have any other question thatś not related to the race itself, just ask.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have not traveled to that area, but have a number of trips to Rotterdam via Amsterdam. Transit from Schippol via train is so easy, inexpensive and fun. Gather your bags, go downstairs and get on your train below the airport. I see no need whatsoever to get a vehicle while there. My GF has family there so we've been there twice just this past year. Easy to get around via train, tram and even Uber. Parking alone would be the biggest issue with a car/van.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tierkreis wrote:
Does anyone have experience trying to get from Amsterdam Schiphol to Maastricht via train? Iā€™ll have my three youngish children, (awesome ironsherpa) wife, and bike bag all in tow. It looks like getting a car large enough would be kind of a pain.

Its super easy but you do have to transfer somewhere, as Wilbert mentioned. The train system is great and comfortable as are the stations. Maastricht station is in the center of town so you do get dropped off very centrally. A lot less of a hassle, IMO, than renting a car.

Enkele Reis (one way), Maastricht!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tierkreis wrote:

When traveling for work, it's always been fairly easy to determine rail vs. car rental. However, the one time I've traveled with my family, I spent time considering car rental vs. rail pass (4 people).

Because the car rental was less expensive at first glance, we chose that. As an American, I forgot to factor in the considerably higher cost of fuel and parking. In the end, we probably spent more than rail passes, but it was nice to have the freedom.

With that out of the way. I was in Maastricht for CX Worlds this year and fell in love with it. Early morning runs through the city prior to it waking were incredible. Breakfast at Van Wijck was terrific. The area is incredibly beautiful. Color me jealous.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in NL last fall travelling between Amsterdam and Den Haag, and took the train.

As others have said, it's dead simple. When it comes to travel, the simplest solution is the best solution. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trainline.eu

Check fares
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered flying into Brussels instead? I have family living in Maastricht and they never fly out of Amsterdam.

-
[pink]I donā€™t use pink font[/pink]
Quote Reply
Re: Amsterdam to IM Maastricht via train? [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travel time - 2 hours 30 or 2 .45 depending on the trains you choose

cost - its 25 euro per person - kids under 11 travel for 2,50 bucks and kids under 3 are free

frequency - they go every half hour or so

transfer - you only need to swap trains once in a city called Utrecht and the trains leave from rails that are next to each other so you dont have to race across the station or stairs with your stuff

luggage - they charge 7 euros to take a bike - they dont let you travel weekdays around 9am and 6pm with a bike - there is a speical bike caboos which allows a bit more space for your bags and bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

Thanks for all the responses and helpful advice. I thought Iā€™d share my experience for those looking to do the race in the future. After considering the options, my wife and I decided to go the train route. We thought it would be a ā€œfunā€ experience for the kids to travel around some of Europe via rail and we have absolutely no regrets. It was really easy to pick up the tickets from Amsterdam Schiphol to Maastricht. It's about a 2.5-3 hour trip with an easy transfer part way through. The signage and platforms were easy to work with and the people were great. There was actually an issue with one of our trains and some of the passengers turned us on to two apps that make the entire process super easy. The first is ā€˜9292ā€™ and the second is from the NS rail company ā€˜NS Reisplanner Xtraā€™. They both allow you to punch in where you are and where you want to go and theyā€™ll tell you trains, times, and platforms. I prefer the NS app as it also tells you the stops along the way and can buy the tickets online (in Dutch, but easy to figure out). Shepherding the bike and luggage for a family of five was pretty painless as well. Since it was bagged up (Evoc), I didnā€™t have to pay extra for the bike, but you do have to be careful that it isnā€™t blocking any passages in the train. If I were to do it again I would definitely stick with the trains.

Cheers,
Brian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tierkreis wrote:
Hi All,

Thanks for all the responses and helpful advice. I thought Iā€™d share my experience for those looking to do the race in the future. After considering the options, my wife and I decided to go the train route. We thought it would be a ā€œfunā€ experience for the kids to travel around some of Europe via rail and we have absolutely no regrets. It was really easy to pick up the tickets from Amsterdam Schiphol to Maastricht. It's about a 2.5-3 hour trip with an easy transfer part way through. The signage and platforms were easy to work with and the people were great. There was actually an issue with one of our trains and some of the passengers turned us on to two apps that make the entire process super easy. The first is ā€˜9292ā€™ and the second is from the NS rail company ā€˜NS Reisplanner Xtraā€™. They both allow you to punch in where you are and where you want to go and theyā€™ll tell you trains, times, and platforms. I prefer the NS app as it also tells you the stops along the way and can buy the tickets online (in Dutch, but easy to figure out). Shepherding the bike and luggage for a family of five was pretty painless as well. Since it was bagged up (Evoc), I didnā€™t have to pay extra for the bike, but you do have to be careful that it isnā€™t blocking any passages in the train. If I were to do it again I would definitely stick with the trains.

Cheers,
Brian

Thanks for the update Brian. I was thinking of maybe doing that race next year, as my GF has family in Holland. Having done some trips there this past year, the train system is so easy and workable, but your app suggestion is great. Thanks! How did you like the race?
Quote Reply
Re: Amsterdam to IM Maastricht via train? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a great time at the race, though there were definitely some hiccups Like so many races this year, it was somewhat down to the wire if it would be wetsuit legal; it wasn't. I was actually happy for this as I wanted to get that first full distance without the suit out of the way and not worrying about it while training was nice way of getting it done. The bike course was great as most of it is through the countryside on small roads (well marked and in pretty good condition). It was fun getting some of the European cycling vibe with the crowds, particularly on the climbs chanting and cheering. Unfortunately I somehow cruised past my special needs bag with the second half of my nutrition. So, it was also my first time depending on the race course nutrition (again something I was eager to try "some day). The run was kind of brutal, Turns out I'm not much of a fan of the four loop course. Half way through the second lap and the fourth just seems so . . far . . away. What was fantastic though was the post race ice bath! Oh man chilling out in the iced pool with the post race meal chatting about where the frack the support bags were with the other racers was a fun experience. I say go for it! .
Last edited by: tierkreis: Aug 17, 18 18:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it to get to Amstel Gold Race. It was about a 2.5 hr train ride with all the stops, pretty straightforward.
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Aug 17, 18 19:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tierkreis wrote:
I had a great time at the race, though there were definitely some hiccups Like so many races this year, it was somewhat down to the wire if it would be wetsuit legal; it wasn't. I was actually happy for this as I wanted to get that first full distance without the suit out of the way and not worrying about it while training was nice way of getting it done. The bike course was great as most of it is through the countryside on small roads (well marked and in pretty good condition). It was fun getting some of the European cycling vibe with the crowds, particularly on the climbs chanting and cheering. Unfortunately I somehow cruised past my special needs bag with the second half of my nutrition. So, it was also my first time depending on the race course nutrition (again something I was eager to try "some day). The run was kind of brutal, Turns out I'm not much of a fan of the four loop course. Half way through the second lap and the fourth just seems so . . far . . away. What was fantastic though was the post race ice bath! Oh man chilling out in the iced pool with the post race meal chatting about where the frack the support bags were with the other racers was a fun experience. I say go for it! .

Thanks for the reply! It does sound like a fun time. I've done a full run with 4 laps, so understand but I usually concentrated on the fact that I was never that far away from the end spot so it seemed easier than a complete out and back or loop. In fact my first IM I picked Florida, as I theorized I was never more than 10k away from the finish area. Thanks again for the info.
Quote Reply